Couple in The Independent today

• 71 posts
    August 20, 2013 3:21 PM BST
    Hi all,
    Not sure if any of you have seen but there is a huge centre page spread in The Independent today about a TG couple...

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/an-unusual-love-story-boy-formerly-girl-meets-girl-formerly-boy-8775000.html

Good article, I thought, sensible and sensitive. Sadly, the knuckle draggers who posted online comments have been so offensive that The Independent has removed them all. I did read some of them early this morning when I was checking the news... There were many very nice and considerate messages but again, the debate has been taken over by trolls. It was not pleasant.

It's a real shame as there have been a couple of features on This Morning recently about TG issues. I kinda thought people could move on... That finally TG was getting sensitive reporting....
    I must be on a different planet!

This is of course, relevant as Em goes through transition. I can only hope that we don't suffer any unpleasantness...

Not quite sure what my point is... Just feeling a little anxious about things! Thought I'd share it with some nice people...

Xx
    • 143 posts
    August 20, 2013 3:48 PM BST
    Hey Elle - Thanks for sharing that story of the TG couple. I too quickly take note of any news on TG people or issues. It is great to see two people with a great outlook, a positive self image, and a good relationship. I also agree that there are far too many knuckle-draggers and they do overwhelm the media both in writing and their loud, obnoxious, belching voices. Even this article notes in the closing paragraphs a feminist and her take on the matter - I wonder does she know this person, is she qualified to give an opinion, ? - I understand the media's veiled attempt to be PC, but is it really? Does this mean that with any given story all it takes is some imbecile with an angry vacuum for a brain and they are quoted as if they know what they are talking about? The article was about them - it should stand alone and if one wishes to mention detractors, do so on the side and give the couple their voice and the ability to talk of their struggles and how they deal with it so as to illustrate the goals. ( These were mildly mentioned, but again, we walk away with someone else who is not part of the story and not relevant at all really with her thoughts on the matter - All the more reason I refer to her parenthecially here ). The couple is the story and kudos to them and all the best on their journey to being who they are. Again Thanks Elle. hugs, Briana : )
    • 71 posts
    August 20, 2013 4:23 PM BST
    Well, Greer does cause reaction whenever she is called upon... And no, she isn't really relevant in this love story. How truly lovely it would be if people stopped sticking their opinions down the throats of others! I know she is an academic and trying to challenge us all but I think we have enough challenges!
    Louis and Jamie here have been very courageous to tell their story, particularly as they have to deal with the public (who increasingly seem to think its ok to say what is on their mind, invited or not).
    As for Greer.. If you are MtF why on earth would you want to be a masculine woman, or challenge the traditional gender roles? And vice versa for FtM gentlemen. Surely, these are the roles you strive and need to be? I think that is what Greer was moaning about.
    (I hope all that makes sense and that I haven't inadvertently offended anyone!)
    Why can't we all just be who we are? Without comments, bullying, trolling, condescension, phobia...

Sorry but I'm a bit on a soap box today. Been some hideous articles in the press today about how vile people can be.

• August 20, 2013 4:59 PM BST
    And thank god there are people like you shouting from the soapbox Elle!
    As for the future, what will be will be. There is very little point in living in fear of what may or may not happen.
    I think on the whole you will both be very pleasantly surprised. And! You grow stronger every day, it's already 2nd nature. Doesn't take too long to become 1st!
    You and Em are both very savvy women, trust me, you'll breeze this! Xxxxx
    • 71 posts
    August 20, 2013 6:03 PM BST
    Thanks Maggie! If we get any grief, we could also threaten to 'let Maggie out to come get yer' !!
    Ha ha.
    That's after I belt them with my soap box...

Xx

• 146 posts
    August 20, 2013 6:31 PM BST

Nice article Elle , the downside was the Germaine Greer comment. Transgender people have a hard enough life as it is .predisposed to be rarely heard in public  and  certainly not afforded the media platforms that GG has had.

In contrast I liked the simple humility of two people just wanting to get on with their lives  and be themselves.