Astronomy Geeks R US

• August 26, 2014 12:28 PM BST

The Saturn pic was taken with a webcam type camera made by some French amateurs. I used a freeware application for windows called Registax. It used about 2 minutes worth of images (about 2000 frames) and the software helps to counteract the turbulence in the atmosphere by selecting the most stable moments of "seeing". The telescope used was a Meade 8-inch LX90 riding on a NEQ6pro. I "deforked" the LX90 as I found the altazimuth forks a bit limiting for taking pics.Some people have successfully used mobile phone cameras for planetary imaging through telescopes.

If you get a clear dark sky the Andromeda galaxy should be an easy naked eye object these days. We lack any real bright galaxies in the southern hemisphere skies. Andromeda barely rises above the horizon from Sydney.

• October 8, 2014 12:24 PM BST

The weather here did not help with watching the Total Lunar Eclipse, managed to get this pic through a lucky break in the cloud.

This post was edited by Former Member at October 8, 2014 2:24 PM BST
    • 1652 posts
    October 8, 2014 12:31 PM BST
    Nice one Bernadette, you captured the redness of the "blood moon".
    The moon was actually really bright here last night, probably could've driven without headlights!
    xx
    • 143 posts
    October 8, 2014 2:27 PM BST
    Sweet Moon photo Bernadette. I was up early and watched it near the western horizon before we spun out of way and it ducked below into some trees, but it was heavily shadowed and a nice shade I might add. An outfit in that color would look stellar. The weather was quite clear so seeing was quite good. The air is cooler and less humid at this time so it helps a lot. Keep looking up Ladies : )
    • 143 posts
    October 22, 2014 9:48 PM BST
    Hello Astro Girls - Here's a great Sun video with crackling sunspots!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J19vi8UPKck

Enjoy! : )
    • 143 posts
    October 24, 2014 3:11 PM BST
    Hey Astro Girls - did you see the partial eclpise! 10-23-14 - too cool! 
  • October 29, 2014 5:43 AM GMT

Here's the sun shot from the back garden earlier today Laughing I've numbered the sunspots by comparing this one with the NASA photo.