New Guidelines on Gender Dysphoria Treatments

• October 25, 2013 12:21 PM BST

New guidelines for the treatment of people having gender dysphoria have just been issued by the Royal College of Psychiatrists which are now much more helpful for people.

This is a 'must read' document for anybody who wishes treatment under the NHS for gender dysphoria and is quite groundbreaking in its approach to treatments.

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/files/pdfversion/CR181.pdf

• 2017 posts
    October 25, 2013 8:53 PM BST

That's a very informative piece Carol, it's nice to know that things are getting easier all the time. It's certainly better than my generation had. 

• October 27, 2013 1:13 PM GMT

Oddly enough, back in the early 1970's when I started my transition, administration of cross sex hormones before transition to full time living and working was considered to be part of the pathway.  This decision was reversed around 25 to 30 years ago - but thankfully, they have finally seen sense.

• October 28, 2013 1:15 AM GMT

Seems like helpful info but kinda differs from the US a little, for example; The British Endo's there state 'biological males have no Progesterone receptors' well, that's not true at all. I have studied Endocrinological Science for some years and I can tell you both biological male and female karyotypes have the 'same number' of receptors for 'all' hormones. The only difference is what is known as the 'pre-programing' stage this is where prior to the age of 10 as a rule the receptors are primed even with the small amounts of endogenous sex hormones. Science has always based itself upon this belief. There is an element of truth, but introduction of reverse hormone stimuli to make way for saturation of receptor cells is a proven fact works regardless what karyotype genesis. Both XX and XY or any karyotype containing an X chromosome will experience exactly the same effects with progesterone as estrogen ie; breast soreness, fluid retention, possible depression, increased 'for a short time only' libido followed by lack of libido brought on by change in hormone state in both natal and trans females alike, mood changes, tiredness hence progesterone should be taken of the evening and not morning. So it is untrue to say biological male genotype tissue has no progesterone receptors.

The same is assumed for women whom have had a full hysterectomy that progesterone is no longer needed. Not true. New scientific data verifies this.

In fact, there is not an organ within the human body that does not have a progesterone receptor.

Estrogen therapy taken alone can in some cases promote insomnia, it is for this reason estrogen replacement is preferably not taken too late in the evenings, more desirable to be taken before 8:00pm if divided doses are preferred otherwise take in the mornings.

Also, the pg/ml to pmol/L conversion was not accurate on the latter calculation.

Different doctor's have different approaches regarding dose of hormone in particular estrogen's. Receptor's can only saturate so much otherwise they become over saturated and this is where problems may occur.

I saw no estrogen data for 'post-op' trans women? It kinda gave a misleading impression one remains on the same dose estrogen?

I can't figure how it has been proven that gender dysphoria is not a psychiatric phenomena yet they still subject transgender people as such? I believe all people should be left to their own devices as it is each individuals right to choose.

I truly hope I haven't spoke out of term here as that is the last thing I intend, it's just I take Endocrine Science seriously and feel I have to speak up if something is either wrong, interpreted wrong or misleading.

This post was edited by Former Member at October 28, 2013 1:20 AM GMT