Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » TG Books » The Man Who Would Be Queen:

The Man Who Would Be Queen:

Tags : None
  • In 2003, psychology professor and sex researcher J. Michael Bailey published a book entitled The Man Who Would Be Queen: The Science of Gender-Bending and Transsexualism. The book’s portrayal of male-to-female (MTF) transsexualism, based on a theory developed by sexologist Ray Blanchard, outraged some transgender activists. They believed the book to be typical of much of the biomedical literature on transsexuality—oppressive in both tone and claims, insulting to their senses of self, and damaging to their public identities. Some saw the book as especially dangerous because it claimed to be based on rigorous science, was published by an imprint of the National Academy of Sciences, and argued that MTF sex changes are motivated primarily by erotic interests and not by the problem of having the gender identity common to one sex in the body of the other. Dissatisfied with the option of merely criticizing the book, a small number of transwomen (particularly Lynn Conway, Andrea James, and Deirdre McCloskey) worked to try to ruin Bailey. Using published and unpublished sources as well as original interviews, this essay traces the history of the backlash against Bailey and his book. It also provides a thorough exegesis of the book’s treatment of transsexuality and includes a comprehensive investigation of the merit of the charges made against Bailey that he had behaved unethically, immorally, and illegally in the production of his book. The essay closes with an epilogue that explores what has happened since 2003 to the central ideas and major players in the controversy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3170124/    Read on

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
      October 30, 2013 12:50 PM GMT
  • That was quite a read Christine and shows just how awful the trans community can be, and I know quite a few of us here can point to occasions when we have been turned upon, simply because of having a different opinion on a particular matter. 

The trans community paints itself as being downtrodden and victimised and it's true, it has not been an easy ride for us, but I have personally seen how back stabbing it can also be. Bizarrely, all of the incidents I have been involved in were from post op women with an almost 'holier than thou' attitude! 

It's good to see something like this posted and demonstrates how unbiased you yourself are Chrissie. 

I would love to see other people's thoughts on the matter. 

Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      October 30, 2013 5:13 PM GMT
  • God bless.

November 6, 2013 3:45 PM GMT