Coming out at work, and the internet Age?

• 146 posts
    January 9, 2014 9:53 PM GMT

Hi All,  Thought I would share a predicament I will face at work in coming out . It goes like this  I have been working in my present Job role for over a year, and like many my identity appears in work databases .Specifically for me , As I answer techical questions on behalf of the company I work for . There is a permanent viewable searchable record of me in my former gender. I will just have to accept this is the case , knowing that anyone who accesses this information will identify me as transgenderd. Whilst I accept this , I am concerned that it might be treated  negatively ,  . In time though the data layers build up and I am sure this will dispappear

• 48 posts
    January 9, 2014 11:47 PM GMT
    I think it is a fact of life Donna. The notion of "stealth" I think is difficult anyway. I have taken the view that I am proud of who I am, where I have come from- and where I am going. I will never deny who I am or was. We all have a footprint in the online world, it s a fact of modern life. Equally, the online world has given us so much, so we must accept some negative connotations I guess. I'm sure your colleagues will embrace the real you Donna. Good luck, as ever. X
    • 146 posts
    January 11, 2014 9:39 AM GMT

Hi Emma, 

You are absolutley right , . Stealth and considering it is Transient , and the pluses of the Internet Age fro trangndererd people outweighs the minuses. Its been a busy exhausting week for me at work.I am pleased that at I have made the step and reaction at work. One thing I will say is that its really helpful to have the gendersociety site and these forums, so we can capture our experiences at the moment and share. 

My shared thought is that in "coming out "  Transgendered People have a huge hidden resource  of consideration for others 

So show you are willing to understand the difficulties concerns  your Boss,work colleagues, company  may have and direct  your energy to communicating with them.

Be open , and show consideration that you will inform and agree with them before making a change. 

You have told them that You have been in denial of yourself , - so you need to give them time , 

Its a nice day , despite the recent rains , time to take the dog for a walk   ..X

• 2017 posts
    January 13, 2014 2:31 PM GMT

Trying to live in stealth is, I believe, a complete nonsense. It's just not possible to erase everything these days but you shouldn't let it worry you. Enbrace your past, everything you have done in your life has brought you to this point after all. 

I transitioned at work, everyone is aware of that and I have never tried to hide the fact that I am trans, it works for me. I'm sure it depends on who you work for and your country of residence as well, (various laws to protect TS's vary from country to country), but overall, people will respect you for who you are and the job you do. They don't see a trans person anymore, they just see you. 

• 146 posts
    January 13, 2014 9:13 PM GMT

Hi Nikki,

Thanks ,You are completely right it is complete Nonsense.I feel that now ,but did not in the  past when fear prevailed.

Its taken me a while to get here and your right to say that your past has brought you to the present .

Things seem to have happened very fast last week,since "coming out " to my boss and the immediate management being informed.Guess I was just reacting the Out of the ordinary Event.   I am not trying to hide fact I am trans, I am pleased that my boss just seems to be carrying on  as normal. I feel happier in myself and so I hope this shows at work. 

Donna X

• 2017 posts
    January 14, 2014 2:45 PM GMT

I think your happiness will shine through at work Donna, if only because you now have nothing to fear or to hide, what a relief that is! 

I know I'm biased but it has been noted in the UK that transsexuals make excellent employees because having found an understanding boss/company to work for, they usually stay there and work hard because they are happy.