Help Needed!

• 178 posts
    May 26, 2014 9:58 AM BST

My wife is currently writing a book - fiction - in which one of the main characters, a young male dancer who has had gender issues all his life decides to transition, and does so effectively, and continues in her career. Her transition takes place in the mid to late Sixties. I wonder if anybody out there would care to share their understanding of the social climate of that period in relation to those who transition, and the practicalities too. Any personal experiences would be great, and will be held in total confidence.

I should add that the story paints a very positive and affirming picture of those who transition!

Please either post comments here, or if you prefer, PM me. Thanks in advance,
    Amanda.

• 2573 posts
    May 30, 2014 8:11 PM BST

First question:  Where.  This is very important.  Nowhere was remotely as accepting of SRS back then.  Most people did not know it existed before Christine Jorgensen.  Most people did not understand why anyone would want SRS and even today M.D.s can be clueless and insentitive.  You could die for being trans back then at a rate far beyond today's awful statistics.  At 11 y/o the only remotely TG info I found in the library was essentially: "transvestite=a man who wears women's clothing.""  That was it in total. 

But everyone one knew what to do with one.  They are different, i do not understand them, get rid of them.

Places that are TG "friendly" today were awful back then.   Pick your location and then as people in my age group (their sixties) what it was like.  I couldn't find out what was "wrong" with me.  You will have to dig even to find someone who knew anyone TG back then....except a TG person...if they understood what was going on...and if they would dare to tell anyone. I was stunned to find that my childhood state was one of the first to legalize same-sex marriage.  I feared total social rejection at best and violence/death if i even ASKED about my questions.  Usually mothers were more accepting, and still are, upon finding their child is "that way". Father's tend to be violent and totally ignorant.  Not all.

TG persons might have had more acceptance in Europe back then.  A Colonial American governor openly "cross-dressed" and things did not turn out so good for him.(her?).  I cannot recall the name, but a Frenchman cross-dressed to Spy and ended up being ordered to dress female, for the rest of his life, by the King.  I have often wondered if that was his reward for services rendered.

What field of dancing?  Stage, Ballet, Stripping, Morris, Ballroom?

Find a "technical expert"   You may find someone hear who grew up in your place of interest.  You have your work cut out but research of period/place is part of the craft of writing.

What was family's religion (you better have one back then)  Madeline Murray fought for people's right to be atheists.

Ask yourself why you picked that place and period.  Is it central to the story?

I would love to read it when you finish.  Best of luck.

This post was edited by wendy larsen at May 30, 2014 8:17 PM BST