Obama announces executive order

• July 1, 2014 7:19 PM BST

President Barack Obama announced Monday that he would take additional executive action to protect LGBT workers by signing an executive order to protect transgender federal employees from discrimination.

During the White House’s annual LGBT Pride Month reception, which has been held every year since Obama took office, the president said he would take such action in addition to a long-sought executive order announced earlier this month prohibiting federal contractors from discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.

“If Congress won’t act, I will. I have directed my staff to prepare an executive order for my signature that prohibits discrimination by federal contractors on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity,” Obama said. “And I’ve asked my staff to prepare a second executive order so that federal employees –- who are already protected on the basis of sexual orientation –- will now formally be protected from discrimination based on gender identity as well.”

• July 1, 2014 7:22 PM BST

This is a promise he made to the LGBT community when he was elected. How do you feel about this?

• 2127 posts
    July 3, 2014 2:26 PM BST

Sounds like a step in the right direction.  Pity it's taken so long though.