Hairloss Concerns

• 2573 posts
    July 30, 2014 9:59 PM BST

Friend asked me to check for her:

Could you check to see if any t-girls you know take Provera (medroxyprogesterone) and if they experienced any thinning of hair?  I read that it could cause hair to become thin and more fine.  Also it seems that takin progesterone is optional for hrt.  I'm wondering if I should cut back on progesterone and increase estrogen.  I currently take 4mg oral estrodiol and 5mg provera (medroxyprogesterone) orally a day, and 100mg spiro
     I'm too scared to stop, don't want to lose my hair

[This person has been on hormones for years and needs to stop for medical-insurance reasons (AT LEAST UNTIL AFTER SOME SURGERY)as they do not live in a T - friendly state in the USA.]

GS never recommends taking hormones without medical supervision.

This post was edited by wendy larsen at January 19, 2016 8:38 AM GMT
    • 746 posts
    August 11, 2014 11:57 PM BST

Not only hair loss, but increased body hairs!!!  Use Dutasteride to stop T turning into DHT, which is the nasty form of T that is primarily responsible for male hair loss....from what i've learned, there is no real need to use progesterone....and spiro ought not be needed after a period since the E ought to drive down your T levels by itself to reasonable levels.

Hope this is helpful...

Traci xoxo

• 2573 posts
    October 8, 2014 2:11 AM BST

Traci,

after passing on your DHT related info I am hearing a lot of that from my friend.  Seems like your advice has stimulated more research on their part into that issue and has been helpful.

• 746 posts
    October 8, 2014 5:18 AM BST

Hope it helps Wendy!!!

xoxo

• 8 posts
    October 8, 2014 12:51 PM BST

personally, I go with micronised progesterone. Dutasteride is the goto DHT blocker, but micronised progesterone does as well at that and "potentially" other benefits. Everything has pros and cons. 

• 746 posts
    October 9, 2014 2:05 AM BST

Becky, I know a few girls who have used progesterone (micronized) that saw increased rapid body hair growth from it's usage...

Traci

• 8 posts
    October 9, 2014 5:23 AM BST

I dont doubt that Traci - there is a whole gamut of reported reactions and side effects to all of the medications we use. There is no concensus on its usefullness - but some people love it, others think it a waste of time and money.

One other point on DHT blocking worth mentioning - an initial thinning of hair is normal...you will shed hair, especially on Duterasteride. It will grow back though - you just have to grin and bear it for the long term benefits

This post was edited by Becky DQ at October 9, 2014 5:42 AM BST
    • 746 posts
    October 9, 2014 5:55 AM BST

So True Becky!  I did shed with Dutas. and have regrown nicely!

Traci xoxo

• 2573 posts
    November 27, 2014 8:10 AM GMT

Thanks girls.   Will probably see you in January, Traci.  Trip is in early planning stages on both sides.  Same place as last time.  We will be going out of town/state but I will try very hard.

• 746 posts
    November 27, 2014 7:19 PM GMT

Give me enough lead time and we'll hopefully get togther!

Traci xoxo