This is where the fun begins...!?

• 26 posts
    July 31, 2014 8:59 PM BST

As I am now six weeks from surgery, I have had to stop applying my estrogen patches as per my surgeons instructions.

Could any one advise me on what to expect as I've been told to expect all sorts of things, e.g. hot flushes, irritability, tiredness.

Sarah xx

• August 2, 2014 10:27 AM BST

Hi Sarah.

I am no expert but when George Clooney turns up on your door step I guess you may experience some hot flushes. Irritability? Depends if you have any allergies to the huge Bouquet of flowers he brings you. Be careful what you wish for! He could make you very tired.

Sorry I could not resist that.  I am sure someone will give you a real answer but , because you are a unique individual that will not mean you will be the same or experience the same as others.

Take care , Julia xx

• 26 posts
    August 2, 2014 11:09 AM BST

That made me smile, Julia. Thank you! Smile

Sarah xx

• 1652 posts
    August 4, 2014 10:22 AM BST
    Hi Sarah. I was (and am) on estrogen tablets and gel. I think I only had to stop for a couple of weeks before surgery, and I don't recall it being too bad, perhaps excitement takes over!
    One recommendation I would give if it's not too late in your case is to gradually reduce your dose rather than suddenly stop one day. I did this over a period of 2 months and hardly noticed a thing.
    Shortly after surgery however, you will very likely be experiencing hot flushes! A week or two back on the estrogen sorted this out for me though. 
    I really didn't find it a rollercoaster ride or anything like that, noticeable at times but something you just have to get on with, and all part of the fun.
    xx
    • 26 posts
    August 13, 2014 9:49 PM BST

Two weeks without patches and the mood swings are vicious. Happy to miserable and back within a few hours. I'll get through it though, I have to.

Sarah xx

• 26 posts
    August 22, 2014 10:50 PM BST

Happy to report things have calmed down a bit mood swing wise.

Getting a little nervous now, though!

Sarah x