Tri-Ess Questions

• 35 posts
    August 26, 2014 12:21 AM BST

Hello!

As a relatively new member, I don't know whether this is an appropriate question for the forums. I have been reading about the Tri-Ess organization and have mixed feelings about whether it is a good idea to join. On the one hand, it appears to be a great way to meet other accepting people in person, which should be a boost to one's confidence. On the other hand, I'm not sure if all it is is just a way to expand one's "closet" from just being one's home to different monthly locales. In other words, it appears to be a chance to be among like-minded people, but that is as far as it goes.

Have any of you had an experience with Tri-Ess that eventually gave you the confidence to go out more easily on your own? Did groups of members ever go do something in public, out and about? Or did it just create a larger sized cocoon for you? How are the monthly meetings normally conducted? Is it worthwhile for someone who lives 6 hours from the nearest city with a chapter to join?

I feel that Gender Society fulfills some of the benefits of Tri-Ess, in that it is a place to obtain information and advice from others who are on the same page. However, it lacks the face-to-face element. I'm wondering whether Tri-Ess would be a good way to fill that hole. Perhaps there are other choices available?

Thanks, Sami

• 26 posts
    August 26, 2014 4:29 PM BST

As an English Transwoman, the Tri-Ess site holds no interest for me. Perhaps a member from the United States would know more?

Sarah xx

Ah, sorry, I should have checked which forum this was in before I posted.

This post was edited by Sarah Clarke at August 26, 2014 4:35 PM BST
    • 30 posts
    August 28, 2014 12:42 PM BST

To my knowlege, Tri-Ess has active chapters throughout the Country.  They have periodic meetings and social functions.  It you are interested you may check your local phone directory and go to their wed site and see if there in one near you.  Hope this helps. I am not a member, just checked into it a number of years ago and there were none close to me.

Bobbi

• 1195 posts
    September 10, 2014 5:23 PM BST
    Having been a member of Tri-Ess my experience may be different. I joined because I wanted to get out and about. There were two chapter equal distant from my home. I chose one and it was fun to begin with. I couldn't make all of their monthly meetings since it required an overnight stay in a hotel. That last lasted for about two years. The group decided they would  quit Tri-Ess because they weren't getting any support from them. Support meaning a newsletter or an annual trip or event.
    I decided to stay home and save my money and don't belong to any group at present. I have no trouble at home dressing when and how I please.
    So the things you have to decide for yourself are: How close is the chapter? If travel is necessary, would you have to stay at a motel/hotel overnight? How large is the chapter? What activities do they offer? Are there alternative groups available? Where I live there aren't.
    LOL
    Gracie
    • 35 posts
    September 10, 2014 5:48 PM BST
    Thank you, Gracie, for a very informative reply.

When I tried getting some information from the national organization, I didn't receive any feedback. Several months later I reached out to the chapter in Denver, about 7 hours away. With Denver I was able to get my questions answered. Not receiving information from the national organization is a cause for concern.

Again, thank you for a most informative post. It looks like I need to decide whether group meetings once or twice a year is worth the effort and expense.

Sami