Dumb Questions #88

• September 1, 2014 11:41 PM BST

Would someone please explain what the "reputation" button is in the forums? I've look in the FAQ and in the new member forum without finding a reference to it. Please enlighten this old womenThank you all in advance.

marissa

• September 2, 2014 12:10 AM BST

So this button should need no explanation. It means simply that you do something that is typaclly you. If you give it to someone else it is typacally them. It's an easy thing to give away without giving everything away. 

• M G
    • 373 posts
    September 2, 2014 1:48 AM BST
    What Chrissy said kinda sums it up. But another way to say it is that basically, if you think someone has provided sound advice or anything worthy of a good reputation with credibility and sincerity, you can hit that button and increase their 'reputation' by assigning a credit/point. Conversely...if you feel they post something worthy of a bad reputation, you can decrease a point. I don't see too much reason to assign negative rep points, it just doesn't seem nice...and if anyone says or does anything too naughty there are other ways to deal with that.
    If you look over there <------- you'll see each member's reputation credits.
  • September 2, 2014 2:01 AM BST

I don't get why we even need the button or some of the so called upgrades we just got. I don't think anyone asked for a tab that would thank someone and tally it as something special. I don't think there is any reason whatsoever to tally anything beyond your own comitment to GS. Even that is measured in monetary commitment. 

• M G
    • 373 posts
    September 2, 2014 2:24 AM BST
    It's not a matter of needing it Chrissy. I think it just happens to be a part of the latest software updates.
  • M G
    • 373 posts
    September 2, 2014 2:26 AM BST
    Not that it's a perfect system, far from it...but with so many unknowns on the internet, those who contribute regularly with helpful and credible things to say may build a reputation, and that reputation might be worth something, especially to new members.
    This post was edited by M G at September 2, 2014 2:28 AM BST
    • 155 posts
    September 2, 2014 8:25 AM BST
    I agree Madeleine....it means I can get to send friends on GS little presents!
    Id better get posting though 'cos Christmas will soon be here and I don't have enough GS credits to do my shopping lol!
  • September 2, 2014 5:05 PM BST

Thanks, everyone!

• M G
    • 373 posts
    September 2, 2014 7:02 PM BST
    Linda T said:
    I agree Madeleine....it means I can get to send friends on GS little presents! Id better get posting though 'cos Christmas will soon be here and I don't have enough GS credits to do my shopping lol!

That's a different kind of credit, but you can still keep earning the ones you can spend... : )