TG Jobs

• 15 posts
    September 15, 2014 2:44 AM BST

Hello. I am creating this post because I am located in Mississippi and unemployed. I still have not been able to start my transition, because I have been screwed over by an insurance company I was about to start working for, but I am not here to talk trash on them. I am flat broke (I only have enough money to keep my accounts open). I have been looking for a job but can't find anything. So my question is, does anyone on here know of any job openings near Mississippi. I do not want to work from home, because I don't want to hide. Also, I don't have the best internet access at my parents house. I have made a post on here about possibly becoming a webcam model, but if things don't get better soon I may have to resort to even more risky sources of income. I am desperate and I need help. I hate asking for help and that's why I am in such a bad spot right now, but I realized that I can't do everything on my own. I would love to be able to help others in the LGBTQ community. I do have a bachelors degree in communication- broadcasting and public relations. Please, if anyone knows of something in MS, TN, AL, or LA share it here. I'm sure there are others out there that could also use this information.

• September 15, 2014 5:57 AM BST

Post removed for personal reasons.

This post was edited by Former Member at September 21, 2014 9:04 PM BST
  • M G
    • 373 posts
    September 16, 2014 1:34 PM BST
    I just wanted to add a little encouragement Jacqui.

Determination and persistence should land you a respectable job, even if it's less than you want or need at first. It's always easier to look for a job once you have a job, so keep that in mind too.
  • M G
    • 373 posts
    September 17, 2014 1:03 PM BST
    Former Member said:

Post deleted

Why Julia?
  • September 17, 2014 4:12 PM BST

If you mean why did I delete the post Madeleine it was because I was not going be here to offer her any support and the worse thing is that her being so far away makes me feel useless. If she was in the UK it would be different , I could find her a job today. I hate the feeling of not being able to help , its what makes me tick.

Take care , Julia x

Spelling edit.

This post was edited by Former Member at September 21, 2014 6:17 PM BST
  • September 21, 2014 6:35 PM BST

Hi Jacqui;

I'm too far away to be of any real assistance with your job hunt but if I see anything in the TN, IN area i will send you a link. If there anything else I can help you with just say the word.

marissa

• September 21, 2014 6:38 PM BST

Jacqui you must have had some access to the internet by now. Can you please let us know you are Ok?.

I deleted my first post to you for reasons that have passed now. In that post it said that Crissie and myself had supported you and I told you of how far you had come since you first came here. Please do not just do anything stupid that "You will regret". Money is not everything in life and that is not me being patronising . I have had times in my life when I had little or no money. Things change , my life changed but you have to just keep looking for work , even if it is work you do not like , it is far better than taking risks.

Take care , Julia xx

• 15 posts
    September 21, 2014 9:57 PM BST

I'm fine. I'm still looking for a job. I am reaching out to everyone I can ask for help finding something. I even have some people helping me get ready to start doing drag.

• September 21, 2014 10:21 PM BST

Its good to hear you are okay. You just be carefull no one uses you , you have to learn to use them in the sense that you play by your rules , never do "Anything" You are not happy doing. Now you take care girl , Julia xx

• 1195 posts
    September 23, 2014 2:53 PM BST
    I read your post and didn't reply so I let it sit for a while to think about it.
    The job market stinks - you get stock answers such as no experience. over qualified, hirering freeze, etc etc
    Been there done that.
    May I suggest that since you have no obligations, at this time, you look into joining the military or perhaps a government job. It's worth a try.
    lol
    Gracie
    • 15 posts
    September 23, 2014 3:06 PM BST
    I've tried to get a government job but couldn't. The military is out of the question. I can't transition in the military. Trans people still do not have rights in the US military.
    • 1195 posts
    September 25, 2014 3:23 PM BST
    I think you will have to decide your priorities. You do realize transitioning is going to cost you financially. In my humble opion I'd say find a job first. Since you are a college graduate can you substitue teach? I did - it wasn't much but I ate and paid rent too.  
    • 15 posts
    September 25, 2014 6:43 PM BST
    I do have my priorities. I tried the get a job first method. It didn't work out for me. Looking for a job that I will have to do to save up for transitioning is pointless. I am looking for a job that will allow me to at least start dressing in public permanently. Even at work. What you are suggesting is for me to crawl back into the hole I am trying to climb our of. I have my old part- time job at the bookstore back for now, but it only pays enough to my parents from having to give me money. I can't afford anything with this job. I will not put my love life, social life, or professional on hold to do a job where I have to hide being trans. I am young and I do have my whole life ahead of me, but I hate that at 24 I regret not starting sooner. I'm not yet at the transition or die point in my life, but it's not far. I know if I go another year with no progress towards transitioning then I will be there because it is approaching a year since I graduated and I am worse off than when I started this search. I am farther from transitioning than I was before. I don't want to rush everything, and being passable is not that important to me. Freedom is what I want, not to spend a tone of money on changing my body just to climb into another closet and hide.

I thank you for trying to help, but unlike before when I came to this site for help and support I am more clear about my situation. I am prioritizing transitioning over everything else because everything else will stay the same until I start to do something about it. I don't want to hide and save up money for it, because doing like that I will never do it. I want a job that I can walk in on the first day in a dress and flats with no problems. I know that sounds impossible, but I have done the impossible before and I don't see why I can't do this.
  • M G
    • 373 posts
    September 27, 2014 3:18 PM BST
    I feel the frustration of not starting sooner and I'm nearly 40. Of course our situations are not the same but what I wouldn't give to be 24 again! I have a pretty good job but still can't transition yet either.

I hear determination and lots of thought behind it Jacqui. It sounds like you are well on your way without having to turn to something you'll regret later. Keep your head up girl.

Best of luck. Madeleine : )
    • 15 posts
    October 7, 2014 2:43 AM BST

Hello everyone. I come with updates and new questions. First I would like to let everyone know that I am back at the book store and that even though I have fewer hours than I had before that things are going well. I will get my first paycheck this Friday. It won't be much, but I am still happy to be making money again. Doing drag didn't work out. It turns out that I can't trust some people anymore. I have some other queens that said they would help, but I don't feel like drag is the right thing for me. I got to see a side of the drag scene I didn't like last night. Don't get me wrong. There are a lot of great queens out there and they are great people. However, I learned that in that scene there are so many queens you thought you could trust that would cut your throat if they could benefit just a little from it. But in the grand scheme of things I didn't lose anything from this experience. I did, however, learn that anyone is capable of turning there back on you. I'm not hurt, but I will be more couscous about whom I trust. 

Now that the I have given an update about my current situation I would like to openly ask anyone with a valid opinion about using crowdfunding sites for transitioning. Here is an article on trans people using crowdfunding (http://www.vice.com/read/some-trans-people-are). The reason why I ask is because I know there are some ethical questions around this topic, but I know someone that has crowdfunding for their name and gender marker change. It actually worked out well for here, but she had a large social media following of admirers. This was my last ex. I have considered doing if to get my transition started, but if I do it was thinking about also using it to help start my career in film and television. I have never mentioned this on here before, but I have some profiles on a few casting agencies websites. I answer casting calls all the time, but so far I have not gotten any parts. These sites also advertise extras roles for shows and I now people that have been discovered through being extras through these sites. One became Zach Galifianakis double by answering these casting calls. I would like to be able to help solve the problem of cisgender people playing transgender roles. I advertise on my casting profile that I am bisexual so I am fine with playing both gay and straight roles. I have been wanting to do something that will help trans people. That's why I have applied to HRC multiple times and to other lesser know organizations in my search for a job. But as you know I haven't had any luck finding a job. But I could still help trans people by following in Laverne Cox footsteps in giving the world a positive trans role model.

This is just something that I have been thinking about over the last couple of months. I have some ethical concerns about this because not only will I be using it to start a television and/or film career, but part of it will go towards my transition. Which I plan to do anyways once I can afford it. In your opinion do you think it would be wrong to use crowdfunding to start my transition? Tell me what you think and please don't hold back. You won't hurt my feelings if you think it's a terrible idea. If I did this I would keep all of my progress public so that everyone would know that I was using the money for my transition and acting career.

Thanks ladies. I hope everyone is doing well.

• October 8, 2014 10:54 PM BST

Hi Jacqie.

I did respond to you but it some how got deleted. In that post I pointed out that being 2 genders costs more than being one . Someone here does not get it , buying things for both genders means paying twice for things! Female things and Male things.

I can understand why you feel the need to transition as soon as you can as living a double life is not fun and if you are transsexual is not healthy , it screws your head up.

I am pleased you have dropped the idea of the drag act , I did also tell you in the deleted post that you would get stabbed in the back.

Crowd funding may work but I very much doubt it just as most things you have tried. This is going to take hard work to get where you need to be. Your part time job is not going to do it is it? . If you were in the UK you would not have to pay for your transition if you are on a low income but , you are in the USA and it is a different world there.

I admire you wanting to help others but you are going to have to help yourself before you can do that. You can use someone as a role model but you are not ready to be one yet , that is just me being honest not patronising.

I suggested seeing if you could do odd jobs for people in your area! Just things like garden work or any odd jobs that people need doing. Knocking on a few doors and just asking or print a few flyers , some make good money here in the UK doing that.

Street beggers here in my home town make £120.00 a day , that is 194.00 USD at todays rate but don't go down that road it is lowering yourself.

If you put your mind to it you can get what you want but , you will not get it yesterday , you are going to have to wait and I do know that is hard , it is just the way life is.

keep on working and think about doing those odd jobs for people in your area as I suggested , you may just get a supprise at the amount of people that will pay for a bit of work.

Take care girl , I do understand 

Julia xx

• 15 posts
    October 9, 2014 9:11 PM BST

Hello ladies!

Thank you for your response. I agree that it probably wouldn't work out. But I have decided to start blogging. It will be a while before I can make money from it because I have to get an audience first before I can get paid by providing ad space on my blog. This is the link to the blog. (http://callmejacqui.blogspot.com/) I have a lot of ideas for topics, but I also want my readers to let me know what they want to read and learn more about. Please follow my blog. My first post will be about dating apps, but more specifically being trans and/or bi on dating apps. I have lots of stories and so will probably shock people, but I think most people here probably have had similar or possibly worse experiences. I hope everyone here will follow and contribute to the topics cover.

• October 9, 2014 11:48 PM BST

I will give you 10 out of 10 for trying Jacqui! Seems to me like if you had full time work it could take your mind off things and you could concentrate on saving some money up.

I had the illusion a few years ago that the USA was the land of opportunity untill I started reading stories like yours , and you are not alone over there , there are many in the same situation.

Take care girl , Julia xx

This post was edited by Former Member at October 9, 2014 11:49 PM BST