Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Make-Up Tips » Nail Polish Idea for the Shy

Nail Polish Idea for the Shy

Tags : None
  • I am not out to the general public, but I do like to do little things that work toward that, as I become more comfortable. One is my nails. I used to chew them, so I started growing them out a bit and applying clear polish in order to avoid doing that.

One disadvantage of the clear polish is that it looked hideous when I got dirty under the nails. I decided to accomplish two goals: hiding the dirt until I had a chance to clean underneath, and start showing more of my feminine side to the public.

I experimented with several colors and have settled upon a new color by Sally Hansen. The color is #210, Shall We Dance. The reason why I like this color is that it is very thin and slightly more pink than my natural nail color. I started with wearing just one coat as an experiment, which does show but not much. I then graduated to two coats, which hides more of the underneath while also being slightly more pink. I am now wearing three coats all of the time.

The first picture shows the natural nails after they have been trimmed. The second picture shows after the first coat. The nails are shinier then, but still show much of the natural color. The third picture steps it up a bit more with two coats. All three coats are shown in the fourth picture. The last two pictures show the bottle of nail polish in case any of you want to give it a try.

For those of you who are still afraid of what others think, I can report that I live in a conservative town and have never had anybody make a comment or give a strange look after about 3 months of wearing this color. This has helped me with my self confidence.

Love, Sami

September 21, 2014 2:37 AM BST
    Fantastic post Sami, thank you!
      September 21, 2014 12:35 PM BST

thanks for this Sami x

September 21, 2014 8:46 PM BST
  • Thanks for this. I get similar results with OPI NL F27 In The Spot Light Pink. It's very close to the color of my unpolished nails. Nobody has seemed to really notice so far and for me it's a nice way to feel feminine even when I'm in drab.

January 30, 2015 6:31 PM GMT
  • I acquired a couple of light pinkish colours, but personally I love a bright red. Only problem with red is the staining. While I can get most all of the polish off, the cuticles remain stained a slight pink. Of course, I am always afraid of my wife coming home unexpected or a delivery or something. So I might sometimes will use clear. I hate that we aren't free to use whatever we like and have to hide who we are. 

May 28, 2015 11:28 PM BST
  • Emma Croft said:

I acquired a couple of light pinkish colours, but personally I love a bright red. Only problem with red is the staining. While I can get most all of the polish off, the cuticles remain stained a slight pink. Of course, I am always afraid of my wife coming home unexpected or a delivery or something. So I might sometimes will use clear. I hate that we aren't free to use whatever we like and have to hide who we are. 

You may be able to have some luck with pushing the cuticles under the skin. When I do this, the cuticle is out of view. I don't know whether this actually works with the polish, but it may be worth a try.

I don't remove the cuticle, just push it under. There are wooden cuticle sticks that do this very well. See the random photo I got from Google when searching for "cuticle stick".

This post was edited by Sami Brown at May 29, 2015 1:50 AM BST
      May 29, 2015 1:48 AM BST
  • Thank you, I will give it a go.

May 29, 2015 1:56 AM BST
  • I have used OPI, Bubble Bath

It's looks pink, but once applied just look slightly more pink that a clear coat---No one has ever noticed it, even when I have two coats on the nails---AJ

June 2, 2017 1:51 PM BST