Coming out as agender?

• November 21, 2014 8:12 AM GMT

I think I'd like to come out as agender to my mom's side of the family on Thanksgiving.
    I'd like to believe they'll be supportive, but there's always that little fear of 'what if?'
    Especially if I try again with coming out to my dad.
    I've tried in the past to tell him I prefer 'they them their' pronouns, to use a genderless nicname when possible, but he didn't take it seriously at all.
    He loves me, but doesn't respect what I feel about msyelf.
    And I'm at a point where if I can afford and it manage it I'd love to use a chest binder like FtM people use, and if I don't always keep my hair short then I invest in hats to hide it.
    I'm also really curious....is this something I can bring up at a group therapy I go to?
    I would be lots lots LOTS more comfortable if the group members referred to me as 'they' and Raz, but I have a bad feeling bringing that up would cause trouble....

• 0 posts
    November 21, 2014 8:28 AM GMT

Hi Raz.

You might like to start by defining what you mean by agender. 

I know it means 'without gender' but what are the implications of that?

How do you present yourself?

It is possible to have a gender neutral persona and if so how do you go about that. 

I have a couple of chest binders.

One I bought from Miama was a rip-off. It was expensive and the one they sent was about 4 sizes too small.

But I bought this one.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Undershirt-Breast-Binder-Flat-Chest-Tank-Top-Vest-FTM-Tomboy-Lesbian-Original-/230964222780?pt=AU_Womens_Clothing_2&var=&hash=item35c68a5b3c

Its light, cool, comforable and not too expensive.

However, they take forever to deliver.  

You're curious about what exactly?

~*!*~

edit: grammer 

This post was edited by Former Member at November 21, 2014 8:29 AM GMT
  • November 21, 2014 8:39 AM GMT

Thanks for answering first of all.
    And I've just always switched between feminine and masculine behaviors growing up, and after an incident in high school where some kids who didn't know me made bets on if I was a boy or a girl I liked the idea of being seen like that.
    Not sure why, just something about me not being a specific gender feels right, empowering, like that's me!

And I'm curious to if it would be worth the trouble it could cause if I brought up what I want in group.
    There are at least two members that would likely have trouble with it, one would probably say rude stuff at me in fact.

• 0 posts
    November 21, 2014 8:44 AM GMT

Group Therapy. 

There are pros and cons. 

I think you have to remember that you are not the only one at therapy and some thought has to be given to others. 

I'd go with your gut. If you feel that some wouldn't like it then you are most certainly right.  

Maybe raise it with the therapist in a one to one situation and see what they think.  

But, most definately, if you feel empowered then that is the way to go. 

• 30 posts
    November 21, 2014 11:28 AM GMT

learn a little about the people in the group and then run it by the therapist (moderator) of the group and get their thoughts on this.  I have a person in one of my groups who prefers non-sexual (gender) based pronouns. Lovely person to be around.  I still have trouble because she is peite, cute as a kitten and, definetly,  physically female.

Oh, just for the record, I am transgender female, working toward womanhood.

Bobbi