Elitism? Really?

Tags : None
  • I was just reading through one of Chrissie's posts on another thread and was surprised to hear that a lot of the older TW members left when the name changed as it smacked of elitism. I was really surprised by that. I remember at the time thinking that losing the word 'tranny' would be a good move and would prevent the undesirabel types bothering to look but I didn't think it sounded elitist. 

I also left the site at that time but for different reasons, which I will not go into. I pop back occasionally to see how things are and of course, almost no one is here from the TW days. People move on, you don't visit the same local bar for 20 years after all, so different people coming and going is normal I believe. 

I'm curoius as to what attracted new members to here though, as I assume that they didn't think the name was elitist? I also wonder if, like myself, they spent ages in the forums finding out so much useful information, and then moved into the chat room to speak directly to other women in the same position? That was such a positive thing in my life at the time, as we all know what it feels like to find out you aren't the only one!

What are your thougts? What brought you here? Do you feel it is actually quite elitist? 

Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      January 29, 2015 4:52 PM GMT
  • I joined the site after reading my first Frock mag.  As for the name being elitist?  Doesn't sound elitist to me and I am not keen on the word Tranny.
      January 29, 2015 5:26 PM GMT
  • I still log in often Nikki, and like you, found the original site to be useful and lots of fun in the chat room!  Most of the "old timers" have moved on, but have been replaced by many friendly newcomers who bring a fresh and new perspective to the site.

Chat is rarely the same as it was, but there have been some fun sessions.  As you are well aware, things change over time and are constantly evolving (just like us), so it is just the sign of the times.  I do not care for the newsfeed home page format, but geez, it seems like the entire world has jumped into and embraced Facebook, so they are comfy with it...no biggie to me!

Hope you are well...

Best wishes always!

Traci xoxo

<p>Traci</p>
      January 29, 2015 6:23 PM GMT
  • I cam here as I do now to be around those I feel akin to and comfortable with. I like to see  and hear from and about those I have come to know. It was for me very important to communicate about how I think, feel, and see myself. It was the time and place for me to announce myself as I see myself - the girl I always have been. It was great to find others of a kindred spirit, to find information. Never elitist - perhaps unique, eccentric - but that has always been the case. Always glad to see you too. All the best - take care, hugs, Briana : )
      January 29, 2015 7:18 PM GMT
  • I came to share, support others like me,show tolerance and relate my own experiences to help others in a don't do what I did and impart my experiences and research.

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
      January 29, 2015 9:11 PM GMT
  • I cannot see how the site is elitist in any way. That, if it is the case, must be in the mind of the member.  I came here to meet other people who are at differnt poits on the gender spectrum, to offer my support and to do a few articles for 'Frock'.

I do not like the Facebook style, because I dislike and distrust Facebook!  However, I don'dislike it enough to leave.  IMHO, the site needs some more action and interaction, and less of gushing likes that we see on the home page.  I have made the observation previously that it is the more photogenic members that get most of the likes.

But, what to do?

January 30, 2015 8:13 AM GMT
  • I was not aware of the previous incarnation of the site. The name does not seem elitist to me, but that's just an opinion.

I am here to learn, to explore, and to discover. Understanding who I am and what others like me have experienced, enjoy, and learned from is important to me. 

I am hoping this will be and enjoyable and productive part of my journey through life.

Millie

January 30, 2015 6:52 PM GMT
  • In the last few years ,I have seen virtually no evidence of elitism in the threads. Our gals are fairly reasonable, and helpful most of the time.  I love the fact that we have the full spectrum of the rainbow here and we can still discourse in a civil way.

Some members like the Facebook style. I accept it as part of the diversity of the site and do not think less of those who enjoy it.   Amanda, regarding likes or not, you are an attractive gal and I think you should be very happy just who you are.  The best is yet to come!

One thing that I wish is that some of the 2,0000 -3,000 people who look at a specific thread sometimes would click on the quick reply option to let us know your thoughts.

Jacqueline

January 30, 2015 8:46 PM GMT
  • Jacqueline, let's take that another step in that maybe we could count "hits" or number of times a thread/post have been read!  This way, we might not feel as if we're barking into the wind and feel that at least others are reading our posts and therefore provide incentive to continue.  I often feel as if I kill threads every time I comment and that I am just wasting time by replying.  My personality will rub some wrongly and that is OK because my intentions are always good despite the perceived tone.  A lifelong battle with gender dysphoria and over 6 years of full blown transitioning does give me the legitimacy of at least making comments from my experience.  But it does get deflating at times to feel as if nobody listens or evenreads the posts.

Amanda, I totally agree about the relationship between attractiveness and likes.  And the "rate my pic" segment really ought to vanish.  It is truly humiliating for those who do not receive high marks when placed against their peers.  I know that had I gotten scorned by low marks when I first started out, I most likely would have found a more accepting site.  And you are gorgeous!  (smile)

Millicnet, you will get out of this site that which you put into it...welcome to GS!!!!

Suzy, Crissie, and Bri...you girls are awesome!!!

Much love,

Traci xoxo

<p>Traci</p>
      January 30, 2015 10:11 PM GMT
  • Traci-
    My experience on GS is similar to yours. I have a fair number of times contributed my thoughts to a thread with no responses at all. It was like my comments were a poison to the discussion. I have not figured this out. In fairness, that is not always the case, but it always makes me feel bad because I feel that what ever I said caused a closure on the discussion.

Jacqueline
      January 31, 2015 4:18 AM GMT
  • Jacqueline, perhaps we're related???  (grin)

<p>Traci</p>
      January 31, 2015 4:30 AM GMT
  • Lots of people read my posts according to the count, just wish people would make some comment, any comment. we all need a bit of recognition that what we do, might be amusing or helpful, even a bit interesting.

As for the site being selective or elitist, I never said it was and would call it a day if it was, but when the name changed several people did say they were leaving because the inference was on the new name, it was like a snowball rolling down the hill, people don't complain about the little things, they wait till there is a mountain of little things and then it becomes a massive issue, ''The chat room is not fun any more its allways about transitioning and hormones etc. the Trannyweb, gets changed to GENDER society. now an emphasis on GENDER, now its getting serious and more and more.   So I made a new chat room, it is frustrating especially when one posts something they think might be interesting, factual, helpful and don't get any responses.

Don't worry about Rate my pic lol, I once got to a point where I had 7 votes and scored 4, uploaded a new picture of a dog and it won outright.

This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at January 31, 2015 11:42 AM GMT
      January 31, 2015 11:41 AM GMT
  • Sorry Crissie, but the dog was cuter than you!  *giggles*

xoxo

<p>Traci</p>
      January 31, 2015 6:30 PM GMT
  • I came here or , should I say back here in the hope that others can learn from my mistakes and my real life experiences. There is nothing Elite about GS but it is far different from other Trans websites. This website is what it's members make it so if an interesting topic catches your eye's then post on it , ignoring it just allows it to die. I am also the websites punch bag and I often wonder why I am still here but I am. This website depends on interaction and it will die without it. These forums are the heart of this website , it would not survive on the new look comments page alone.

I have been a member here on and off for about 9 years now and over that time made over 3000 posts in these forums. I have for the very first time managed to stay here for over one year but , I know where the door is and go very close to it sometimes.

I have found a way to stop members putting likes on me , YippeeSmile.

I think , and it is just my opinion that the like thing takes priority over important issues. Never again will I have the most likes this week or month again , I have sorted it. I would like to see more members stay and become full members  and stop posting images of flowers or cartoons. At times I log in here and see I am the only human online! I have trouble talking to flowers , that is Prince Charles hobby but not mine.

February 1, 2015 12:01 AM GMT
  • Just to add to this. I just ran a search asking for the top transgender websites and I could not see The Gender Society in any link and I stopped at page 3 on Google.

The name change was a BIG mistake. The word Gender alone does not work , it needs to contain the word "Transgender".

February 1, 2015 8:29 PM GMT
  • Just some idle thoughts from a failing mind.

I still think that the name Gender Society is fantastic; it brings some class and seriousness to such societies.

I was never aware that Elitism was an issue or even a topic of discussion.

I have been a member for more than 10 years including the TW era, and I never got the impression that transexual members were dominating the site.  I always saw a healthy mix of diverse members who were very communicative in a healthy manner.

I too wonder why there are not lots of dialogue given the number of people who read threads.  Let's just tell them again that they are within the rules to make comments and are welcome to do so.

Jacqueline

February 2, 2015 4:41 PM GMT
  • I don't think socializing is elitist. I was suggested to come here by my wife who happens to be trans to socialize and share mroe with the community online. So nope, I don't think it's elitist at all.

February 2, 2015 5:12 PM GMT
  • Jacqueline

I still think that the name Gender Society is fantastic; it brings some class and seriousness to such societies.

Class and seriousness is why some people left, wrong in their misconception that the fun and Banter would dissapear with the name Trannyweb, I'm not naming names but if you think back  some very prominant amazing none transexuals left imediately after the name change. people that were prominate in the chat rooms and the more light hearted of the forums.

February 2, 2015 6:02 PM GMT
  • Chris this site is all encompassing and tolerant, far from being elitist, its just that some percieved it was heading that way when the name was changed and we had to introduce a new format, due to aging software.   A poll was conducted and the name Gender society recieved the most suggestions, maintly from the transexual coontingent because the others, in the maority were not interested enough to vote.   Also the Trannyweb, name gave us problems, and was blacklisted by most advertisers, dropped by google ads as appearing to be a sleaze site, it was not and never has been, it was just the name invoked minus kudos.

February 2, 2015 6:08 PM GMT
  • I think it should be called the Blender SocietySmile . Then maybe , just maybe there could be more blending in.

February 2, 2015 6:12 PM GMT
  • Thank you for all of your replies, it was very refreshing to see that it stirred up some emotions in you. It seems as though many of us feel the same way about the site. I also don't like the Facebook style but it seems to be the way the world is going so if the majority 'like' it. Tongue out

Chrissie, it wasn't you that called the site elitist, you simply stated that older members left because that's what they thought it sounded like. Smile

Traci - nice to hear from you! I totally agree with your comments regarding the 'rate my pic', which is why I removed all of my photos. 

It's really nice to see such positive responses, that's what this site was always about. 

Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      February 2, 2015 6:28 PM GMT
  • Yes it was nice reading all the posts. WOuld love to see some more participation though. Especially from partners of trans individuals.

February 2, 2015 6:33 PM GMT
  • Chris, I cannot get my wife to even look at the site...I wish she would as it certainly might help her understand the feelings she has and the confusion she battles daily with me.

Traci xoxo

<p>Traci</p>
      February 2, 2015 6:58 PM GMT
  • Chris there is a significant others forum

February 2, 2015 8:37 PM GMT
  • You might even get some useful advice from the 'coming out' forum as although it is written by the trans person, it does also explain how their partners coped as well. Just be prepared to do some searching for the relevant threads. 

You can also just try starting your own thread with whatever questions and concerns you may have, and I'm sure you will find a multitude of answers. 

February 3, 2015 1:54 PM GMT