MtF Voice

Tags : None
  • I've been so frustrated with my voice for so long and felt the need to share about this!

I've just started seeing a Speech Pathologist who schedules sessions over Skype which is really convenient for me.
    I've noticed my voice has started to change after just a few sessions. This is really exciting for me!

On another note, what are the best resources people have found? I still want to keep on top of everything I can. Maybe after seeing someone I will understand all the info out there a bit more. 

This post was edited by Amy Kelp at February 19, 2015 12:58 PM GMT
      February 19, 2015 5:50 AM GMT
  • Hi.

Your post is blatant advertising. If you wish to make friends here then do so and feel free to share your advertising link privately with those friends but this is not a Free Ad website.

Take care .

February 19, 2015 10:18 AM GMT
  • Hi Julia,

Sorry about that! I will try and delete the link. I just know it helped me a lot and thought others might benefit.

Sorry for causing any inconvenience!

Please let me know though if you know of any good resources out there to further work on my voice as I am very interested

February 19, 2015 12:56 PM GMT
  • Hi Amy.

You do not need to say sorry to me. As I pionted out you can share the link with friends when you make some here. A few links that are posted do contian virus's too. I did check your one and it was virus free. .

As for voice! My good resource was inside of me. I had voice therapy and hated the way my voice sounded. I can twist my voice many ways just as impressionists do on stage and television. I tried many ways and always came back to my own voice.

Some people get hang ups over the way their voice sounds! You have to look at it different ways. It is more to do with the way you speak more than the way you sound.

Some genetic females have deep voices , some very famous females have deep voices. Those people get by fine , as I said it is the way you speak not the way you sound.

Watch other females and listen. Pick a certian way you wish to speak all of the time , copy a friend or a famous person and practice if that is what you need to do.  My voice has never been deep but it is the manner in which you speak that makes all of the difference not the sound in the end.

Take care .

February 19, 2015 1:27 PM GMT
  • Hi Amy.

I will just add that the website you placed a link to was asking for money for their services. If it was a free service then that would most likely not be classed as advertising.

I also need to add that if you used the service then it seems it has failed you. You can place links to youtube Tutorials and there are many good ones that do help others.

I love to sing and always have done since a far back as I can recall. I can recall a certain song that has a spoken intro by a genetic female. I use that intro as an example to others as something to aim for. As it can be played over and over so you and others can try to copy it. I did but went further and into song.

The song is called Never ever and is performed by The All Saints so go on youtube and have a listen. Have fun trying to copy it , and I mean have fun. If you are not enjoying something you cannot put your heart and soul into it.

Again take care .

February 19, 2015 2:29 PM GMT
  • "it is the way you speak not the way you sound."

That is so true Julia. 

I have never had issues with my voice but as it was originally very deep, there was only so much I could do to change it. You can only work with what you have after all. However, I was able to alter it, without any therapy, simply but trying different approaches and, as I said, I have never had issues with it. I would say my voice is up there with Kathleen Turners, and who doubted her voice wasn't feminine. It's easy to get too hung up on only the pitch when there is a lot more to it than that. 

Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      February 20, 2015 12:13 PM GMT
  • Hi everyone

FWIW I was always very concerned about my voice. I felt that it was the one thing that 'betrayed' me and no matter what I did it would always be a problem as either I would make some horribel and barely intelligible squawking sound or (assuming I could get it right in the firtsplace) I would be simply unable to keep up the illusion for more than a few words.

This meant I tried very hard to not speak to people when out and about. Which of course is weird and kind of goes against the wjole reason for going out in the first place.

Then I had the great privilege of being invited to a Halloween party/event. This event was for GGs and I felt I had to blend... I was doing ok. Acting relatively naturally and I had managed to keep the interactions natural but without having to say more than a few words...

Then we did a group activity. The activity required us to read, out loud, for the whole group, a one page long story...

Oh dear!

I couldn't chicken out. So I didn't...

I just read it as best I could. I had to project my voice so that I could be heard and this was hard. But I did it.

Afterwards I asked my hostess for feedback and she said that my voice was fine as it is. She has female friends with deeper voices than mine.

Essentially we need to just 'own' our voices in the same way that we 'own' our appearance.

This was a liberating realisation for me...

December 11, 2015 9:45 AM GMT
  • I think a lot of us worry too much about our voices, mine is very deep naturally but I have worked to make it neutral and, yes, I have GG's with deeper voices than me. People often concern themselves with pitch but there is so much more than that. It's harder for some of us to find that sweetspot due to our natural voice range but it can still be acheieved. Just relax into it and stop fretting. 

I find the worst for me is talking on the phone, as it seems to bring out the worst in my voice, but since I can't get away from that, there is no point worrying over it. 

Persevre and you will get there. 

Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      January 20, 2016 8:12 PM GMT
  • I often wonder how my voice sounds to other people. I know how it sounds to me, but I still don't know how I sound. But to me, my voice sounds awesome! Of course, but voice, I mean tone, inflections, vocal quirks and word choice. 

But yeah...it's probably deeper than I'd like it.

June 6, 2016 11:11 PM BST
  • Nikki, I can't believe it, I used the same terminology in my latest OP! We're so in sync. I know you're busy, but if you get a chance, check it out: http://gendersociety.com/forums/topic/10255/famous-prominent-gg-has-quot-deeper-voice-than-most-men-quot

Voice is very important, but it is not the be all and end all. It's part of the whole package. Some transgender women have a higher pitched voice than me, and some men have higher pitched voices than some women, GG or trans women! It's all relative. That being stated, keep working on raising your pitch if you want or need to, but confidence goes a much longer way.

Katie I wish there was a way to hear your voice, I would tell you what I think! But you have the confidence that will get you far in life, so no matter what your voice sounds like, you rock!

Edit: oh yeah, forgot to mention that the word was fret! You said stop fretting and I said no need to fret! This post was edited by Former Member at June 8, 2016 6:05 PM BST
      June 8, 2016 6:02 PM BST