Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » General Forum » Seeking work.....again???

Seeking work.....again???

Tags : None
  • I recently returned from a skiing holiday to find that my, (and some other), postitions at work are in danger of redundancy. Great. Although we knew that this was likely and so everyone is prepared for it, but for a transsexual, it is always that much harder if I have to find alternative work. 

Being TS makes completing applications and opening up my work history basically means I 'out' myself to any potential new employer. Partly this is because my role in the military was and is not available to women, so that's a big giveaway. Plus, previous employers will have known me in a different gender and name. This is always tricky when references and qualifications are requested as not all awarding bodies will issue a new diploma in a new name and gender. 

Personally, I'm not bothered, and I have no issue over my past being known, but not everyone out there in a similar position feels the same way, and many employers will close the door once they find out you are transsexual. It's just one more hurdle we have to jump over to get on in life. 

And you still meet people who say 'you chose to live that way'! 

Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      February 20, 2015 12:44 PM GMT
  • Hi Nikki.

Sorry to hear about your danger of losing your job and I wish you all the best. I am sure the gender recognition act UK 2004 States that you do not have to declare your past (I will check or Crissie will know) . I know you do not live in the UK so it would not apply to you but it may do if you were born in the UK , again Crissie would know.

It was your last line that caught my eye. Yes there are crazy people who say we chose to live that way. It is not said to me often but it has been in the past. My response is always I am mad but not that mad. Why would any sane person chose to put themselves through the sh*t we have to go through?. You just would not do it full stop.

Take care xx

February 20, 2015 5:20 PM GMT
  • I am not conversant with the German equivilant of the UK GRA, but inder the EHRC your past life is private, and even more so if you have a GRC or are undergoing registered supervised transition.    The EHRC guarantees and protects you from discrimination, Ah! yes, but when applying for work, services etc, its virtually impossible to prove discrimination over a failure to be accepted after an interview for work.   Even different member states of the EU have variying exemptions and interpretations of discrimination regarding employment.    I am thinking of you. best of luck Nikki.

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
      February 20, 2015 6:43 PM GMT
  • Thank you Crissie! It has been a while since I have read it. It is kind of stupid in parts because when I set up my business I had no choice but to disclose my old name. I could have lied and maybe got away with it but I had no wish to or be stupid enough to risk it. The act as far as I can recall is there to protect us and it does to a certian extent but it is imposible to escape the past. Markers are on driver licences ect . Medical records there needs to be a marker in case of accident ect.

It is an act that only half works I guess and at the end of the day in cases like Nikki's anyone can discriminate and it would be very hard to prove.

Take care xxx

February 20, 2015 9:33 PM GMT
  • In the UK once you are undergoing supervised treatment and or have a GRC the past is dead. with a deed poll change of name, one can change there gender on all documents, some agencies might hold an ''also known as'' but it is a criminal offence to reveal those details, under the EHRC also there is a section on the right to privacy. agencies that might retain details are the criminal records agency, if you have served on a jury, and of course finance companies.   BUT you have a right to only disclose you new name and gender, you don't have to lie, your new documents are all you need. once a bank for instance has accepted your change of status, they change all your documents, statements to your new name, your entitled to hold the credit rating you held prior to you name change and the bank should not disclose your previous name or gender to any other parties.   If subsequent to your change of details, you are held to account in court for an offence you commited prior to changing your details, you will be tried under your new name, any reference to your previous status will be dealt with in private, the udge or magistrate will direct the prosecution and defence that any reference made to those details in open court may be held in contempt.

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
      February 20, 2015 10:01 PM GMT
  • I was asked on a lease agreement have you changed your name? If so please give previous name and provide details.

On that agreement it stated all of the information I have given is true ect sign here -> no there <-and for our protection we will carry out a credit search and criminal records check if needed or some kind of legal **** that was not even related to me. I was not asking for credit and I am not a criminal.

Banking I have no problem with , I told them once and once only and have changed banks since with no questions asked.

I do beleive I am me and anyone mad enough to try to pretend to be me needs locking up. For a very long timeSmile.

February 20, 2015 10:25 PM GMT
  • Hi Chrissie, Julia, and thank you for your replies. 

I am aware that you don't have to declare your past but as I work in a sector which requires a full enhanced disclosure checks to be made, the end result is that you do out yourself. In addition, if you work in certain sectors, you are obliged to inform your employer and/or clients that you are transsexual. Unfortunately, this is law and there is currently no escaping it. 

I'm not bothered by it as I've been through this before and I am now older and wiser so it really isn't an issue for me. It's just one of those things. To be honest, I'm more concerned that my age is an issue mor than anything else! 

Thank you agan though. 

Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      February 24, 2015 7:52 PM GMT
  • Well, I met with the director today and have now been advised that I am no longer at risk of redundancy, but my position is. Therefore I have been offered an interview next Wednesday for an alternative position in a different location. The good news is, is that it pays more so we'll see what happens next week. 

February 25, 2015 7:57 PM GMT
  • Been there!  GO FOR IT!

February 27, 2015 7:42 PM GMT