release body dysphoria trough physical activities?

• March 25, 2015 10:33 PM GMT

Gender dysphoria - for those of us who had the privilege to go trough puberty as the opposite sex; we are going to deal with a lot of dysphoria for the rest of our lives. And that's that. But what I'm really curious about is how some of you eased you dysphoria by doing physical activities. I've released a lot of my own dysphoria trough playing soccer. In some way I feel soccer has saved my life. But now I feel playing soccer is not worth it due to the masculinity there is on a football team - I just can't relate to the others. So I'm in the lookout for some new hobbies, where I can use my body, and I wondered if anyone of you has any suggestions? 

• 746 posts
    March 26, 2015 12:00 AM GMT

I made a living playing a contact sport in North America for almost 6 seasons in the 70s!  Thought the more I tried to push away from it all, the easier it would be for it all to go away...only made it worse for as soon as we returned from road trips, it was back to being me! 

Neat post!

Traci xoxo

• 4 posts
    March 26, 2015 1:17 AM GMT

Several years ago, I trained for and ran in several half marathons. It did help with the gender dysphoria. I got to wear shorts, tank tops and had a ponytail! The only comment I got was from a woman on the treadmill next to me. She said I had great legs. I am starting to get back into it and hope to run a half marathon as Gwen. I never really thought about it helping with the dysphoria until your post. I just knew I felt better overall.

Gwen

• 6 posts
    March 26, 2015 10:50 PM GMT

I am not really sure I did it to get away from my disphoria, I love the sport. I raced as a professional cyclist until I started HRT, after a while my mussles got a lot smaller and I just could not keep up with the guys, I was never allowed to race with the girls, but I can't deny the time I was able to compete I has very happy. I just trek alone now.

Love

Robin 

• 2017 posts
    April 3, 2015 2:35 PM BST

I used to be really into weight training and was very muscular, which was a way of running away from being TS. I have since trained to get rid of as much muscle as I can but alas, the damage is done, Cry

However, I got into swimming and running to help get rid of the muscle and keep in shape at the same time, which was great for body dysphoria as you have to wear a swimming costume in the pool of course! These days I am into triathlons and have competed as a female, which you are allowed to do if you are TS although depending on your HRT /surgery you may not be eligible for a top three medal position. 

Swimming, running or cycling would be good for body dysphoria I should say, as you can, or indeed have to, wear female clothing and they are all ungendered sports. 

• 746 posts
    April 3, 2015 11:16 PM BST

Ice skating is a terrific way to keep fit as well!  I do this 3-4 times per week for at least an hour...

Traci xoxo

• April 4, 2015 7:28 PM BST

Julie-

You are certainly on the right track. Research has clearly shown the benefits of exercise on many body properties, and especially on mental outlook. I recognized this in myself many years ago, and now am one of the most satified individuals that you will meet.  I suggest a variety of exersizes that meet the criteria of 1. you like to do, 2. gives you good cardiovascular exercise, and 3. are sports involving skills so that you can see improvement with time which gives a constant source of psychological boost.

In my case, I play singles tennis three times per week, street bike for 45 min. twice per week, and in the summer time kayak on the lake. In the winter, I cross country ski.  I monitor myself to ensure that I do not over-extend my heart rate or energy consumption.

Now for an equally important suggestion. Start meditating once per day at anytime. I do 25 minutes and sometimes I do a second for 20 min. Results do not come immediately, but you will see a great difference in your feeling of well being and self satisfaction. It slowly erases all sorts of anxieties.  The technique is simple. Sit in a comfortable chair, head and shoulders erect and hands in your lap, eyes closed. Then start breathing in slowly and deeply. Expand your chest to fill your lungs. Exhale slowly and repeat until the alarm sounds after 25 min. it is simple, JUST LISTEN TO YOUR BREATHING. If monkeys or other thoughts jump into your head, just persistently go back to listening and concentrating on your breathing.

This along with exercise will after two months give you an incredible state of good health and enormous feeling of wholesomeness and well being.

Good thoughts to you.

Jacqueline

• 746 posts
    April 4, 2015 10:04 PM BST

Meditation is awesome!!!!  Great post!

Traci xoxo

This post was edited by Traci Lee O'Gara at April 4, 2015 10:04 PM BST
    • 2017 posts
    April 5, 2015 5:52 PM BST

Exercise should also be anearobic as well, in order to give the muscles a good workout and training with weights will do that and help to maintain bone density whcih is normally lost in later years. Don't worry, you will not end up with muscles like Arnie as it's hard to gain and takes a lot of dedication. Light weights with high reps will do the trick nicely and will keep you in shape but still slender. 

Exercise is how I relax anyway and gives me the state of mind I need, (meditation and yoga etc don't work for me). If I need sometihng extreme, I have a puchbag hanging in my cellar........