A roll of tragic events

• 2358 posts
    April 10, 2015 11:12 PM BST

here we can add all the relevant news items, that show ignorance, intolerance and bigotyr causing death and hardship throughout the world, a sorta record of just how things are in so called civilised countries.    The story of Leelah and now another one Taylor Alesana. catalogue everyone.

This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at April 10, 2015 11:15 PM BST
    • 2358 posts
    April 10, 2015 11:20 PM BST

Did you know in England, common law, if a 100,000 signatures are aquired the topic must be considered for presentation to parliament, the house of commons for debate and report.   Perhaps someone from the USA where ever, could advise if a similar system is in force in their countries.

• 2358 posts
    April 10, 2015 11:24 PM BST

Marissa MalloIs it possible we could have made a difference in this girl's life? We'll never know until we make this site (or a portion of it) available to one of the most vulnerable groups of transgender people out there. We need to help TG youth.

A 16-year-old transgender girl from northern San Diego County who spoke on YouTube about being bullied at school has reportedly taken her own life. Taylor Alesana, a student at Fallbrook High School, committed suicide last week, according to the North Cou
    •  
      Julia FordI can think of a certian so called teacher Crissie I would never trust near those kids. It is true though that any teacher can come to a place like this to learn some understanding and spot the signs before it is to late.
      • 20 minutes ago
      • -
      • delete
      • -
    •  
      Cristine, Shye (GS Admin)Perhaps we should have made this a forum topic, so we can all reflect on all the tragedies, consolidate everything to put some perspective on something that is growing in modern society. a permanant record of ignorance and inumantity. topics to be available forever not some one minute front page record of the tragedy, soon to become yesterdays news.!!!!  
      • 18 minutes ago
      • -
      • delete
      • -
    •  
      Cristine, Shye (GS Admin)Tell you what I will start a new topic in the General forum ''A roll of Tradgedy'' and I will make it a sticky headline topic, please repost your coments there, five minutes.
      • 15 minutes ago
  • April 10, 2015 11:40 PM BST

Please all of you listen to Crissie and do all you can to help put an end to all of this. These are just kids and are the future. They are very fast becoming statistics but given some help and support could have a wonderful life ahead of them. It is not rocket science it is caring about young lives. If we give up on them then tomorrow there will be another one. Very few of these statistics are not linked to being transgender because they are to scared to talk to people about it. Then they become a suicide that is put down to other reasons such as exam stress . The true figures will never be know if it is hidden.

I see far to many of these stories and these are just the known ones. Please do "Anything" you can to raise some awareness and give them some hope.

Thank You xx

• 2358 posts
    April 10, 2015 11:47 PM BST

A sad state of affairs, criminal, list and detail every verified story. then we can show, just how horrific things get, each story is five minutes in print, but if we collect them all and show just how common it is, perhaps eventually it will have some shock value.

• April 11, 2015 1:05 PM BST

10 Year old Cameron McWilliams was ignored by teachers so went home and hung himself. No person will never know whether he was a she because no person cared. I am calling this now deceased a girl out of respect , she is refered to as a boy or a him/he and I knew how that felt as a child.

http://theangels.co.uk/2008/06//cross-dress-pupil-suicide/

Take care x

This post was edited by Former Member at April 13, 2015 4:05 PM BST
    • 2127 posts
    April 11, 2015 3:13 PM BST

Here's my tuppence worth...  I am deeply saddened every time I hear about a transgender person taking their own life.  It's always a needless waste that could be prevented with better education about trans matters and if of course, Joe Public had a better understanding of what it's all about.  The only exposure most 'normal' people out there have had to transsexuals and crossdressers are the crazy scenes they witnessed on shows like Jerry Springer, where it's obvious that the researchers went out of their way to find the very worst examples of drug-addled sex workers they could because ordinary, everyday trans people are not interesting enough and don't provide exciting television.  Therefore, Joe Public thinks we're all like that, even though the examples that were trotted out on Springer represented just a tiny fraction of the trans community.

So, something has to be done to counter the decades of bad TV and press our community has undergone.

I would love to make this site a shining example of what could be achieved but there are many dangers.  The very reason we decided on having an age restriction on the under 18's is because of the potential that sites like ours have for abuse.  Of course those of us who run the site would never dream of using our positions to abuse or groom young members but we cannot vouch for the thousands of other members. 

This site is structured to be a social environment, much like Facebook, that encourages people to interact and make friends but I think that is the last thing a site that is aimed at minors should do.  Also, we are all amateurs and while we may really want to help as much as we can, we are not trained in this area and we are also not vetted and proven to be trustworthy when dealing with children. 

Consequently, I do not think this is the right place to offer help.  If we should encounter any kids who need help, then I think the best course of action would be to point them to properly qualified and trusted people who really can make a difference.  There are a number of organisations around whose sole job is to assist young people who may be confused about their gender identity.  We have a useful list on this page…

http://gendersociety.com/pages/under18s

Can I suggest that we all make a note of that URL and maybe we can give it to anyone we encounter who wishes to know more.

Thanks, Katie  

• April 11, 2015 5:48 PM BST

Hi Katie.

No one is suggesting that underage members come here this is about raising awareness as to what seems to be an ever increasing waste of young lives. Adults can learn from this and those adults that read this could be looking in from outside. So called "Normal" People need to understand and we are a good 30 years behind the rest of those letters LGB and the T is always last. Ask anyone if they know a gay person and the answer will be yes. Ask anyone if they know a transgender person and most will say no.

When I attended college last year the first thing I noticed was a sign. That sign stated , we do not tolerate homophobia , agism , racism or harrassment to disabled individuals. I questioned that sign asking why is Transphobia not included on it?. The answer was , I was the first one to question it. It has now been corrected so if I had not questioned it then it would neved had been changed.

Under age transgenders can read this without joining GS so at least they know they are not alone and there are people who care.

I suggested that I could ask a teacher to join GS . I know many teachers and the one I have in mind is a genetic female. It may not be a good thing that she see's me as an inspiration along with the others I have met but she learnt a lot from me . She knows how passionate I feel about "All teachers" looking out for the signs. I can stay out of this but there is no reason why other members cannot take this forward.

So underage members aside transgender individuals over the age of 18 do end their own lives. Normally anyone who says publicly they are going to commit suicide are looking for attention for some reason. Most people who end their own lives do not let the world know they intend to do it.

One member here posted on facebook that they have had enough and were going to kill themselves. When no response came back from others online the police were called and their door was broken down. The police found the PC on and no one home. They did return home and were more concerned about who was going to fix the door , when the police asked where she had been the answer was shopping. I knew that member personally and I was not shocked to hear about it.

It is the real ones that need to know there are people who understand. The link is very usefull but will it save any lives? . It may do and I hope it can and it is good it is there. For the so called "Normal" people to understand us they do need to meet us.

Trusted members of society who are not transgender can help if given the chance and they care. They could be Teachers or Doctors or many professionals who can learn from GS. My doctors surgery now has 10,000 patients , I am the only Transexual one they are aware of. That is an incorrect figure , I am not 1 in 10,000 . The others are scared and that fear needs to be taken away.

Need to go , take care x.

This post was edited by Former Member at April 12, 2015 6:18 AM BST
    • 2358 posts
    April 11, 2015 7:16 PM BST

Thankyou for responding Katie,   I am not advocating, we allow under age people to join the site, for the very reasons you gave.   We do not have the facilities, expertise or the funds.

The idea is to collect and catalogue these sad instances.   An unarmed  black man is shot 5 times in the back running away from police in america, it made the front pages of most newspapers all over the civilised world, whereas most of these sad stories involving trans people are just about mentioned in local press, or LGBT related publications, how many teachers, politicians read those.  

The idea is to collect the facts of individual cases and periodically present them to teachers and responsible people etc,

with factual information on the causes of gender identity problems to create a better understanding, so those people can recognise when a person needs help.    Wonder just how many people recognise the difficulties we undergo, from my experience of school, those that should know better, just adopt an ''well if you do this or that you are inviting trouble and deserve what you get''.  play with fire sooner or later your gonna get burned.

I am not saying everyone has Reifenstiens syndrome, AIS, mutated genes, a mis formed brain whatever, just  saying if one teacher read some of the stuff thats been discovered,, they might come to that what if moment and passed on what they learned here on GS to another teacher.

If a kid regularly turns ups at school with a black eye, broken bones, or an outgoing happy kid suddenly becomes withdrawn and acts out of character, they would ask questions.   why should they not be aware of conditions like Gender identity problems and the causes and  repercussions that result in indifference and ignorance .      How many of them regret after the event in not understanding and being able to help. give those people the knowledge and links to sites where they can help and guide people to sources where they can get the help. these people need to read these sad stories, it might motivate them to taking a more active role.

This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at April 11, 2015 8:18 PM BST
  • April 11, 2015 8:18 PM BST

http://www.kusi.com/story/28767207/transgender-teens-commits-suicide-because-of-bullying

Added for Sage David

This post was edited by Former Member at April 13, 2015 4:10 PM BST
    • 2127 posts
    April 12, 2015 2:01 PM BST

On the subject of trans kids, here are two interesting pages the old BBC put up in the last week...

The story of two transgender children

and...

An exclusive interactive interview with a 6 and 8 year old – who were born boys, but currently live as girls

KT  

This post was edited by katieglover at April 13, 2015 9:11 AM BST
  • April 12, 2015 2:23 PM BST

Edited post:

I edited this post for the following reasons. (1) It was in response to the post above it (2) The post above this is not a tragic suicide (3) After reading the story through at slower speed and watching the video it is only my personal opinion that no child should change gender roles untill at least they are 10 years of age.

Back on topic . Yesterday Today or Tomorrow a transgender individual will end their own life in the United Kingdom.

This post was edited by Former Member at April 13, 2015 3:24 PM BST
  • April 12, 2015 6:02 PM BST

http://laist.com/2015/04/09/transgender_teen_bullied_at_school.php

Taylor Alesana could have had a wonderful lifeCry

This post was edited by Former Member at April 13, 2015 3:56 PM BST
  • April 12, 2015 6:09 PM BST

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-30645896

Leelah could have had a wonderful lifeCry.

This post was edited by Former Member at April 12, 2015 6:16 PM BST
  • April 12, 2015 6:32 PM BST

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/nov/19/young-transgender-suicide-attempts-survey

• 2358 posts
    April 12, 2015 6:45 PM BST

A transgender teacher committed suicide and Daily Mail reporter Richard Littlejohn’s “bullying” tactics are being blamed. Lucy Meadows, who was born a male, underwent surgery to become a woman. One headline reportedly above the Littlejohn article about Meadows read, “He’s not only in the wrong body … he’s in the wrong job.”

The growing protest against the Daily Mail reporter who allegedly bullied the transgender teacher claim the reporter harassed and belittled the individual. Richard Littlejohn reportedly referenced Lucy Meadows “personal problems” when covering the story.

The 32-year-old transgender teacher was found dead on Tuesday. Meadows began working and living as a woman three months ago. The story of the transgender transition made national news after a letter from the St. Mary Magdalen’s C of E primary school head teacher was allegedly leaked to the press in December.

The letter to parents said that teacher Nathan Upton was to be addressed as Miss Meadows following Christmas break. Upton was reportedly a popular teacher at the school.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/584949/transgender-teacher-commits-suicide-daily-mail-reporter-blamed/#eqz8xqm8SfssuPIt.99
    • 2358 posts
    April 12, 2015 6:54 PM BST

A US report has found that 60% of trans people who have been refused medical care have attempted suicide.

The National Transgender Discrimination Survey was conducted by the Williams Institute UCLA, and polled over 6400 trans or gender non-conforming adults in America.

It looked into a range of different adversities that trans people may face, and found “an unparalleled level of suicidal behaviour among transgender adults”.

Transgender men reported a general attempted suicide rate of 46%, slightly higher than the 42% reported for trans women and 43% for people who identify as non-binary.

Even the 21% rate among cisgender male cross-dressers – the lowest attempted suicide rate among groups studied – is far higher than the 4.6% of the overall US population who report a lifetime suicide attempt.

Among trans people who had been refused medical care by a doctor, 60% had attempted suicide. The figure rose to 61% among those who said they have been harassed by the police, and 69% among those who had experienced homelessness.

Trans people were also far more likely to attempt suicide if they had a low income, had been harassed at work, or if they had not been accepted by their family.

Jody L Herman, manager of transgender research at the Williams Institute said: “It’s alarming all across the board.”

A study last month found that 78% of trans people living in Ireland have considered suicide.

• 2358 posts
    April 12, 2015 7:07 PM BST

In the UK the  hidden extent of suicide attempts among young transgender people has been highlighted in a study.

A survey found that 48% of trans people under 26 said they had attempted suicide, and 30% said they had done so in the past year, while 59% said they had at least considered doing so.

By comparison, about 6% of all 16- to 24-year-olds say they have attempted suicide, according to the Adult Psychiatry Morbidity Survey.

The research was conducted by Pace, a mental health charity for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, in partnership with Brunel University, the University of Worcester, and London South Bank University. It involved interviews and a survey of more than 2,000 people in England from 2010 to 2014.

The figures on suicide attempts by trans youth were higher than those found in previous studies across all age groups. A US study in 2006 found that 32% of trans people had tried to kill themselves. And they found 35% had attempted suicide once and 25% a second time.

The Pace research also found 59% of transgender youth said they had deliberately hurt themselves, compared with 8.9% of all 16- to 24-year-olds.

• April 12, 2015 7:13 PM BST

Some of the articles I have found I cannot and will not post links to because they say transgender but then call them by their birth gender which just confuses the general public even more. They show no respect for the reason they end their lives which is [Edit: Were] living as the gender they feel they are [Edit: Were].

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/transgender-boy-16-commits-suicide-after-years-bullying020315

This post was edited by Former Member at April 12, 2015 7:20 PM BST
    • 2358 posts
    April 12, 2015 8:18 PM BST

Walt Heyer

Transgenders suicide death rate at 30%

One out of every 3 transgenders, even after undergoing a surgical gender change, will die from suicide. Gender surgery is no help in preventing or reducing transgender suicide deaths. More than 40% of transgenders will attempt suicide and 30% will not survive the attempts and die.

From the Transgender Task Force’s own studies in the United States, to the UK’s extensive 50 years of research, along with a 30 year study of all transgenders in Sweden, we amass a wealth of evidence that changing genders all too often ends in suicide. I have reviewed a large cross section of studies and they have helped me discover that many transgenders suffer from depressive disorders, just like I did years ago. All of which predicts and explains the staggering suicide rates we see today, sadly.

As a transgender, I find this is far too important to ignore or stay silent about. I myself underwent the full range of hormones and surgeries 30 years ago. While digging into the research studies I was able see how my own life progressed from a child with gender dysphoria and depression to considering suicide. My gender dysphoria evolved from a troubled childhood.

The gender change advocates do a lot of shouting about bullying and discrimination, but there is no sound evidence they want to prevent suicides. The transgender advocates gleefully focus all their resources on new laws for the protection and expansion of sexual freedoms. They apply no matching resources toward the prevention of suicide. Nor do they lobby the media to push for the treatment of depressive disorders, alcoholism and drug addiction in an effort to prevent transgender suicides.

After reviewing 40 years of research studies from around the world, we see that far too many transgenders are suffering from a wide range of depressive psychological disorders, driving 30% of them to commit suicide.

Now it’s time to focus financial, media and advocates on prevention of suicide

Cristine Shye  Its not the who they have become, it's the way society discriminates and rejects them, in work, school, everyday scenarios. most emerging in their new identities with great expectations, having their confidence slowly destroyed, believing family, friends will eventually come around to accepting them.   If these few are allready depressed due to other issues, they should be counted in the cis gendered statitistics in their aquired  gender not soley because they are transgendered

Walt Heyer  Changing genders: Poverty, Homelessness, Misuse of Drugs and Suicide

We have all been persuaded by news reports that if you suffer from gender identity disorder your life will greatly improve if you just change your gender. It is even suggested for 5 year old kids.

But will changing gender really improving the lives of people who suffer from gender disorders? Well you can draw your own conclusions after reading some of the survey results from 6,450 transgenders:

1. Transgenders report living in extreme poverty.
    2. They report misuse of drugs and alcohol
    3. Transgenders report low incomes at 4 times the rate of non-transgenders.
    4. Transgender report being unemployed at twice that of the general population.
    5. 2% of transgenders reported being homeless, twice the national average.
    6. 41% of transgenders report attempting suicide.

Are these the signs of improved lives?

This survey was conducted in 2011 by The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force when they joined with the National Center for Transgender Equality. The results were published under the title: Injustice at Every Turn. The survey was intended to show the wide-ranging discrimination suffered by transgenders. I, however, would suggest that what they really proved was that changing genders does not improve the lives of transgenders.

Even a colleague of Dr. Harry Benjamin, Dr. Ihlenfeld, who worked with the transgender population reported in 1979 that 80% of people who wanted sex change surgery should not have it. Dr. Ihlenfeld said, “There is too much unhappiness and too many suicides.” So nothing is new. For 35 years changing genders has been reported to cause too much unhappiness and resulted in too many suicides.

The 2011 survey results can lead the reader to suspect that the modern day consequences of changing genders are, as they were in 1979, poor quality of life and suicide attempts. 

The young 5 year old kids can look forward to a 30% death by suicide if they are among the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgenders between the ages of 15 to 24. Is that what we want for them?

Changing genders is some very strong medicine the advocates are pushing. Is this a prescription you want to put your name on?  

Walt Heyer
    Been there; done that. It is no way to live.
    www.sexchangeregret.com

This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at April 12, 2015 9:38 PM BST
    • 2358 posts
    April 12, 2015 8:45 PM BST

http://birmingham.tab.co.uk/2014/04/13/transgender-gaga-fan-commits-suicide-after-years-of-torment-and-bullying/

Jordan Howe was inspired by a meeting with Lady Gaga but took her own life after years of bullying

A transgender girl who was inspired after Lady Gaga told her “you can be anything you want to be” took her own life in March.

Jordan Howe, a 19 year-old musician and artist from Lurgan, Ireland, had suffered years of bullying before her death. She was planning to go to university next year.

• April 12, 2015 9:38 PM BST

http://www.vocativ.com/culture/lgbt/transgender-suicide/

This post was edited by Former Member at April 13, 2015 3:54 PM BST
    • 2358 posts
    April 14, 2015 2:06 PM BST

Transgender study looks at 'exceptionally high' suicide-attempt rate

January 28, 2014|By Emily Alpert Reyes

A whopping 41% of people who are transgender or gender-nonconforming have attempted suicide sometime in their lives, nearly nine times the national average, according to a sweeping survey released three years ago.

In a new study released Tuesday, researchers dug deeper into that number, analyzing the results of the National Transgender Discrimination Survey to examine what puts transgender people at such "exceptionally high" risk.

Researchers from the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law found that the risk of attempting suicide was especially severe for transgender or gender nonconforming people who had suffered discrimination or violence, such as being physically or sexually assaulted at work or school.

Among transgender people who became homeless because of bias against their gender identity, 69% said they had tried to kill themselves. Out of those who had been turned away by a doctor because they were transgender or gender-nonconforming, 60% had attempted suicide sometime in their lives, the survey found.

Nearly two-thirds of respondents who were the victims of domestic violence at the hands of a family member had attempted suicide, the study also showed. Suicide attempts were less common among transgender and gender-nonconforming people who said their family ties had remained strong after they came out.

"This report punctuates what PFLAG families know is fundamental -- that there is life-saving merit, demonstrable value, and paramount need for family acceptance," said Diego Sanchez, policy director for PFLAG National, an organization for family, friends and supporters of LGBT people.

Being "out" as transgender was also tied to steeper risk, the study showed: People who tell everyone that they are transgender or gender-nonconforming, or who said that other people could always or usually tell that they were transgender, were more likely to have attempted suicide.

Researchers wrote that being recognized as transgender by other people probably made them a target of more discrimination, putting them at greater risk -- a finding that echoes earlier research.

Having a mental health condition increased the chance that a transgender or gender-nonconforming person had attempted suicide, as did having a lower income or being HIV-positive. But researchers said that the most stunning finding was just how high the risk was for all transgender and gender-nonconforming people, no matter how much money they made, how much education they had, or whether they were single or married.

Even transgender people at comparatively "low" risk were still much more likely to have attempted suicide than the general population, they wrote, with "lows" often ranging from 30% to 40%. Transgender and gender-nonconforming people who had gotten graduate degrees, for instance, had a lifetime risk of attempting suicide of 31% -- lower than less-educated transgender people, but still astoundingly high.

"It's alarming all across the board," said Jody L. Herman, manager of transgender research at the Williams Institute.

Researchers cautioned that it remains unclear whether the earlier survey, which included more than 6,400 people, was representative of the entire transgender and gender-nonconforming population of the United States. However, other surveys in the U.S. and abroad have also suggested "an unparalleled level of suicidal behavior among transgender adults

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/jan/28/local/la-me-ln-suicide-attempts-alarming-transgender-20140127
  • April 14, 2015 7:47 PM BST

Found this link within your link above Crissie.

http://jezebel.com/trans-woman-commits-suicide-amid-fear-of-outing-by-spor-1503902916

This post was edited by Former Member at April 14, 2015 7:48 PM BST
  • April 16, 2015 2:25 PM BST

http://www.lauras-playground.com/transgender_mortality.htm

This post was edited by Former Member at April 16, 2015 9:20 PM BST
  • April 16, 2015 11:13 PM BST

I just wish to share something and it is about myself so if you are not interested then you have been warned so just move on.

About 9 years ago I was so close to ending my life , maybe even minutes away from it. It was after I had told my family about me being transexual and they at first seemed to accept that. It very soon became clear I was wrong. The doors were slammed in my face and however hard I tried I was fighting a losing battle trying to hold on to them. At the time I was living alone in the Norfolk countryside and I was then very isolated. I had planned ending my life down to every last detail. There was a razor blade at the side of my bed and it was there every night just waiting for the right time. That time had come and I was drained of all my emotions.

I knew that my body losing its blood was going to make me feel cold and I hate being cold. I did not want to spend my last moments  feeling cold. I turned the electric blanket on to attempt to stop that and then swallowed 25 mg of Diazepam , that is not enough the kill yourself with but they do make you sleepy and 25 mgs makes you very sleepy. I lay there with that blade in one hand just thinking and waiting for the moment just before I fell asleep. I had no fear of death because life was or seemed worthless.

Something went wong and it was not fear but I fell asleep without the chance to use the blade. I woke up very hot as the electric blanket was still on and I was still holding the razor blade.

In some strange way I thought that was a sign and not one from any stupid god. I saw that as a sign that I should see my doctor and get my life sorted out and not be planning my death. I had no family who would talk to me but after seeing my doctor I started to see a future and not an end. I transitioned overnight and it was not easy but it did get easier. After about 6 weeks of determination people started to accept me and then I started to make new friends. As each day past the past was further in the past and my future was looking better.

So as not to bore you I am just saying that there is always a better way however bad things get and things were really bad for me.

I have knowingly saved 3 lives since then and have been told that to my face by the people who said that my life had given them hope and saved their lives. I have also saved a man on the street whos heart had stopped by giving him CPR. So that makes four lives in all. If I had taken my life that night I would not be typing this and four other people would be dead too. I think I made the right choice talking to my doctor .

Take care x

• April 25, 2015 1:02 PM BST

Although the story in the link below is very sad this person could have been helped more. After the event it is to late. Looking at the image it is easy to see why this ended the way it did. It was a tragedy waiting to happen but with some support and professional intervention could have been prevented. Living in Carlisle cannot be cited as a reason this happened. Anyone presenting themselves in that way it could have happened anywhere. Even a member here recently stated they were going to transition with a quarter of an inch of facial hair. If anyone thinks that will make your life easy then think again you are very wrong. All it takes is some common sense because if you intend to go out in public just take a look in the mirror first. What the public will see is exactly the same as the reflection.

This is still another human life lost but with some good advice and support may have been prevented.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mikki-nicholson-transgender-scrabble-champion-5566289

This post was edited by Former Member at April 25, 2015 1:05 PM BST