Hormones and the SRS

• September 2, 2004 10:43 AM BST
    Hi girls

I got today advice for the hormone stop during the SRS from my endocrinologist. She said nobody knows exactly if you should spot the hormones 4 or 2 weeks before the surgery. You can stop earlier, but then face OTHER problems due to the lack of hormones that counterweight the gain. She said she agrees with the 2 weeks my surgeon has suggested. When lying in the hospital bed she said it is advisable to take a mini portion of aspirin.
    But not RIGHT after the surgery, because it may cause some bleeding.
    She said it is perhaps best to start the hormones when at home back from the trip and the long flight, and start with a low dose, the first week only 2mg Estrofem a day, then 4mg...
    And if that feels okay, I could stay on 4. If not, then raise to 6mg. And she said I should continue Androcur, 50mg a day. Because otherwise kidneys could multiply their testosterone production. Wow, that was new to me...

Laura
    • 1198 posts
    September 2, 2004 11:02 AM BST
    Wow this all sound's way out, does the hormones cause some sort of reaction to the surgery Laura?.......love JJ xx
  • September 2, 2004 11:29 AM BST
    Well they speak about blood clottig risks. I don´t know about genetic women...is their estradiol somehow different?
    Probably I do what they say...but start my HRT again as soon as I´m off the bed. I´m a bit afraid of the HRT break.

Laura
    • 1198 posts
    September 2, 2004 11:30 AM BST
    Sandra,
    i honestly can't say, i was just wondering if the hormones somehow interfear with the surgery? But maybe the surgens feel the need to stop the mone's for some precaution, its hard to say why they feel this.....love JJ xx
  • September 2, 2004 11:40 AM BST
    I have felt so wonderful during my HRT that it makes me fear I face some kind of a nightmare from the past if I stop...

Laura
  • September 2, 2004 12:09 PM BST
    Yes and the testo produced by the adrenal gland (sorry my former translation mistake, in finnish "additional kidney") is probably so limited it is actually only welcome. Women need also some testosterone. And I know some post-ops who take also testo pills.

Laura
    • 16 posts
    November 8, 2006 3:31 AM GMT

Reading most of the posts here it seems people who take hormones move on to getting SRS surgery.

Is this always the case or have people transistioned with hormones only and not wanted surgery.

Would a doctor prescribe hormones without the patient asking for SRS surgery?

Kim.
  • November 8, 2006 3:06 PM GMT
    Depends on your country. Here in Finland it is possible.
    In Italy I think not. Many patients cannot take the surgery because of risks.

Laura
    • 1083 posts
    November 8, 2006 5:29 PM GMT
    I'm on hormones, and while I have not ruled out the potential and possiblilty of SRS, at this time I have no plans or desires to undergo "The Operation." Living as I do is giving me relief enough for now.

Never say never, though...

Luv 'n hugs,

Dr. Mina Sakura
    • 2573 posts
    September 2, 2004 12:32 PM BST
    I have read reports that American SRS patients have died from blood clots during/after SRS because they refused to stop hormones three to four weeks before surgery.

Some have described the experience of stopping HRT as being like menopause. Disturbing but tolerable. It seems to be fairly normal for TS to experience stress over this requirement.

The adrenal glands, located above the kidneys, produce small amounts of testosterone in both sexes. The testes pump out a lot more of it and small amounts of estrogen and progesterone. The ovaries produce small amounts of androgens in addition to large amounts of estrogen and progesterone. Analogous structures, with the same embryonic source, performing the same functions to different degrees.

What amazes me is how evolution could have made such a genetic error and yet come up with functional males and how FEW of us there are who didn't quite get it quite right in the womb...or are we the remnants of the local stations on The Tube of the evolutionary process from female to male, still popping up like genetic Cro-Magnons? In any event, we deserve a little more respect from the world for our "sacrifice" for the evolution of the human race. Our genetic ancestors may have been the pioneers of Homo Sapiens.