Looking for Advice

• 2 posts
    June 3, 2015 7:03 AM BST

Hello I'm new to all of this, this forum and everything in general but I'll get straight to the point. I am a 19 year old straight male and I know I am male but at times I often wonder what it would be like to be a girl. My friends say I act flamboyant a lot and I'm kind of jealous of girls because I think that men are expected to be manly and tough but I'm more sensitive, shy and like cute things. I'd also rather watch a good romance movie than watch things get blown up for a couple hours. I play a lot of video games and when I do I usually choose to be a girl because I think I feel more combatable playing as a girl character than a male one. I just wanted to get some advice from people with experience with this kind of stuff, I don't know whether I'm just a bit more feminine than other guys or something else. Also I'm sorry if my writing is all over the place, writing is not my strong suit.

• June 3, 2015 9:58 AM BST
    I can identify with some of the things you are saying. There's no defining tick list that says you are one thing or another. I actually like scifi or action movies at times whether I'm being Julia or my other side. So if you like rom coms then that's ok but many women can't abide them. You may just like what you like and it might not mean you are one thing or another. Others here might have different opinions to me, it's worth gathering some opinions and look at some other resources to get a bit more information.
  • June 3, 2015 11:52 AM BST
    It's good that your questioning this now! Really confront yourself (as you already appear to be doing) There is nothing wrong with being a man and having those interests. Many women prefer a sensitive guy, especially as life goes on and family life arrives! Broaden your social world would be my advice. Sensitive, shy and cute is not a description I'd use for any of the women I know, yet they are feminine in everyway. My own interests include martial arts, horror movies and cycling. I dare you to tell me I'm not a woman, lol
    Explore yourself fully, you only have one life. Be yourself, as you feel, people will respect that more than fitting into sterotypes. Don't give yourself to the world, set your own standards. Everyone is unique! Welcome btwX
  • June 3, 2015 12:35 PM BST
    Andie you said it better than me. I think it's better to be yourself and accept you like what you like and that we're all different. Definitely look around. If you feel your not like your group of friends then maybe it's just time to find others who share what you feel is important whether they are male or female doesn't matter.

As I said there's no ticklist we're all different. I hate to say but you will know if you don't already that you want to feel like a woman does at times. I know I did.
    • 2 posts
    June 3, 2015 1:49 PM BST

Thank you both for all the advice, you've given me a lot to think about but in a good way

• June 3, 2015 2:00 PM BST
    There is a lot to think about but take your time and try to avoid being sucked into other people's stereotypes. Good luck
  • June 3, 2015 2:36 PM BST
    I remember being your age and I remember that I felt then there is a side of me that is feminine and wants to express itself by adopting the role of a girl. I knew I wasn't gay, I knew I liked girls I knew I liked many male things. I did feel though that I had to physically look the part. In looking the part I felt different I felt a whole different side of me come forth. I did also still have my masculine side there but I felt different in my head, how I acted etc. when I wasn't being my femme side I would be as manly as the next guy. I mean I did a bit of bodybuilding etc too. But I never could shake the feel there was a girl inside looking to get out.