Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » UK Transgender Law » Changing your name legally in the UK

Changing your name legally in the UK

Tags : None
  • We already have a forum thread about this but I thought I'd start another one just in case anyone was searching for information on how to go about this.

It is the legal right of any UK citizen over 18 to change their name at any time. There is nothing to stop you going by a different name as you choose, but you will need a change of name deed (usually referred to as a deed poll) for it to be recognised by banks, DVLA, passport agancy and so on. There is no charge to make a deed poll, no government body that does it for you, and no database on which your name change is registered or stored. (You may if you wish, pay to enroll your new name on the public record but this is entirely optional and really serves no purpose). Although there are online sites who unscrupulously charge for the "service" of creating a deed poll, it is something you can do yourself for free. 

See this article from The Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/jun/29/deed-poll-websites-avoid

"Many online companies will print their deed polls to look like certificates using watermarked paper, embossed with an official-looking seal. But these have no legal status and are not a necessary part of the legal process to change your name...

Furthermore, the Ministry of Justice does not regulate, monitor or approve any documents issued by online deed poll companies."

The above mentioned companies often try to fool you into thinking it must be done through them, with official-sounding names like, "The UK Deed Poll Service". I could start my own such company and do the same, but I'm not a charlatan. You can buy a plot of land on the moon or have a star named after you too, but don't be fooled; they're all crooks. No-one owns the moon, the stars, or your identity.

A change of name deed is simply a "contract with yourself", but it must be signed by a witness who is not a member of your immediate family. Make several "originals" and get your witness to sign each one; many companies will require sight of the orginal and will not accept a photocopy, always ask them to return it and provide a stamped, addressed envelope.

As soon as you have made your deed poll apply for a new driving licence and passport, it's a straightforward process, forms available from the post office, probably downloadable from the internet too. These will be invaluable in proving your identity to banks and other official bodies.

I'll add the legal wording and format of a UK deed poll in a separate post.

Enjoy your new identity!

xx

June 5, 2015 3:41 PM BST
  • That's really informative ♥ what I never realised is that you can also change your title as.well, to anything you choose as long as it dosent represent qualification’s. X
      June 5, 2015 4:01 PM BST
  • (Change of Name) Regulations 1994, Statutory Instrument 1994 No. 604.

''The Adult Deed Poll will enable those persons aged 16 or over to change their legal name by Deed Poll.

**people who have had or who are having gender reassignment may choose to change their gender title from Ms to Mr or vice versa. [in accordance with the UK gender Recognition Act 2004/05 as revised 2008}**'' this part the age limit is 18.

Lucy is right, many institutions, will not accept a photo copy, so print of as many copies as you think you will need, sign each one and get each one witnessed, then they are all deemed legally, original documents.

Note photo copies of signatures is not accepted, by the passport office, DLVA, DWP. and most banks. in some cases if your the recipient of an inheritance, land registry or shares portfolio, you may be required to swear an affidavit, in front of a commisioner of oaths, usally about £7 who will be the recordred witness and he will hold a record of said swearing.

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
    This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at June 5, 2015 4:05 PM BST
      June 5, 2015 4:04 PM BST
  • Cristine, Shye said:

(Change of Name) Regulations 1994, Statutory Instrument 1994 No. 604.

''The Adult Deed Poll will enable those persons aged 16 or over to change their legal name by Deed Poll.

**people who have had or who are having gender reassignment may choose to change their gender title from Ms to Mr or vice versa. [in accordance with the UK gender Recognition Act 2004/05 as revised 2008}**'' this part the age limit is 18.

Lucy is right, many institutions, will not accept a photo copy, so print of as many copies as you think you will need, sign each one and get each one witnessed, then they are all deemed legally, original documents.

Note photo copies of signatures is not accepted, by the passport office, DLVA, DWP. and most banks. in some cases if your the recipient of an inheritance, land registry or shares portfolio, you may be required to swear an affidavit, in front of a commisioner of oaths, usally about £7 who will be the recorded witness and he will hold a record of said swearing.

I think you will find with a little more research that you can change your title! Trust! I've done it and applied for a passport, changed my banking details in person, informed my workplace, tax office and NHS records. Lol I've done.this.over the past month. It would go against current Equality law and Human rights act,to deny a transgendered person this. Transitioning is a protected characteristic and Since you no longer need medical supervision to claim rights as a person who is transitioning, you need no evidence nor even visible appearance suited to the title. What you can't do is claim to be female if a box asks you your sex, until you successfully apply for.a gender recognation certificate X

This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at August 12, 2015 2:48 PM BST
      June 5, 2015 5:58 PM BST
  • As Cristine said, "People who have had or who are having gender reassignment may choose to change their gender title..."

And in fact now you don't have to have had or be having gender reassignment; no dispute there, Andie. I did the same although I did get a letter from my gender clinic to aid my passoprt application (but that was before the GRA came into effect).

xx

June 5, 2015 6:15 PM BST
  • I think if you read my post I mentioned the change of title which you reposted

June 5, 2015 6:16 PM BST
  • My point.was.Christine, though badly worded was that you don't need to be transitioning at all, anyone can change there title as they please, you are also entitled to have your workplace and service providers refer to you by the pronoun of your choice, regardless of your title! I.thought you were.disagreeing with this. X This post was edited by Andie Priscilla Swainson at June 5, 2015 6:47 PM BST
      June 5, 2015 6:46 PM BST
  • Prior to the GRA coming into force, one could not change their gender on the passport, because it was linked to their birth certificate, one had a doctors letter to explain the change of name and the contradictoray gender marker.   

Prior to the Corbet V Corbet (April Ashley) 1970 one could change their gender on their birth certificate, but during the a/m divorce the judge ruled . that because at the time of registration the gender marker on a birth certificate was a true fact, it could not be changed, the marriage was anulled, as being unlawful (The marriage was void ab initio) This also applied to passports regarding birth gender being a true fact at registration,  Which set back trans rights some 35 years.  In this forum there are case histories that brought about the advent of the GRA.   We have come a long way, the UK has probably the most all encompassing gender rights act in the world.

This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at June 5, 2015 7:24 PM BST
      June 5, 2015 7:01 PM BST
  • Your post Andie ref anyone can change their gender marker even if they do not intend to transition, the wording in the GRA is ''for those intending,  undergoing or have undergone transitioning, there have been a couple of cases taken to the European Courts of Human rights, where they ruled against the appelants, who were not undergoing medical supervised transition, in accordance with the UK GRA.

The European Human Rights Charter is not absolute where member states have their own Gender Recognition Acts, approved and accepted by the European Human rights commision, As long as those countries are adhering to their own acts.   Some states in the EU require a person to be post op before a GRC can be issued.   Althought italy is a member of the charter, Vatican City recognised as a seperate state, is exempt from enforcing any trans act.   Churches throughout the Union are also exempt from being forced to recognise the act, based on religous belief.   

If this government, takes us out of the Human Rights Charter, there will be no rights of appeal, speaking as a 3rd year law student, I cannot see Strasbourg, giving way on some parts of the act and not others, their attitude is you can't pick and choose.   No tele's and no right to vote for prisoners will also result in a wider range of right of appeal on UK trans issues.

This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at June 5, 2015 8:58 PM BST
      June 5, 2015 7:19 PM BST
  • Deed of Change of Name

BY THIS DEED OF CHANGE OF NAME made by myself the undersigned [New Name] of [Your house number and street, your town] in the County of [Your county] formerly known as [Former Name], a British Citizen under section 37(1) of the British Nationality Act 1981

HEREBY DECLARE AS FOLLOWS:

I. I ABSOLUTELY and entirely renounce, relinquish and abandon the use of my said former name [Former Name] and assume, adopt and determine to take and use from the date hereof the name of [New Name] in substitution for my former name of [Former Name]

II. I SHALL AT ALL TIMES hereafter in all records, deeds documents and other writings and in all actions and proceedings as well as in all dealings and transactions and on all occasions whatsoever use and subscribe the said name of [New Name] as my name, in substitution for my former name of [Former Name] so relinquished as aforesaid to the intent that I may hereafter be called known or distinguished not by the former name of [Former Name] but by the name [New Name]

III. I AUTHORISE AND REQUIRE all persons at all times to designate, describe, and address me by the adopted name of [New Name]

IN WITNESS whereof I have hereunto subscribed my adopted and substituted name of [New Name] and also my said former name of [Former Name].

SIGNED AS A DEED THIS [Nth] DAY OF [Month] IN THE YEAR [year]

[Sign new name here]

by the above name

[New Name]

[Sign former name here]

by the above name

[Former Name]

Witnessed by:

[Witness signature here]

[Witness name]

[Witness address] 

[Witness 2 signature here]

[Witness 2 name]

[Witness 2 address]

June 5, 2015 9:24 PM BST
  • You need the above document to fit on one page, so using Word, format the last section (all the signatures) into 2 columns. So: New name and signature on the left, old name and signature on the right.

And below that: Witness 1 signature, name & address on the left, witness 2 signature, name & address on the right.

Some other formatting may not go amiss, you may need to change the margins to fit it on one page, also best to centre the heading, make it big and bold (Old English text MT is a good font to use for this). Unfortunately I'm not able to do all that here. I'd be happy to email a fully formatted Word document should anyone request it.

Two witnesses are optional, one should in fact suffice. Some recommend having two witnesses though I've never had any problem with only one on my deed poll. If you're only using one, delete the unused section for the second witness.

Delete ALL square brackets and their contents and replace with appropriate names, dates etc.

This post was edited by Lucy Diamond at June 5, 2015 9:36 PM BST
      June 5, 2015 9:31 PM BST
  • this is what I am referring to from GIRES Legal protection and good practice for gender variant, transsexual and transgender people in the workplace Guidelines for employers The Gender Recognition Act, 2004, enables those who have transitioned permanently to acquire a gender recognition certificate (GRC), confirming their new gender status ‘for all purposes’; the birth certificate is automatically renewed for those whose birth was originally registered in the UK. In these circumstances there are heightened privacy requirements for documentation or information that reveals a previous gender status. Those who have learned of the gender reassignment status in their ‘official capacity’ would commit a criminal act, if they divulged this information without the express permission of the individual concerned. Pre-existing marriages or civil partnerships must be annulled before a GRC is awarded. The lack of a GRC must not be used to disadvantage a trans person. Asking to see a GRC is nearly always inappropriate; it may be regarded as harassment, and negates one of its central purposes, that is, to provide privacy. Nor should a birth certificate be required. Identification can usually be provided by Passports or driving licences. fore being granted their GA GRC is not needed in order to change one’s name, pronouns, or gender of presentation at work. Trans people will typically have lived in their affirmed gender for at least 2 years beRC. Transitioning and continuing to work is, for many transsexual people, a requirement if genital surgery is sought. The Human Rights Act 1998 is implicit in all the above legislation. The Act requires transgender people to be treated with respect, dignity and fairness, and with regard for their need for privacy.

This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at June 6, 2015 6:44 PM BST
      June 6, 2015 12:18 AM BST
  • And can someone explain this from a deed poll site that is.recommended and accepted.by UK passport General name change information Advice for transsexuals If you are at the stage where you are ready to permanently live in your acquired gender, you will want to change your name. We provide a confidential service for transsexuals who wish to change their name by Deed Poll. Your Deed Poll document will enable you to get all your official documents and records changed to your new name including your passport, driving licence, bank account and medical records etc. Furthermore, we can also change your title when we change your name. For example, if you are a male-to-female transsexual, it is perfectly legal for you to change your title to Miss, Ms or Mrs when you change your name. The Deed Poll process is the preferred choice for transsexuals who wish to change their legal name and title. Unlike a Statutory Declaration, which needs to be sworn before a Commission for Oaths or Justice of the Peace, the Deed Poll document we post to you simply needs to signed in the presence of an independent witness such as a friend. This can be done in the privacy of your home, which most people prefer to having to make an appointment and visit a firm of solicitors to have a Statutory Declaration sworn. It is important to bear in mind that changing your name and title does not change your gender. (regarding the marriage act and pension entitlement and revised birth certificates) This can only be achieved by obtaining a Gender Recognition Certificate from the Gender Recognition Panel (opens new window). However, as you are probably aware, changing your name and title is part of the required process of demonstrating to the Gender Recognition Panel that you are permanently living in your acquired gender

Cristine Shye added in relation to all other laws, The Criminal and evidence Act, Discrimination Act, Employment and equal oportunities Act it is unlawful to transgess agains the said rights of transexual people ie, gender marker.

This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at June 10, 2015 3:17 PM BST
      June 6, 2015 12:28 AM BST
  • Andie, no-one is disagreeing with you.

Just to clarify the comments made by the deed poll site in your post above:

The fact is that the UK passport agency will accept a deed poll for a change of name. It does not have to be provided by an online company who will simply create a similar document as the one I've posted above, basically filling in all the bits in square brackets on your behalf. You can pay them to do this, or you can do it yourself, either way the passport agency will accept it. A deed poll is a legal document, recognised by all institutions in this country, it is no "less" legal if you create the deed poll yourself. Please read the link to the Guardian article if this is not clear.

And yes, as you say, anyone can change their title. A deed poll is not necessary for this per se, though no-one is likely to take you seriously if you ask them to call you Miss Jonathon Blokeman.

A deed poll is in fact just a change of name document, as you can see from the wording above, there is no mention of titles. Once you have changed your name legally, your new title will be assumed; anyone has the right to be referred to in the gender which they choose.

So yes you can change your title, and your employees and everyone else must respect that, otherwise they are breaking the law. 

The process of assuming a new gender is actually pretty easy in this country.

xx

This post was edited by Lucy Diamond at June 6, 2015 1:15 AM BST
      June 6, 2015 12:51 AM BST
  • Just going to add a bit more to that, sorry...

"Furthermore, we can also change your title when we change your name. For example, if you are a male-to-female transsexual, it is perfectly legal for you to change your title to Miss, Ms or Mrs when you change your name."

This is misleading; firstly, they don't change your name - you do that yourself, such is the nature of a deed poll. As I've said it's a contract with yourself. They only provide the wording for your deed, which you must sign and get witnessed, only then does it become legal and only you, and your witness, can do that. 

Nor do they "change your title". In fact they go on to contradict themselves by correctly stating that "it is perfectly legal for you to change your title to Miss, Ms or Mrs when you change your name."

In short, they are not doing anything for you that I haven't already done in this thread (other than filling in the blanks from the details you provide). There are several companies out there who claim they are "officially recognised" in some way; they are not. Their deed polls are accepted by the likes of the passport agency because a deed poll is a legal document and as such it has to be accepted. What none of these companies tell you is that there is absolutely no need to pay anyone to do this!

A deed poll is a deed poll. Copy the wording in the one above, print it, sign it, you have legally changed your name.

Or pay some charlatan 50 quid to do something you can do yourself.

xx

June 6, 2015 1:11 AM BST
  • Lucy Diamond said:

Andie, no-one is disagreeing with you.

Just to clarify the comments made by the deed poll site in your post above:

The fact is that the UK passport agency will accept a deed poll for a change of name. It does not have to be provided by an online company who will simply create a similar document as the one I've posted above, basically filling in all the bits in square brackets on your behalf. You can pay them to do this, or you can do it yourself, either way the passport agency will accept it. A deed poll is a legal document, recognised by all institutions in this country, it is no "less" legal if you create the deed poll yourself. Please read the link to the Guardian article if this is not clear.

And yes, as you say, anyone can change their title. A deed poll is not necessary for this per se, though no-one is likely to take you seriously if you ask them to call you Miss Jonathon Blokeman.

A deed poll is in fact just a change of name document, as you can see from the wording above, there is no mention of titles. Once you have changed your name legally, your new title will be assumed; anyone has the right to be referred to in the gender which they choose.

So yes you can change your title, and your employees and everyone else must respect that, otherwise they are breaking the law. 

The process of assuming a new gender is actually pretty easy in this country.

xx

Sorry if.I'm.getting her up, I.thought someone was trying to.tell me I.couldn't do.what I've already done. I am still a male shell. You say no.one.will take you seriously? To the world I.am a man called Miss Andie.Priscilla Swainson. It's no.joke. I.do not wear makeup, wigs or prostetic breasts in public. My employer didn't laugh when I.told them?
      June 6, 2015 1:23 AM BST
  • Maybe I've misunderstood Lucy Diamond but I am offended. As I.say.my name is Miss Andie Priscilla Swainson, changed by deed poll. Neither my family, friends nor work mates have any issue. I.did.it.because it bothers me that I am refered to in a male context and the.world around.me.respects that
      June 6, 2015 1:28 AM BST
  • I'm not saying that at all Andie, I was just making the point that anyone has the right to change their title, but, hypothetically, if a man were to change his title to Miss but keep the same male name it wouldn't make much sense to people, and financial and other official institutions would probably question it.

But that's not you, what you have done is perfectly legitimate. And your employer must take you seriously, as must everyone else thanks to the Gender Recognition Act.

Early transition can be a difficult time, some people, especially those who know you well may have difficulties adjusting to your new status. But adjust they must.

You have done nothing wrong Andie, I never once suggested you had. Your deed poll is legitimate and you are entitled to call yourself Miss. I have no issue with that.

I'm just trying to help others to understand the process.

xx

June 6, 2015 1:37 AM BST
  • Cristine, Shye said:

Your post Andie ref anyone can change their gender marker even if they do not intend to transition, the wording in the GRA is ''for those intending,  undergoing or have undergone transitioning, there have been a couple of cases taken to the European Courts of Human rights, where they ruled against the appelants, who were not undergoing medical supervised transition, in accordance with the UK GRA.

I don't get this and I.want to, since 2013 you no longer need medical supervision to be recognised as transgendered in UK law This post was edited by Andie Priscilla Swainson at June 6, 2015 2:00 AM BST
      June 6, 2015 1:55 AM BST
  • the wording in the GRA is ''for those intending,  undergoing or have undergone transitioning, other relevant sections refer to changing your gender marker on documents, ideally you would have a letter of referal from a doctor confirming this change is to be permanant in the case of passport and driving licence.

Your not reading what I have written  ****people who have had or who are having gender reassignment may choose to change their gender title from Ms to Mr or vice versa. [in accordance with the UK gender Recognition Act 2004/05 as revised 2008}**'' this part the age limit is 18.****

You will need a  GRC as it realted to pension entitlement women in relation to your ammended birth certificate DOB, but a GRC is not required to change your NI number  , thats a rather confusing issue in that your records will have  F on them, but as far as pensions go as far as I'm aware,at the moment it won't qualify you for a pension at the earlier age. but there is a move to equate the age in equality for pension rights. so if that bill is passed it becomes irrelevant.

I qouted from the GRA as revised, in relationship to passports, medical documents, you have to substantiate that your transitioning  before you can change your gender marker on some documents,   You have to refer to the requirements under the medical supervisions act, the passport act, the marriage act.  the GRA is not all encompassing and is linked to various other acts.  One does not in this country have to have a GRC to change other related documents which is a basic requirement of the act, for RLE but excludes birth certificates, which you can get a new one issued on reciept of the GRC changing your name and gender marker.   Birth certificates are something else because the were a true fact at the time of registration, hence the requirement for a GRC. there is no requirement in the UK to undergo 'corrective surgery.

With reference to the marriage act, there is a bill before parliament, to introduce a continuance, agreement, so married couples can stay in an existing marriage if they whish to do so,

There must be conditions, otherwise people could be changing their gender marker every other day.

Don't put too much faith in the European Human Rights Charter,  member countries have variations of a gender recognition act, for instance Italy and France a couple of other member states, you have to undergo a sterilisation procedure before you can obtain a gender change recognition certificate.   In my view that is contrary to various sections of the EHRC,enforced medical procedures.  but all the member states that have such an act have had their individual acts ratified by the Human rights commisioner in Strasbourg. which is rather conflicting. the commsion tends to let individual members countires manage their own acts only when there is an infringement of that countries act can you appeal to the commission. it would seem not if the act of that country conflicts with the EHRC as is the case with France and Italy.

I'm in my 3rd year studying law, specialising in the UK gender recognition act and the relevant section of the EHRC ralating to trans issues.   My mentor is a proffesor at law, that helped to draft the original 2004 GRA for the UK.+

Just to prove the variations of individual Member states, trans related laws or Gender Recognition Acts  .

Southern Ireland has no GRA.

Various others states, insist that Trans women must be steralised before they can be officially recognised in their new gender.

Some states insist that applicants for recognition must undergo Gender reasignment surgery, so to claim that the EHRC is all encompacing is a misnomer, and relies upon each individual country member following their own laws.

http://tgeu.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Trans-map-Side_A_Map-2015.pdf

2014 There were 734 cases refered back to appelants countries to conform to that countries, lawful requirements.

This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at June 6, 2015 7:49 PM BST
      June 6, 2015 5:05 PM BST
  • Andie

GIRES is a trans related charity organisation, who push for repeals and changes in the law a very worthwhile organisation, but they do not make the laws. a lot of what they post is desires, to government that existing laws be ammended or clarified.    

Your posts are somewhat contradictory,  you posted '' what I never realised is that you can also change your title as.well, to anything you choose as long as it dosent represent qualification’s.'' X

Then further down you post been there and done that?

As for ticking boxes female or male, if your a serious person who is transitioning, regard yourself as female, your entitled to, its your right under the act to tick the box female.   Do not confuse changing your name with changing your gender marker, You can change you name as often as you want, each time adding the previous name and the new name, that is a basic right of anyone under UK law, regardless of the gender recognition act, change of gender marker, which even without a GRC your entitled to do, but when you change your gender marker with DWP, NH records and the passport office, you undertake that the change is permanant, ipso facto your a person who intends to remain in your new gender.

This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at June 6, 2015 10:46 PM BST
      June 6, 2015 7:44 PM BST
  • Thanks.Christine, it's so easy to get lost in all this I'm just trying to get to know my rights. I'm not the brightest of people and have already come out as a. transgendered woman. I am a touch sensitive , I know, but sometimes I don't feel welcome in this forum.
    Can you suggest some reading that will improve my knowledge of.my rights that is accessable for.a simple woman like me to.read. And could you suggest publications that will help my employer?

Really confused as to what your saying about gender markers. You seem to.be saying that.I can mark my passport application as.being female. That's great news if it.it's true! This post was edited by Andie Priscilla Swainson at June 7, 2015 11:44 AM BST
      June 7, 2015 11:40 AM BST
  • Awe Hugs Andie, yes you can change your gender marker on your passport, idealy get a letter from your doctor, not necessary if you have already changed the gender marker on your deed poll, I have written letters for people who have been having difficulties with authorities over changing their gender status, a couple have recieved apologies and a lot of groveling lol, with the threat of legal action.   With medical records, you just give your doctor a written request. thats then forwarded on to the central records office,

People are most welcome here, people like you, I personally don't need anything from this site, I am just here to help people like me and you that went through confusion at the begining and help people avoid some of the mistakes I made.

If you look at some of my other threads in this forum. passports etc. you will get some idea how to go about things. as I said above, some Government bodies will comply with the requirements of the act on the understanding that a gender change is permanant in line with the requiremenys of the GRA, so basically although its not your written promise you are making an undertaking the the change is permanent.

typical example of a problem, sorted   http://gendersociety.com/forums/topic/9200/home-page-item-saved

http://gendersociety.com/forums/topic/9266/gs-member-having-a-hard-time-wit

if you need to know anything specific just ask

loadsa love Cristine

This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at June 26, 2015 3:08 PM BST
      June 7, 2015 1:27 PM BST
  • A Deed Poll for a change of name contains three declarations and by executing the Deed Poll (signing, dating and having your signing witnessed) you are legally committing yourself to:

Abandoning the use of your former name;
    Using your new name only at all times;
    Requiring all persons to address you by your new name only and most important to use/address you by any revised gender marker.

Changing records
    The change of name and gender on all records is a central part of the
    gender reassignment process. This will include for example council tax,
    benefits, voter registration or housing records.
    Research for the Equalities Review found that many trans people
    experienced difficulties when requesting changes of details on records.
    Many authorities have no set procedure for making changes and/or
    staff lack the appropriate knowledge regarding what changes can
    lawfully be made.

Good practice is for public authorities to change name, title and gender
    on first request from a service user who simply provides a formal change
    of name document such as a deed poll or a statutory declaration.
    Trans service users do not have to present any evidence of any
    medical treatment nor a Gender Recognition Certificate to request
    for this to be done.

The original thread which goes on to explain the history of deed polls. some other trivia, which some people might find interesting             http://gendersociety.com/forums/topic/7656/-/view/post_id/51617

This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at June 26, 2015 3:10 PM BST
      June 7, 2015 1:41 PM BST
  • 3.5 Passports

The Passports Act 2008, section 11, offers an important avenue for recognition of the acquired gender of a transsexual person.  For this purpose, a person who is transsexual may seek a passport in their new name and have their new sex entered therein.  This does not confer any right or entitlement not connected with the purposes of the Passports Act. For instance, it would not alter the legal gender of the person for the purpose of marriage law or entitle one to a reissued birth certificate noting the acquired gender. which is a consideration for The Gender Recognition Panel.

You have to read and have knowledge of all the associated and relevant acts that are applicable and linked to the GRA. an ammendment to the EHRC does not overide these other acts until those actual acts are also ammended or revised.

This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at June 9, 2015 11:46 AM BST
      June 7, 2015 2:10 PM BST