Transitioning without Hormones

• June 6, 2015 2:20 AM BST
    Can I even do it I wonder? Since joining a few.forums I've been bombarded with offers of help and websites to get prescription drugs without a perscription. Everyone seems to have the correct plan of what to.take. I ain't doing it like that. I want so.much to change my body but I have to do.this right even if it takes around 18mths-2yrs from referral to being prescribed hormones. Perhaps that figure is exaggerated I.hope it is. Doing so well, then everything hurts again, bound to.the.maleness
    • 1652 posts
    June 6, 2015 2:29 AM BST

It shouldn't take 2 years. It was 3 months after my first gender clinic appointment when I was officially prescribed hormones.

Oestrogen really helped to take my angst away.

xx

This post was edited by Lucy Diamond at June 6, 2015 3:27 AM BST
  • June 6, 2015 2:40 AM BST
    Look how long it's going.to.take.to.get an initial appointment once I'm refered. I'm currently waiting for a.pyshco-sexual consultant to see me. That appointment could be 3 to.4 weeks.away. Let alone starting this ball rolling....
    http://uktrans.info/waitingtimes

I'm just going to have to be.stronger, surprised I.Still have any tears left. I.do hope your right and.It's sooner. It is not the be all and.end.all of transitioning, I know. I.just long for.the end.of feeling so disgusted by my own body. Sorry if.I'm a.Bit ratty tonight Lucy X
    This post was edited by Andie Priscilla Swainson at June 6, 2015 2:47 AM BST
    • 146 posts
    June 6, 2015 5:55 AM BST
    hi Referals are taking a long time.I spoke to my GP and it may be as long as a year in UK on NHS now.Lucy is right hormones do reduce the angst.One option to consider if normal referral route is log jammed is to go private in uk.yes it costs, .and it may still be a month or 2 .as they have waiting times also.Overall make sure you build a support team and contacts around you to progress your transition.
  • June 6, 2015 10:20 AM BST
    Thanks Donna, going private is probably going to take me a year, I just don't have any money. I've been off work for nearly 3 months without any sick pay :: ( I can pay my bills and keep a roof over me. I'm just going to have to keep a hold. I've got a wonderful support network. Not everyone has stayed since I've been public about being a woman in a man's body but immediate family have and I get a hug from my Mum everyday! It's hard to explain to them sometimes but alot of people care deeply about me. I feel awful because they're with me helping but I'm still falling to tears. I guess I've done the worse already, 40 years to find the will to fight the shame, guilt and confusion. Trying to see it like that, even two years is nothing compared to that. I know I'm on the right path and I will keep going forward. The more I have been open with people, the more desperate I feel. I just want to get on with my life. I'm trying hard to keep positive. X
  • June 6, 2015 2:52 PM BST
    I have had a look at the current NHS protocols, I'll put them up shortly. I do not have to be refered to a pyshco-sexual consultant to get a referral. That is outmoded practice and no longer relevant. I can select which Gender Clinic I wish to attend, so I can pick the shortest waiting list tooit is looking brighter. I'm still doubting it will be less than 18 months from here, based on the statistics I posted earlier. Staying strongX