Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » UK Transgender Law » Gender markers and insurance companies

Gender markers and insurance companies

Tags : None
  • Where do I stand on things like car insurance. Having changed my title to Miss and living in role, Can I take out insurance through someone iike Diamond for example who only cater for women?
      June 14, 2015 6:58 PM BST
  • Yes, as long as you have your revised driving licence,    One point, if you have any previous convictions or points on your licence, they will be carried forward under your new name and gender.    Advantage of the confidentiality clause, DVLA is not allowed to pass on your personal history.   But shop around for quotes for insurance I found that companies that cater for women, are not always the cheapest.    As far as I know you can carry forward any no claims bonus you have acumulated, did'nt apply to me, by the time I passed my test I did'nt have any acrued bonus to claim.   Not sure if you are entitled to drive with new name on driving licence and old name on your insurance policy.   Don't forget to transfer, title and DVLA registration of keeper as well.

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
      June 14, 2015 8:30 PM BST
  • ♥ Thanks
    As it happens I've never applied for a driving licence and it's only now I'm out that I feel confident enough to want to learn to drive. So it should be fairly simple paperwork X
      June 14, 2015 8:34 PM BST
  • Yes you can take out car insurance specifially for women. As Cristine said it might not be cheaper, though I realise that's probably not why you're asking. Women's car insurance did used to be slightly cheaper as they are statistically the safer drivers, but from the end of 2012 gender was no longer allowed to be taken into account when calulating premiums; the Gender Equality Act being a double-edged sword in that respect!

Now you have assumed the female role you should be able to do most things and be accepted in that role, there may be exceptions but for ID related matters you are officially female and must be recognised as such.

Bear in mind that you do not yet have your Gender Recognition Certificate, and as such are not "legally" female. Hence the use of my terminology of "officially" female vs. "legally" female.

In case that's got you worried, don't be, I don't have my GRC yet either, and I have never encountered any problems. In fact I'm unsure in this changing gender climate how necessary it really is. Perhaps Cristine may know of any specific instances where it is absolutely necessary to be "legal" and in posession of a GRC.

I feel it's important to stress, now you have changed your name and title, you must get on with notifying everyone, and ensure that you are only referred to by your new name. Banks, utilities and othe accounts should be top priority, as well as passport if you have one. And if and when you apply for a provisional driving licence you can do that in your new name and gender too. 

Your deed poll is proof absolute of your change of identity, and you'll need this to change the records of any institution you are already registered with, but to prove who you are to anyone new a deed poll would have to accompanied by some former ID. So you need a driving licence/passport/utility bill in your new name and this will become your "standalone" official ID.

So Andie, have you begun the process of notifying everyone who has your name on record?

xx

June 15, 2015 12:35 PM BST
  • Thanks Lucy I have. Bit worried about changing my name at the bank, as I have little Id. I.don't drive, passport.is a year or two expired, none of the household bills are in my name but I've updated work, doctors, NHS, tax, social security, electoral role, and my martial arts membership and accompanying insurance. I've deleted my old face book account and other social media and stopped using my old email account in place of one in my new name. Just PayPal, mobile phone and credit card. I will be applying for a new driving license and a new passport, in my new name and gender as you suggest. I also.need to update my membership with British cycling . I'm a bit bogged down though with all that's uncertain with work and the doctors. I've got an appointment tommorow for the doctors which I've made to find out where I am with them and to get myself signed back as fit to work. And I have support from an advocacy agency with work...plenty of support but it's all weighing on my mind today. Dad's being a bit unkind too but he's still speaking to me, so I guess that's something. Wobbly day :/ ♥ Xxxxx
      June 15, 2015 12:50 PM BST
  • If you already have an account with someone, for example your bank, your deed poll should be all you need to produce for them to change the name and title on your records. Just send in the orginal deed poll with a covering letter explaining that your name has been changed from (former name) to Miss Andie Priscilla Swainson, and ask that they change your records accordingly. Always ask them to return the deed poll!

I've found that utility bills are useful as they are often requested as combined proof of ID and address, but since the household bills are not in your name you need to find alternatives. An NHS medical card may suffice, I'm not sure. I'd recommend you apply for that driving licence asap!

Payslips in your new name will often suffice for ID purposes, so that's good. Bank statements are often accpeted too, so get on to them soon.

Basically anyone you can think of that uses your old name for official purposes needs to see your deed poll and be instructed to change their records.

xx

June 15, 2015 1:11 PM BST
  • A Gender recognition Certificate is needed to be recognised in law as female in regards to the Marriage Act, and to qualify for womens rights regarding  pensions,   Ammendment to birth certificate.   as far as I am aware, not a major worry,   but a death certificate is related to your birth certificate, so you could spend the rest of your long life living to all intent and purpose as a female and still be officially buried as a man.  

Other considerations, are council tax, voters register,   You said in the other thread that you have already done your NI number reference DWP, that would indirectly relate to your NH number and affect any renumeration you would be entitled to, tax code, sick pay. all these entitlements will be automatically credited to your new name, new gender accounts.

Gas, Bills, Electricity. everything, it's a bit of a downer to still recieve bills, addressed ''Dear Sir''   If your passport was still valid the change as far as I am aware is still free. 

June 15, 2015 2:09 PM BST
  • Motor insurance is generally still cheaper for women, its just companies can no longer to be selective in their advertising.

Women tend to do a lot less mileage,   I have a Renault Clio from new in 2008 its only done 7,000 miles.

June 15, 2015 4:49 PM BST
  • If they're discriminating, albeit in our favour, it's technically against the law isn't it?

Mind you, Saga gave me the cheapest quote, is that ageist?

Your mileage is even better than mine Cris, I've done 8,000 in 4 years.

But I do live out in the country...

xx

June 15, 2015 4:58 PM BST
  • I went to the bank to sort that one and the credit card. More fun in person... Lol my opening line was Hi Im an extra bit of sunshine for your day... Lol really nice staff. Cycled there too. My first time walking through the city centre since I've been out.
    The rest I've posted, except British Cycling which I will do in the morning.
    Thanks Xxxx
      June 15, 2015 5:28 PM BST
  • Nice one, Andie.

If you walk in with that attitude, with a smile on your face, you really will brighten people's day.

Thank you for being a little ray of sunshine!

xx

Smile

June 15, 2015 5:42 PM BST
  • No. Lucy its not discrimination,  its all based on statistics,  risk assesment, averages etc.  Tongue out

June 15, 2015 7:19 PM BST
  • OK, the original post throws up an interesting point then; change your gender and you are instantly considered a safer driver and may potentially benefit financially.

Of course your wages will be lower and you will have to do the ironing and look after the kids...

xx

June 15, 2015 7:30 PM BST
  • I've been questioned by my martial arts instructor, as we each have individual insurance taken out for us. He asked if I should be recorded as male/female. I said female but what do I say, other than bye, should the insurance company not accept this? Just being prepared!
      July 1, 2015 4:59 PM BST