Difficult employer

Tags : None
  • I'm still fighting for my nursery job back and feeling like I've lost. I guess I'll just have to accept that my coming out as trans is ending my career with children :(
      July 1, 2015 5:02 PM BST
  • Hi Andie

I don't know your situation but your post appears somewhat sad. It sounds to me that you really want your job working with kids. I hope it works out for you, I guess its a matter of "pick your battles" and if this is one you feel strongly about then I encourage you to keep trying. Good luck with it

Sarah T

This post was edited by Elizabeth Tokes at July 1, 2015 10:54 PM BST
      July 1, 2015 10:53 PM BST
  • http://mic.com/articles/30981/lucy-meadows-a-trans-english-schoolteacher-is-dead-of-apparent-suicide-after-media-harassment

In one of your posts you said that your employers were accepting

One must be careful, some parents are so ignorant, and this particular columnist would jump at the chance of ruining the rest of your life, wrong I know.

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
      July 1, 2015 11:07 PM BST
  • Thankyou Sarah,
    I'm venting frustration I guess. I was off ill with depression and suicidal feelings. I have addressed all of this through counciling and during this time I came out as identifying as a woman, this all started nearly four months ago but have been fit for work for the last six weeks but my employer is refusing to allow me to return to work. Up until this I had a good record at work and have been quoted as being the most popular staff member with the children and parents. I actualy get on with the team, it's just the management who are creating obstacles to prevent my return. I've been there 10 years and now she's questioning my suitability to work with children and that feels horrid. I have another job in the same building, where I have had a huge welcome in returning. Trying to stay positive but it's dragging on now and will soon be the end of term and I'm feeling sad that I will not get the chance to say goodbye to children who are moving on to high school x
      July 1, 2015 11:25 PM BST
  • Oh Cristine

I just read that article, and the piece written about the teach.... I am not going to use that"reporters" name as that may in some way validate the bigoted creep. Sitting in his ivory castle casting down ignorant judgements, a poorly researched piece of bigotry at best. It makes me want to scream at these people to have an honest look at their own lives and honestly see what they really are and how many people the hurt deeply. Maybe its the self assured arrogance of the article that got me going...I'll just jump down of this soap box before I break a heel Cool

Sarah T

This post was edited by Elizabeth Tokes at July 1, 2015 11:29 PM BST
      July 1, 2015 11:27 PM BST
  • Cristine, Shye said:

http://mic.com/articles/30981/lucy-meadows-a-trans-english-schoolteacher-is-dead-of-apparent-suicide-after-media-harassment

In one of your posts you said that your employers were accepting

One must be careful, some parents are so ignorant, and this particular columnist would jump at the chance of ruining the rest of your life, wrong I know.

That's right Christine, I have two employers, one who is very accepting and where I'm back working, sadly the other is still causing me problems. Just to be clear, I was not in hospital or anything and although I had suicidal feelings I was not acting on them in any way other than asking for help through counciling. x
      July 1, 2015 11:31 PM BST
  • Andie Priscilla Swainson said:
    " I've been there 10 years and now she's questioning my suitability to work with children and that feels horrid."
    This is horrid, the implication, is that you are not who you say you are, but some kind of freakish paedophile, its a typical view of someone who claims to understand but doesn't. For there to be any suggestion of impropriety on your behalf I find terribly ignorant and offensive. You have a perfect right to feel the way you do. Kids handle this situation far better than Adults because they are not yet full "programmed" like adults. I can't imagine that after the first week or two they would forget sbout it.

Sarah T
      July 1, 2015 11:39 PM BST
  • What I was attempting to say was, when it comes to involvement with children, it can lead to an adverse reaction by parents, the link was an example of how bad things can get, not that you might commit suicide.

July 1, 2015 11:40 PM BST
  • Agree with you whole heartedly :)

July 2, 2015 12:15 AM BST
  • This raises a quandry, especially from a legal point of view,  what advice would I give?   Swallow it and move on, or do what is legally right and sue for breach of human rights, make a name for myself and make a loada money? on the basis of you worked there for 10 years and your integrity has never been in question, the fact you are changing gender would not alter that.  You have rights! and a right to privacy, most of the case histories I have read with instances like this, there has been  no succesful outcome.   Whilst I would not suggest your imediate employers are bigoted or would regard you unfavourably, they might be forced to abandon their own prinicples and bow to external pressures.   The last thing a person undergoing transition needs is the type of exposure that would probably destroy you.  Discrimination is so hard to prove.   Winning is not always tinged with ensuing happiness and tranquility,  

I would resist the temptation to make a name for myself, see what you could get in the way of an out of court settlement and get on with your life.

August 14, 2015 7:08 PM BST
  • Reading back on this thread, I am wondering about the outcome.

August 14, 2018 2:22 PM BST