The lost and found library card

• September 4, 2004 9:34 AM BST
    Last week I noticed that my library card was gone from my wallet. First I thought okay, I get a new one anyway when my legal sex changes, and that is SOON. But then I came to the idea of someone lending expensive books on my card and letting me pay for them after they are not returned. So I went to my nearby library and asked what should I do, cause I have lost my card. The lady said she can give me a new one right away. She typed my id-code into her computer and said my card had been found in the Helsinki main library. Oh wonderful, I said, I go and get it there. And so I did. In both libraries I had to use much of my voice and I think I passed just fine. Yet I was automatically outed because of the end of my id-code, which tells if you are male or female. In none of the libraries I found any special reaction..no special looks, nothing. Maybe they just left the id-code kind of "unnoticed" when they had an obvious woman in front of them, who had a female name in her passport. Must be that way...

Laura