Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » General Forum » Transexual colleagues

Transexual colleagues

Tags : None
  • Hello

At my place of work there are approximately 300 people, with I guess a 60:40 male to female ratio. Of which I guess twenty may be gay, I think that one is a ftm transexual and within the last month a new colleague - lets call him Mr X. has joined who may well be a mtf transexual.

Why do I say may well be? Well Mr X. is certainly transgendered because he is brave enough to wear strongly coloured nail varnish upon carefully manicured fingers, has neatly maintained brows, no body hair - as far as I can tell (!) and a clear line in androgonous clothing. I think, from watching a little from the corner of my eye that he may have commenced HRT.

This is all very covert, and reads like I'm a nosey, good-for-nothing I know. I have two initial points. Firstly, I am proud of my employer and colleagues for their evident focus upon Mr X's professional abilities and the place that they have provided for this person with our office. I hope Mr X is received well and entirely supported by the staff, I'm certain that will be the case. Secondly, I'd love to get to know my new colleague. I would though find it impossible not to both enquire (supportively) and express knowledge of the life experiences that he is or may be going through. This would 'out' me in the workspace unless Mr X was absolutely discrete.

If you know of a transexual colleague is it right to bond and form allegencies or does this define you as a sub-culture and run counter to the desire to 'pass' unseen?

Thoughts welcomed. I also look forward to writing in the future of my discussions with Ms X. once I'm absolutely certain of this person's condition, and of a workplace that was warm and open-minded during a colleagues transition. That would be a great story.

Rachel

a girl at heart and a proper person too
      September 12, 2015 12:22 PM BST
  • Make sure you have your colleague's permission to write down and print what you learn (this information may be given to you in confidentiality). If you do not, things may get ugly.

Hope all is well,

Gerri Kay 

September 12, 2015 12:51 PM BST
  • What an excellent article eloquently put,  I recently started working part time as a research assistant in chambers, funny how we first notice, the odd ones out, the manish looking lesbian and the effeminate gay.   A couple of people have enquired how difficult I have found it in previous working enviroments and social encounters..   So far people have been very considerate, probably sometimes overly sympathetic and patronising.  So far respecting my expertise in my chosen field.   So far so good.

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
      September 12, 2015 12:54 PM BST