How can I remove facial hair effectively?

• 10 posts
    December 13, 2015 3:34 PM GMT

Hi Caroline, I already asked you in a different thread about why depilatory creams don't work on facial hair and I understand from your reply that it's because facial hair is different from other types of body hair.

So, what then, would you suggest is the best way to remove facial hair, permanently is possible?

Thanks,

April

• 9 posts
    December 14, 2015 7:08 AM GMT
    Morning April, firstly I apologise for a typo in my previous response auto check keeps changing it - should read anagen not anlagen.

Ok the only effective way of removing facial hair long term is with laser as the target is the hair follicle which is destroyed as the laser light converts to heat. Hormone influences can prolong treatment in certain cases but this is the only effective treatment. It usual to need 8 treatments for facial hair every four weeks. As the treatments progress the intervals will be less frequent and the hairs will become finer until the treatment course is completed. It's usual to achieve at least an 80% reduction of facial hair. This would mean you are good to go out without having to plan hair removal in advance and no tell tale stuble look and feel.

The NHS gender clinic use the Ellipse IPL laser system which ladygreys aesthetics uses.

Be happy to discuss in more detail but hope this shows you what's possible with laser treatment. I can evidence its effectiveness as I have had the treatments going back years and am still amazed at the results I never have to think about planning a night out my legs have been hair free for years further to ellipse laser treatment.
    • 9 posts
    December 14, 2015 1:50 PM GMT
    Hi April, if you have time and would like to see more evidence of the longevity of ellipse IPL laser hair removal there are some scientific papers going back 10 years and clinical trials documenting the safety and effectiveness of the treatment. www.ellipse.com
    • 9 posts
    December 14, 2015 1:59 PM GMT
    One last tip. The winter period is the best time to start a course of IPL laser hair removal treatments because the light is attracted to the melanin you need to have had no major sun exposure for 30 days before treatment so that the laser doesn't target the pigmentation/melanin (tan) but targets the pigment in the hair follicle (root).
    • 2017 posts
    March 9, 2016 3:01 PM GMT

It's important to note as well that not all lasers can target certain types of hair or are suitable for all skin types. A test patch should be made by the consultant beforehand to assess your skin and hair. Diode lasers are generally the best as they have a wider range of hair types that can be affected. 

Electrolysis is an alternative but it is slow as each individual hair is targeted. If you have any grey, this is better than laser and if you have a stubburn area such as the upper lip, electrolysis may be a more effective option. 

Both laser and electrolysis are painful and expensive, and the you will need several treatments to achieve results. That said, it is so worth it.