Questions.

Tags : None
  • Lot of news lately about heavy truck convoys, up to 10 trucks, but only one driver in the front truck, soon to start on special sections of the UK motorways, driverless cars,

Trucks, what happent if 10 lorries, going through London, the first two lorries get through then the lights change to red, do the other lorries just follow on regardless? what happens if the signal between lorries is interupted, do they all just stop, or do they just wander of on their own?

Cars does one need a licence for a driverless car?

Who gets the fine for a driverless car that goes in the bus lane?

Who gets the parking ticket?

see where I'm going with this, from a legal point of view.   Can someone be banned for dangerous driving, if a driverless car exceeds a speed limit., can you be drunk in charge of a driverless car?

Anymore ideas, sensible answers only please

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
      March 12, 2016 9:16 PM GMT
  • As a rule, I love gadgets and new tech but the idea of driverless vehicles worries me greatly. There are simply too many variables to go wrong with it and somebody is going to get killed sooner or later. It's a great idea in principle, but I just don't think the infrastructure and technology is quite there yet. 

Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      March 18, 2016 7:27 PM GMT
  • The good things about them is they indicate , they slow down and stop at junctions , they do not drink alcohol or take drugs , they do not swear at other drivers or suddenly stop to look at women in short skirts.

If they programed them to do the above then they have nailed it , they have created an average human driver. xx

June 17, 2016 11:06 PM BST
  • Carrying on from your questions Cris;

Buying the driverless car you would still be the registered owner so parking fines would go to you unless the car required a fingerprint or something to confirm who was using the car at the time.

I have a couple of questions too;

Would it need to be insured, considering you will not be physically driving it?

Is it exempt from road tax?

Would you need to sit in a front seat for the car to complete its journey? If this is a no, then I would pay for a dvd player & hello no more boring journeys....

Not to borrow the strength of another, nor to rely on one's own strength; to cut off past and future thoughts, and not to live within the everyday mind... then the Great Way is right before your eyes. - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
    This post was edited by Matt 'Charlie' Enigma at June 20, 2016 8:56 PM BST
      June 20, 2016 8:55 PM BST
  • A driverless car (sometimes called a self-driving car, an automated car or an autonomous vehicle) is a robotic vehicle that is designed to travel between destinations without a human operator. To qualify as fully autonomous, a vehicle must be able to navigate without human intervention to a predetermined destination over roads that have not been adapted for its use.

The “driver” sets a destination. The car’s software calculates a route and starts the car on its way.
    A rotating, roof-mounted LIDAR (Light Detection and Ranging - a technology similar to radar) sensor monitors a 60-meter range around the car and creates a dynamic 3-D map of the car’s current environment.
    A sensor on the left rear wheel monitors sideways movement to detect the car’s position relative to the 3-D map.
    Radar systems in the front and rear bumpers calculate distances to obstacles.
    Artificial intelligence (AI) software in the car is connected to all the sensors and has input from Google Street View and video cameras inside the car.
    The AI simulates human perceptual and decision-making processes and controls actions in driver-control systems such as steering and brakes.

The car’s software consults Google Maps for advance notice of things like landmarks and traffic signs and lights.
    An override function is available to allow a human to take control of the vehicle.

Proponents of systems based on driverless cars say they would eliminate accidents caused by driver error, which is currently the cause of almost all traffic accidents. Furthermore, the greater precision of an automatic system could improve traffic flow, dramatically increase highway capacity and reduce or eliminate traffic jams. Finally, the systems would allow commuters to do other things while traveling, such as working, reading or sleeping.

Sleeping, could you sleep, knowing the car was driving itself, so now who is responsable for speeding tickets, bus lane infringements, We all know sometimes people who follow google maps end up in the middle of farm tracks, etc.

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
    This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at June 20, 2016 9:31 PM BST
      June 20, 2016 9:29 PM BST
  • If it does not shout out nice arse when it passes me then it is Nowhere near human :)

June 20, 2016 9:55 PM BST