What do we do about the death of YIM?

• 2573 posts
    July 3, 2016 9:25 PM BST

Many years ago, when I joined Trannyweb, I was directed to Yahoo Instant Messenger as the commonly used TW chat app.  I have continued to use it for Wendy ever since and it is my default TG life chat.  It has been defective for a long time and will offictially die on the 5th of August, I believe.  I have carried my contact list over to Trillian, but that seems to lack a lot of features that YIM had.  Has there been any discussion/concensus on GS for a replacement default chat app?   This comes at a particularly bad time since Win 10 is upon us, like an anti-Crimbo present, causing many functional parts of Win 7 to stop working correctly while Win 10 spies heavily on most everything on our computers.  Do not do a default install, set your privacy settings the hard way for win 10.  If you read carefully win 10 takes permission to spy/steal/distribute all of your computer activity/files on or offline.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2015/08/windows_10_privacy_problems_here_s_how_bad_they_are_and_how_to_plug_them.html

The problems start with Microsoft’s ominous privacy policy, which is now included in the Windows 10 end-user license agreement so that it applies to everything you do on a Windows PC, not just online.

I want to focus this thread on chat applications, not win 10, but felt compelled to warn you all because of the horrendous privacy issues M$ has shoved down our throats and been deceptive about it.  Even finding the new locaitons where you can change things complicates things further.

This post was edited by wendy larsen at July 3, 2016 9:30 PM BST
    • 746 posts
    July 4, 2016 12:13 AM BST

I have been a Mac user since the 80s...never have, nor ever will own a Windows OS....

Nice to "see" you again girl!!  xoxo

• July 4, 2016 12:41 AM BST

This is simple Bill Gates, can Kiss my big White Ass & 3rd party software is your friend, especially if you want to be safe from Micro$hit's nagware nonsense it went to trying to force you to upgrade to the worst OS which takes at least 10+ hours of work to get a usable system that will not report everything you do...

As to the YIM issue, I suspect that Yahoo itself is having a few problems itself and may be on its last legs hence why YIM is going to close.

• 2573 posts
    July 9, 2016 3:31 AM BST

TRILLIAN has more than is obvious at first.  some things are kind of hidden.  right clicking in the text entry box will give options that are on toolbars in YIM.   You can even turn the text entry box into a drawing box.   However  it seems you have to enter your own sound files to make some audibles work.  Hard to get Preferences for chat fonts to stick

• 2573 posts
    September 26, 2016 10:56 AM BST

A few people have gone to TRILLIAN but it is far from perfect. as I said before it has "hidden" assets so finding a HELP for it may make it more usable.   I am kind of disappointed that more people have not participated in this thread.  I have had all my TG contacts on YIM since joining Trannyweb and hate the idea of losing contact.

• November 27, 2023 4:52 AM GMT
    I introduced you to Yahoo instant messenger in 2004 :> Almost 20 years ago now. I joined the site just now, to see if you were still around (I don't know if you are). I hope that you're well!

Signed,
    "The Frisco Kid"
    Claudia
    • 2127 posts
    December 2, 2023 11:19 AM GMT
    Lovely to hear from you again. The world turns though and things change, especially in IT.  It's amazing just how much has changed since the old Trannyweb days. I can't keep up.

Hugs,

Katie  x