My first book

Tags : None
  • I'm currently working on my first book on wattpad and am hoping it can and will be published one day. I've mentioned on here before that I'll be writing an LGBT story, but this one isn't it. I want the LGBT story to be the best it can be so I'm not quite ready for that I'm afraid. I did want to share my first story's plot and see what people think of it. If there are any anime/manga lovers out there, this particular story is based on a few of those. (It is a novel though).

Title: Hero the Cat Cop

Blurb: Family tradition has forced nineteen year old Emerald Gem into a career she never wanted - the police force. To complicate matters, her partner isn't the nicest of sorts - a talking, sexist cat. Can this unlikely pair solve their differences and work together like real partners, or will it always end in disaster when the two are put together?

I wanted to share this here also because, like the LGBT story, it hits close to home with me in a lot of ways. I've grown up with a lot of sexist/misoginistic views that I've had to overcome. I've even had some people tell me I'm a transman because I've been taught being a girl is bad... 

Anyway, I hope you like the idea of this story. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. :)

July 5, 2016 1:42 AM BST
  • Story sounds interesting...go for it. I have published four books, so I can recommend self-publisher if you need it.

Good Luck 

Gerri Kay

July 5, 2016 1:37 PM BST
  • Gerri Kay- I'm glad to hear you think it sounds interesting so thanks! =) That's awesome that you've published four books! I wanted to try to get professionally published, but I know that's really hard to do so if I end up self-publishing I'll definitely let you know. Only have a couple chapters done so far, but this is my second time writing it because I made some beginner mistakes on the first draft. I can definitely tell that getting published is tough so I won't be surprised if I need to self-publish.

July 5, 2016 11:41 PM BST
  • Chances of getting picked up by a traditional publisher are basically nil. Self publishing is basically how most people get started in the business. If you pursue this route when you are done with your story, try Amazon's CreateSpace. They did my last book and were by far the best company I have used. Goggle CreateSpace and you can get the info.

Hope this is helpful.

Gerri Kay

July 6, 2016 12:56 AM BST
  • Gerri Kay - That does make sense since this will just be my first book I highly doubt I could get a traditional publisher, but was thinking it was worth trying. I will definitely check out CreateSpace. Thanks so much for the recommendation. I'm sure it will be very helpful. 

July 6, 2016 1:36 AM BST
  • I agree with Gerri, the blurb sounds interesting...and fun! Good luck, Kris!
      July 11, 2016 6:12 PM BST
  • Lovely GG Lisa - Glad to hear you like the sound of the blurb as well, Lisa. =) Thanks much for wishing me luck. Will need it as it is really competitive out there lol.

July 12, 2016 1:51 AM BST
  • Lovely GG Lisa - Didn't see a reply option on the photo so I'm replying here lol. Thanks much for the compliment on my photo! I'm definitely glad to hear it's an improvement compared to my last one.

July 13, 2016 12:57 AM BST
  • Hey Kris! I liked the creativity involved your idea for a unique story with some symbolism related to your own life's experiences. I also am a cat lover too with three kiddies, one of which is relatively wild but is so sweet when I come to her. I was wondering how far you got with your story and if you had either finished it already or have gone through with getting it published. After September, I am going to begin writing a script for a novel/series and try to create a franchise. Maybe we can establish a dialouge and trade some ideas. I am a wonderful writer, editor, and proofreader having obtaining a minor degree in freelance writing. Either way, I hope all is coming along well. Dana!!

July 27, 2016 1:47 AM BST
  • Hey Dana! Thanks much for the compliment! I am happy to hear you think my story idea is unique. I always like to describe it as a Beauty and the Beast tale with a few twists lol. Cats are definitely awesome and yours sound wonderful. I have one that currently needs to go on a diet after being so spoiled haha. As far as my story goes, this is my second attempt at writing it fully because my first try I made several beginner mistakes. I'm not sure how soon I'll be ready to publish (probably a bit far away still) but I do know I'm in desparate need of constructive criticism. My wattpad is on my profile and I'd definitely be open to helping each other out on our stories. I am very much a beginner at this, but I am enjoying it thus far. Thanks again for the offer and it's nice to meet another writer on here. =)

July 27, 2016 5:08 AM BST
  • Ah, Beauty and the Beast, huh? I like it! That’s such a classic tale with a very clear message. I used to read classic literature regularly a few years back when I was completing my writing program. I was inspired by Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein a lot even though I didn’t care for her writing style. She focused so much on the emotional content of the doctor and the creation which was wonderful, but just a little overwhelming and repetitive. My favorite stories were Sherlock and Monte Cristo though. I could talk about why forever. The content is great. Anyway, so can I access your Wattpad content freely without any trouble? I’d love to give any helpful criticism if I can! Anything you’d like me to pay any particularly attention at would seriously help me look out for anything that could be enhanced. Plus, explaining the beginner mistakes you referred to might be helpful too, but only if you wish as they might not be relevant if they were minor enough to be fixed without a hitch. When I was studying novel writing, there were two basically important concepts to keep in mind about writing and linking chapters. The first was to keep the story moving and interesting while, secondly, continually introducing new aspects of character development to prevent from creating one-dimensional characters. Jumping around in terms of the chronology of a story can be confusing too unless it is part of your writing style or if the flashbacks are clear enough. Tarantino often developed his stories in this way, and they were usually very successful.

I always had trouble writing a chapter plan or summary for a book because although I had a lot of ideas for story events or chapters, I couldn’t fill in certain gaps to bring one part of my story(ies) to the next. I was trying to practice this because I thought it could help me organize my thoughts. (but I had a detour and ended up in college for music; long story) I knew that I had a few good stories in my head, but I needed to develop a method for identifying the big idea chunks in a sequence so that I could break them down into smaller chunks like sentences, paragraphs, and chapters which is what I’m really good at! I excelled at taking small ideas and blowing them up into massive narratives or descriptive pieces especially if they were about things that I knew about. For example, I wanted to write a story about a character who was neutral in gender because I felt that I have lived through that (before identifying as transgender) and had so many personal experiences and references that I could use to expand upon the world in which that type of character lived, what they thought about him/herself, how he/she was treated differently by the public, and just generally how awkward of a position it is to live like that. The idea has developed into something else entirely, but because I’ve been in school, I haven’t had a chance to do anything with it yet. However, it spawned a second story concept that I am going to try to develop once I move from here in September.

I’ve also been curious to know a little bit more about your transgender perspectives and experiences. I read a few of your posts over time and have essentially concluded that we are both in disharmony in regard to our biologies. If I am intruding upon your privacy by opening this line of conversation, I apologize and will not badger you any further. No harm done, right? So, I hope to hear from you again soon! *hugs*

Dana!!

July 28, 2016 2:39 AM BST
  • Actually, I probably should've said this story is rather large and has about five main characters so the Beauty and the Beast part is only for two of those characters. Mainly the cat (beast) is sexist and mean to the wrong woman and she turns him into a cat. What's kind of funny is I have a character in the story named Beauty, but she isn't the female officer. I didn't realize how similar the story was to Beauty and the Beast until after I named the characters lol. I actually made the characters and stoy-line when I was fifteen (25 now) and wanted to animate it into a cartoon series, but after I took a few animation classes, I realized I just didn't have the patience to animate and preferred character creation and story-telling so I turned my career to writing. This also meant I had to get more into reading so the past few years I have been reading more instead of just watching movies. I will definitely check out the books you mentioned. I'm still trying to find my writing style, but people have told me I'm blunt and I've heard I still tell instead of show so that is one thing I still need to work on the most. You are more than welcome to look at my wattpad, but in order to comment it, I believe you have to make an account. (It is free). If you do get around to looking over it, I'd just like to be sure I'm keeping it interesting and have proper grammar. I have been told I use too many exclamtion points, but I've been more careful of that lately. My beginner mistake was basically saying "he said" or she said" after every dialougue line not knowing that it was redundant and I am trying to swtich perspectives correctly. Making a story with five main characters is going to be tough I hear as far as switching perspective goes, but I'm willing to re-write as much as I need to lol.

I never liked making outlines at first, but ever since I made one for my recent short story (I write short stories to practice perspective) I can't stop making them and made one for this story. I do agree that filling in gaps are hard and another thing I did was work so much on the "good guys" and their character development that I fear my villains are a little bland. I'm hoping I'm wrong and/or that having good "heroic" characters will make up for this. I really love your idea on making a story about a gender neutral character and would definitely read it. I don't know if you saw my post about an offensive character (you might have commented on it) but when I am a better writer, I definitely plan on making an LGBT story as well. The offensive character is an antagonist though, which I wasn't clear on at first when I posted. I really love making characters and story-lines based off things that I've gone through and it sounds like you do as well with the gender neutral character. I am sure I'll be interested in your second story as well in September so please keep me posted. =)

I actually have a Short Story that I shared trying to bring awareness to a couple conditions as well if you'd like to check that out. It has a character with Asperger's. It's nowhere near as planned out as Hero is, but I just had to write it anyway.  As far as my transgender perspectives and experiences, you may have seen that I come from a christian family and have come out to my mom fully, but not my dad. I've felt like a male in a female's body for almost my whole life, but I didn't really know what it was until middle school. That's when it became an issue, really. As a child, I actually would play with a doll, but I HAD to be the father doll or a male doll like ken. When the PC game The Sims became a thing, it felt like a real life saver for me because I couldn't be a "real man" but at least I could be one in a life simulation game and even have a family. Kind of rambling now lol. That's just some of what has gone on, I have questioned being bigender because there was one guy I was willing to stay a girl for, but then he came out of the closet AND told me he wouldn't date a trans, only pure men. =/ Made me hate being a girl all the more honestly because I'd see him post how gross girls are and stuff. I know everyone has their preference and that's not really what bothered me, what bothered me was that I never felt like a girl in the first place so I was pretty much angry at life/God for quite a few years. I will more than likely make my LGBT story based on that experience to be honest. Sorry, I basically wrote a book here lol.

July 28, 2016 4:32 AM BST
  • Hey guys, I added a few sentences to the blurb in hopes that it would improve it and make the book sound more interesting. Does it work? Please let me know because I'm trying to get more reads and someone told me my blurb is too short/needs more info. 

New Blurb: Family tradition has forced nineteen year old Emerald Gem into a career she never wanted - the police force. To complicate matters, her partner isn't the nicest of sorts - a talking, sexist cat. Can this unlikely pair solve their differences and work together like real partners, or will it always end in disaster when the two are put together? What happens when they meet a mysterious boy with a stutter who owns another talking cat? Will they be able to help bring justice to someone who has suffered a great family tragedy? With teamwork, perhaps they can.

July 31, 2016 5:52 AM BST
  • Hi All

I have always thought, that irrespective of  success with transition, the 'real elephant in the room' is a convincing 'back story' (for ourselves, and not to deceive/mislead others). Obviously it would be fantasy, but I would love to 'rewrite my autobiography'.  I have such a notion based on the 'lives of others', where I am a middle aged mom with two lovely twenty something daughters, and a caring husband.  However, you soon find your'other self' has had it tough!  As Pasty Kline sings, 'it's hard to be a woman'!  It's a starting point to help understand yourself!  Anyway it's a nice place to go, be it fiction or fantasy.  Our lives are never fully lived in real time, but rather the expectation of pleasant things to come!  It's great choosing names for everybody too!

Food for thought

Sally

This post was edited by Sally Scott at January 7, 2017 8:54 AM GMT
      January 6, 2017 9:04 AM GMT
  • All i can suggest is to key pushing the story forward...possibly outline it... and then rewrite, All authors rewrite.

Gerri Kay 

January 6, 2017 12:20 PM GMT
  • I agree with Gerri. I've had to re-write my story so many times but it's well worth it in the end. (Or at least that's what I like to believe). Starting a creative writing class in about a week or two and am pretty excited for it but I anticipate having to re-write even more as the instructor will probably have a lot of pointers/advice for me as a beginner writer. I keep being told my idea is "too complex" for a first book (just a little update) so am writing something a little more simple for the time being until I'm a better writer. This also means I have to postpone my LGBT story because I want it to be my very best work... Trying to be patient lol.

January 6, 2017 8:30 PM GMT
  • In regard to the method of writing, i.e., writing an outline first or not, too complex for a first story, etc., in Diana Gabaldon' s The Outlandish Companion, she give an interesting look at how she wrote a very complex first story without using any sort of outline and got a great publishing deal right away. Her own story sort of goes against the grain of every bit of logic the self-help writing books provide.

May 22, 2017 3:22 AM BST
  • Hello Kris - So far all sounds great and I agree with most here - the idea of using self publishing, like Create Space from Amazon is terrific, for example. I have 4 book published there and am designing a series of follow ups to them ( Note all are in my birth name unfortunately due to family and friend circumstances but one day that will change - though in the books I have hidden a few elements of the real me, a picture of my red heels for example ( lol ) and I declare they are indeed mine ) - my books are nonfictiion, but also I have some ideas for a fictional transgender female story and have the outline in development - like yourself I wish to be much further in transition before exploring this in depth. Another idea noted is the rewrite process - this is an absolute necessity. Like Da Vinci who continually worked on the Mona Lisa for years with many subtle changes, I have made changes to my first book - in fact one just last month and I consider it now the absolute masterpiece ( of course next year, who knows - lol ). Amazon is terrific because you have a wide audience - I have sold books in Europe, UK, and US alike. For your story, I love the Cat idea - I am definitely a cat girl and would be drawn to it instantly. Best of luck and keep creating - it helps me find myself too. hugs, Briana : )
      May 26, 2017 3:49 PM BST
  • Hello all, it's been quite a while since I was last on this website. I apologize for my absence, but I've been so busy with my first college class I've taken in a few years lol. I took a creative writing course in hopes of becoming a better writer and found someone who is sort of helping me out "mentoring" me. The Hero the Cat Cop story I'm still eager to write, but even my professor told me I should probably start with Short Stories and work my way up to such a novel. I must have heard this saying a dozen times: "You've gotta learn to crawl before you can walk." I've been hearing good things on my Short Stories that I've written up and one of them is actually based on something that happened between a friend and I... I really hope to publish it as my first book now. I've mentioned the story on here before, but the title is - Obsession. I've been told a good site to try for publishing is a site called Writer's Digest. I'm thinking of trying there, but I am also still considering the self-publishing. Honestly, right now I'm mostly catching up on my reading because since I started out as an animator, I've read maybe 2 books in my life haha. I'm learning quickly that reading is a good way to improve my writing and I avoided it like the plague at first, but finally got over my laziness and just got down to reading. Thanks so much for all your suggestions! If I'm successful at publishing Obsession I'll be sure to share on here since it's about LGBT and even touches a bit on BDD and the wrong reasons to transition. Thanks again for the replies!

May 26, 2017 4:04 PM BST
  • I'd make a new thread for this post, but I was thinking instead maybe I'd share a poem here to share what else I've been working on lately. I write a lot of poems about my characters from all of my stories, but this one is actually about me.

Myself

Every time I look in the mirror I feel disappointment.

I see a frail and unattractive feminine body.

When I imagine myself, my real self, I smile.

I see a muscular and proud man.

I was not prepared to see the truth

The truth that would meet me in my dreams that night.

It was two a.m. when I finally fell asleep.

Another day living in a body that was not my own.

I felt relief to be in my dreams. My escape from the real world.

I smile to myself and wish I could stay there forever.

It was at that moment I felt someone staring back at me.

Was it a boy? Man? 

He looked young so I couldn't tell his age.

He wore glasses and had acne filled skin.

He was almost as skinny as I was. Not a bit of muscle on him.

I felt sick with realization.

Realization that this boy was me.

As soon as I blinked, he was gone.

I awoke in a cold sweat.

Was that really the kind of boy I would be?

Unattractive, skinny, and weak?

The very opposite of my father.

Would I always live in my father's shadow?

May 26, 2017 4:16 PM BST

Hi Kris,

I am new to the forums and what with being somewhat confused where I belong (in every sense) and a bit shy, I didn't get round to introduce myself anywhere yet (my fickle internet connection doesn't help either), but I'd like to comment here as I am also a writer.

It is really difficult to launch into a long novel straight off (although it might work if you have the inspiration and are diligent enough - you need both, the inspiration and the hard work), and short stories or novellas are a good way to get started. They have their challenges too, mind, it can be difficult to find a balance between a snappy but satisfying plot and still giving enough space to the carachters so the reader can relate to them.

But it's a good format to play with.

Selfpublishing is the easy route to have your book out there, but not necessarily the route to selling it. It takes an amazing amount of marketing and networking to sell a book, and publishers do help with that (although not as much as they used to). It is immensely frustrating to submit your MS and being turned down again and again, not to mentin painful, but if ever you do get a yes, that's pure bliss (until the reviews come in, than it can revert to painful quite quick... but that's a risk you have to take).

If you do decide to selfpublish, before going to "press" (most selfpublishing is digital, these days), don't skimp on preparing your MS, with as thorough editing as you can afford (find editing partners, if you can't afford professional editing), proper formatting (the smashwords guide to formatting is pure gold) and a decent, professional looking cover. It all makes a huge difference.

I wanted to comment on your poem too, I so can relate to your feelings, although my own relationtip with my gender is a bit more smudgy and come and go than that. Still, I can relate. Years ago I did a series of paintings of an imaginary lover who was in fact, to be honest, my imaginary male self. In truth, i'd have to grow a foot (not to mention grow a beard and a few ther bits and pieces, lol) to look like him. But I do have the muscles at least, thanks to a lot of tough outdoor work :)

It's hard, hard, hard, to escape the shadow of your father/mother/family. I ran as far away from them as I could and yet when my demons come calling, I know that that where they come from. Still, I hope you find your way to freedom or at least some more serene frame of mind. Hugs.

May 30, 2017 5:21 PM BST
  • Hello Katia, thanks so much for the reply and insight. It's always good to hear from another writer. I can be extremely timid/shy as well due to my Asperger's Syndrome so I completely understand that. I would've loved to start my publishing journey with my novel but in all honesty I'm starting to realize people seem to be more interested in my Short Stories as with those I like to create characters who also have Asperger's and/or gender identity or some other trait that makes them unique. As I've started to read more, I've come to realize my main issue (or at least a big one) is setting my scenery. It's too much like my characters are just in a blank area, y'know? Or, when I do have a scene, I have trouble bringing it to life. I do believe reading is helping me out a bit with that luckily, though.

I honestly am horrible at advertising so that does worry/concern me a bit as far as if I went the self-publishing route. I'm mentally preparing myself to be turned down again and again, but I have to make a full manuscript first lol. I keep having to go back and re-write a lot of my stories. I think the only one I've ever had a complete manuscript of is a novella called Best Enemies. It still has a bit of editing needed, though as well.

I feel you on the imaginary lover thing and the identity troubles. I am so SO short so I feel so emasculated in this body for that reason alone, but I recently learned that Prince was my height... I guess that makes me feel a little better that I wasn't the only "man" who's 5'2". I'm working on getting muscle now finally, but it's taken me forever to get across to my mom how I feel. (She still can't call me her son). I won't rant on my family troubles, but a big thing that I've had to go through with this and my family is religion.

Thanks again for your advice on this. It all helps as I'm still very much a beginner with writing lol. So many ideas, but don't have many of them fully written out as of yet. I hope you enjoy your time here on this site and you find yourself as well. Hugs back.

May 30, 2017 7:53 PM BST

Hi Kris, interesting what you say about setting the scene. In a way, I have the opposite problem, I am good (obsessive actually) at worldbuilding, and good at fleshing out characters, but I am crap at "plotting". I am a hopeless "pantser" (I write by the seat of my pants ;)   ) so every story I write is a journey of discovery as much for me as it is for the readers (more, because they don't get to see all the dead ends and wrong turns). This can be maddening, but in the end I find it brings me to places (narratively and emotionally) that I had not anticipated, and it makes my writing that much more alive (and less formulaic). I wonder if it is really worth trying to "fix" your issue. Much theatre is played with hardly any backdrop or props. If the characters are well turned and the dialogue/action is really good you may get away with minimal scenery and actually do something in a unique style that fits your talents. You don't need necessarily a lot a props to tell a good story. I am not saying it is THE way to , but something to mull on between drafts :) Ideally, we should be good at anything, but we aren't, we are just human, so if you have to work your ass off, do it to be really good at what you are good at, rather than wasting lots energy to become moderately proficient at what does not come naturally to you. Well, at least that's my school of thought, but maybe I am just a slacker.   :)

There are tall girls and short boys... I find that being male is more about swagger than anything else, but then, I am not usually consciously trying to "pass" as male (although I often did and do, more or less involuntarily, and yes I am 5' 2'' too!). The first time I met my husband, until I started talking, he was not sure if I was a man or a woman. As a child and teenager everybody assumed I was my mother's son, until she introduced me as her daughter, which invariably raised eyebrows. Even now, at 40, if I muss my hair and wear jeans and a baggy sweater, I look just like a boy. Height and build have little to do with it ;) (my real trouble is the voice... I sound like Minnie Mouse). So don't feel so bad about your body. You will find a way to work with it. ;)

I hear you on the religious entanglements. I grew up in provincial Italy, of all places, the sorriest, stickiest, stinkiest pit of catholic medieval darkness you'll ever find in the western world. Shudder. Shudder, shudder, shudder!! Yaikes.

May 31, 2017 9:19 AM BST
  • Hello again Katia, that's actually pretty cool you have the opposite problem in my opinion haha. I do wonder/hope I can get away with minimal scenery because I do have fleshed out characters, but for the most part, that is a critique I get. "There's no setting in this story!" I've heard a few times lol. I think the reason I have trouble describing scenery is because of my Asperger's. (I hate to always blame my disorder) but I'm just always in my own world and not paying attention to the real world around me enough to be able to describe it in good detail lol. I've been told I can use this to my advantage by having my character's with Asperger's giving little description because it's credible to their character, but this only helps with those particular characters. I just finished reading a book called The Outsiders and the author brought their setting to life so well! It definitely felt like an actual place so I'm hoping a little bit of that talent rubbed off on me from reading it lol. I had to work way too hard with animating so I know what you mean lol. I mean, if I was still working on that, I probably wouldn't have a series out until I was fifty. Although writing is proving to be challenging in its own ways, I'd say it's a much better fit for me than animation although I still love animated series and feel like my Hero the Cat Cop series really would do best as such. My hope is that maybe someday an animator will be inspired by my book and make it into an animated series. (Probably just a dream, though lol). 

I wish I passed as a male easily heh. I mean, now that I've cut my hair it's a lot better, but I am still one of those people that need to take T shots, I think to actually pass. I have a feminine voice, too, and it tends to be a bit too quiet. I feel a bit better about being 5'2" now so thanks! For me, even though I never passed as a boy, I've always felt like I've been treated like one. For example - In school, I only had male bullies and my father always treated my as one of his "guy friends" unless of course, I was in trouble. Ugh, I just shared a chapter of my latest Short Story (needs editing) where the father character says something to his daughter about women sexually. The main character is based on me and my life so it's kind of like a memoir turned into a Short Story.

Sorry to hear that. I didn't have to deal with Catholic beliefs, but my parents and I used to attend a Baptist church. We stopped going after my parents divorced, but my parents were still pretty strict when it came to LGBT.

June 1, 2017 12:31 AM BST

Hola! Don't worry too much about your disorder, from what little I know of it, it seems to me that you are coping very well ;)

As for the 5'2'' issue... you know, one of the malest men I ever known was called Fabio and was my riding instructor when I was 20. He was a former professional jokey and he was hald a head shorter than me (an achievement, for anyone not a hobbit). He was not muscular either (although he had enough sinew to equip 3 average sized males). But for all that, boy oh boy, that guy HAD IT, if you get my drift, lol. Just because you are small, it's not as if there is less of you. It just gets more concentrated ;)

Perhaps the best exercise I can suggest if you want to work on your scenery skills is to make a habit of describing in written word places you visit. Have you ever written in cafes, malls, parks etc? Perhaps you should try. Sit writing somewhere new and make a point of observing and writing a paragraph or two about it. It's a bit like sketching from life, a very different process from drawing things from your own fantasy. Just an idea ;)

June 2, 2017 6:27 AM BST