Cogiati Test

Tags : None
  • I am sure some of you have heard of this test. I don't know how accurate it is but I completed it yesterday answering each question with total honesty. The resulting score said I was a male to female transsexual. I have known how I feel inside for a long time but it was nice to see it confirmed somewhat. It recommended I find a therapist which is the scary part. Actually speaking with someone about how I feel ...

Is that step really scary for you girls?!
      January 26, 2017 6:26 PM GMT
  • Hi Hayley

I started at this place where you are now about 2 years ago. I am now 8 months on HRT and negotiating going full time with a view to SRS some time in late 2018 or early 2019 The cogatai is OK but no where near a definitive diagnosis. it should not be used to do any more than explore how you feel for a start. I played it like a star wars game for awhile and realised none of it really matters. If you are here questioning your gender then you are going to be Trans...guess what...Cis people never question their gender...never ever really give it any thought at all...That sounds odd to me and I bet to you as well but they just don't. My 76 year old father said he never ever thought about it, My 46 year old brother said the first time he actually thought about his gender was when I came out to him...

Hayley being trans can really suck at times but there is also great joys to be had. Find yourself the best therapist you can afford and go talk to them. Do you dress, have you experimented do you want to? Have some fun if it is safe.

Hugs

Liz

January 27, 2017 1:27 AM GMT
  • Hi Hayley

Did I do the Cogiati Test? - Yes. Did the result mean anything? - Yes. Did it tell me anything I didn't already know (by then)? - No. Did that matter? - Not really.. Have I done it again to improve my score? - Of course! Do I always write like this!? - No, of course not.

The Cogiati is I feel, comparable to a building block or a member of a support group. It offers you a form of 'verifiable' qualification that gives you foundations, a basis to build upon and something to bounce off. It gives you confidence of a kind, the sort of confidence you need when you jump from a height, to overcome inertia. Being a member of somewhere like Gender Society is a significant building block too, adding a photo another, corresponding former associations another etc. I think that by building this wall or platform each time you take the next step, overcome that inertia you become increasingly more dynamic, a more powerful force.

A thought from an architect at breakfast. Too structured, a bit theoretical and from someone already thinking about work..

Keep testing yourself, be dynamic.

Rachel
    a girl at heart and a proper person too
    This post was edited by Rachel de Blanc at January 31, 2017 2:48 PM GMT
      January 27, 2017 7:29 AM GMT
  • This test is called the "Combined Gender Identity And Transsexuality Inventory", also known as the COGIATI. It was written in 1998 by Jennifer Diane Reitz, Whilst at the time was lorded as the self analytical solution to determing ones gender, when confused.    It is way out of date, there were insuficent consolidated results with evidence being soley based on the fact most of the questions, I think are worded favourably, auto sugestion.

People will see what they want to see. Those who swear to the test's accuracy are the ones who got the result they wanted.

Anne Lawrence states: "I think that both the COGIATI and the Moir-Jessel tests are little more than pseudo-scientific nonsense, and that anyone trying to figure out his or her gender identity issues would be well advised to ignore both."

The Bem Sex Role Inventory

The BSRI or Bem Sex Role Inventory is the product of Sandra Lipsitz Bem, who began researching sex roles since the early '70's. The Bem test indicates the degrees of absorption of cultural definitions of gender, as reflected in the user's personality.

Self-reporting by the test taker based on the above can influence the outcome.
    While Bem asserts that androgynous takers will score high on both scales, this may not be true for transsexuals. Many TS women are extraordinarily invested in culturally defined sex-appropriate behaviors, and a baseline has not been established for transsexuals.

The Moir-Jessel Brain Sex Test

The "brain sex" concept put forth by Moir and Jessel is far more troubling to me than the Bem Sex Role Inventory.

Description: The purpose of the Moir-Jessel Brain Sex Test is "to determine whether your brain functions within the normal range for a male or a female." This test gives two scores of which the participant selects the correct one for their sex. The interpretation of these scores, breaks the male and female scores each into three categories.

Males scoring less than 0 are "Extremely Masculine."
    Males scoring between 0 and 60 are "Normal Males."
    Males scoring greater than 60 are "Feminine Males."
    Females scoring less than 50 are "Masculine Female."
    Females scoring between 50 to 100 is "Normal Female."
    Females scoring greater than 100 is "Extremely Feminine."

Anne Lawrence states: "The book BRAIN SEX, from which the test is derived, is a sloppy piece of pop science, full of oversimplifications, unsupported inferences, and speculations presented as though they were facts." She adds, "The test has not been validated by actual samples of male and female subjects... [T]he test has never been validated with a sample of transsexuals, either."

I agree about the lack of scientific validity in this extremely controversial book. I would also add that science can be used, or misused, for social purposes. Valid observations can be used to draw absurd conclusions, like the concept of "social Darwinism" put forth by racists and proponents of eugenics.

Moir and Jessel's Brain Sex is to sexism what Murray and Herrnstein's The Bell Curve is to racism: a veneer of scientific methodology laid over an agenda that is sexist at its very core. I find the fact that this book is warmly embraced by many transgender women to be a highly troubling commentary on our community's attitude toward gender stereotypes.

To argue that social inequalities between the sexes is based on brain structure is simply misogyny draped in a labcoat.

I did a feature on it some times ago, but cannot now find what I posted on here..

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
    This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at December 7, 2020 1:23 PM GMT
      January 30, 2017 4:49 PM GMT
  • No further response What I was attempting to say the important thing is how you feel about yourself, not paying to much attention to what people are saying how you should feel to qualify.   One shoe does not fit everyone.

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
    This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at February 8, 2017 7:23 PM GMT
      February 8, 2017 6:29 PM GMT
  • Yes... the Kobayashi Maru test. No, hang on, that was something else.
    Cogiati, yeah... just take it with a pinch of salt.
    Sorry, I'll get back to my Sangria...
    xx
      February 8, 2017 9:41 PM GMT
  • These tests are rather like taking HRT.  If you actually do the tests probabilty, is that you are Trans without needing to know the result.  Start on HRT and you soon find it is the verifier and the cure! I guess I knew I was Trans when I was eight!  Obviously there are consequences, which shouldn't be taken lightly. The Gender Society is the best place to seek advice regardless!

February 10, 2017 4:13 PM GMT
  • The COGIATI test relies on some very shady assumptions.  Well, generalisations really.  The idea is that boys are good at maths and girls are good at communication.  So the idea is that if you score well with situational awareness, can hear well and are good at English, then it follows that you are m to f trans.  Another test, which utilizes the same questions, is the SAGE.  This also assumes that, if you are into cars and like tool magazines, then you must have a male brain.

The problem with this sort of test is that it can tell you what you want to here and the basic mechanics of the questions are quite obviouse, so that anybody taking it can tell the test what you want it to do.  So giving false answers because they push the results that you want.  This, in itself, should tell you everything that you want to know.  In fact, the fact that you are taking the test at all is sufficient to raise the fact that you may have gender issues, since anybody who is comfortable within their birth gender would not probably be looking at a COGIATI test.

Also, the possibility that your lifestyle might not fit the normal gender norms for your birth gender may give a false positive.  When I took the thing it pinged up as stage 4, while SAGE gave me a 475 rating and the advice that I was Trans, but too ugly to wear a frock.  Who knew?

On a more positive note.  If you believe that you are trans and take the test, then it may confirm what you already know and add some credibility to your belief.  However, it does make some big assumptions and if you are concerned about your score, go and see a therapist that specializes in gender issues.  A much better diagnosis gained by one of those people, rather than some online tean mag style test.

:)

April 7, 2017 10:00 PM BST