Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » UK Forum » Everyday and mundane hate crime

Everyday and mundane hate crime

Tags : None
  • Hi everyone,

My name is Ben and I am currently completing my PhD at Kingston University. Gender expression, trans issues, equality issues are all issues close to my heart and have always been at the forefront of my research.

I am currently doing some research into low level, everyday experiences of abuse and hate crime targeting the trans community.

I am in the middle of piloting a survey and would appreciate any responses by anyone who has the time and this may be of interest too. There is a question at the end asking for feedback on the survey.

It should take around 20 minutes to complete and you can withdraw at any time. The link is below and thank you in advance for anyone who has the time to complete the survey.

http://kingston.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_d4k5WarJj0W8ZZH

February 2, 2017 2:17 PM GMT
  • Hey everyone,

Thank you to all who took part in the survey.

I am now up and running with the final completed survey and do need around 400 responses. Anyone who has the time and opprtunity to complete the survey or share among friends, it would be really appreciated.

http://kingston.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eXQkNBOlcpHv9u5

:)

May 9, 2017 5:49 PM BST
  • While it is appreciated that people want to learn, understand and support us.

If people doing studies/surveys want answers, have the decency to take time out to post questions in OUR forums, I am sure you will get more answers, more information and a better understanding of issues, problems whatever. I realy cannot be arsed trolling through countless links to fill in these things on other sites. We would then debate the answers you get, furthering your quest for knowledge.

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
    This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at May 10, 2017 6:28 PM BST
      May 10, 2017 6:22 PM BST
  • Hi Cristine,

Apologies for any offence caused. 

I do understand it can be annoying to constantly be asked to take part in things, and as a person who struggles with their own gender identity I am not a huge fan of surveys because they can be so impersonal, however, as a researcher I understand how important they can be.

I do absolutely intend to do further work for this project which will be much more 1-2-1, meaningful and personal. The survey is only the beginning phase of the project. I would absolutely be interested in having open conversations about some of the issues I am trying to research.

Again, apologies for any annoyance caused. 

May 12, 2017 11:05 AM BST
  • While'st I might have sounded a bit harsh, we get lots of people only join to post their own links to their own surveys.    My pont being if people doing resesearch post their questions and theories on this site, read some of our informative forums, we can have discussions, you can learn from us, I have spent years researching this condition fom a biological spectrum, also spending years studying laws in the UK that affect transgender people directly,  I am now a post graduate law student.   There are no easy yes no answers or even one word answers to any question relating to trans issues.    Many questions have many answers.     We all on this site need to be appreciative of people willing to learn and support us, people who have a genuine empathy with transgendered people.

But some people do come here looking for answers and they have preconceived ideas ignore or twist what we say to suit their own ideas.   A typical example is a book called ''The man who would be Queen'' by micheal J  Bailey. who after years of so called research expounded the theory that transgenderism was based soley on ones sexual orientation.

May 12, 2017 12:28 PM BST
  • ...and then there's the Blanchard followers!!!

xoxo

<p>Traci</p>
      May 12, 2017 11:36 PM BST
  • Baileys book was based on Blanchards work and other morons.    Blanchard then recanted some of his outrageous statements after

universal uproar from the trans comunity and proper experts.   Tracie has been reading my threads xxXxxx

May 13, 2017 1:56 PM BST
  • (grin)

Blanchard is like Satan to the trans world!!!

xoxo

<p>Traci</p>
      May 13, 2017 2:11 PM BST
  • I think that surveys are good from an accademic point of view, since you can usually graph the data and come up with stats.  So lots of quantanive is good for making a point.  However, the qualatitive quotes are a pain to corelate, but in my view essential.  How can you find any sort of conclusions with just data.  The assumption that you have perfect questionnaire design is a floored concept.  Several sources are essential and actually asking somebody how they feel, or what their experiences are is a lot better than just jugling stats.

Well, thats my view anyway.

Alice.

May 27, 2017 10:38 PM BST
  • "The assumption that you have perfect questionnaire design is a floored concept."

Yup...so true!  Garbage in, garbage out...surveys can be skewed to produce results slanted in the direction you're hypothesizing!  And too many variables extends the sample size needed to get proper true ratios worth using.

One on one interviews with open ended questions seem to be a better way to dig deep to true feelings and meaningful information...might not fit the direction the interviewer wants to take it, but a good interviewer ought to figure out that quickly and change their questions on the fly...doing it that way is a lot harder and far more time onsuming though...

Traci xoxo

<p>Traci</p>
      May 28, 2017 12:28 AM BST
  • Overall questionnaires are good for finding out what you want, or expect.  This is quite different from what you actually believe.  The thing is, the person filling out the questionnaire can usually figure out what it is about and then go about giving you the answer that they think you want.  This can work, if you allow for it.

Take the infamous COGIATI for example.  This test has some very dodgy, generalised assumptions.  These are basically that men are good at maths, while women are not, but are equally good at literature and communication.  Since women are socially better than men, the assumptions go, it follows that women should be more clued up when given a social situation.  So very general assumptions that most people feel to be true.  It is also about as subtle, almost exactly like a brick isn't.  So the person filling out the quiz knows what the quiz is asking and what the results should mean.  So you would think that this would negate the results?  But if the person influences the results to give an answer for their ideal gender, it actually tells you a great deal.  If you were male in both mind and body, you would spot the flaws and go out of your way to "Butch" up the answers.  However, if you felt that you were more female in mind than body, you might either consiously or subconsiously influence the answers more in line with your target gender.  So it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy, even though it is actually very crude as a questionaire, you have still gained a valuable insite into the answers that the person wants and not, necessarily what gender their mind actually is.

So some value can be gained from even the worst questionnaire.  However, it is all down to interpretation and this can be flawed unless you have qualatiitive data to back it up.  You might use other peoples stats as well, for comparison.

Anyway.  Enough stats waffle.

Alice

May 28, 2017 8:51 PM BST
  • Phew!!!  *giggles*...about those handbags????  

xoxo

<p>Traci</p>
      May 29, 2017 2:44 PM BST
  • Yeah I come with a lot of baggage.
      May 29, 2017 3:06 PM BST
  • Yeah I come with a lot of baggage.
      May 29, 2017 3:06 PM BST
  • #GotCoach  #GotKateSpade  (smile)

xoxo

<p>Traci</p>
      May 29, 2017 6:36 PM BST
  • Huh?
      May 29, 2017 10:15 PM BST
  • I own handbags by Kate Spade and Coach among others...(smile)

xoxo

<p>Traci</p>
      May 30, 2017 1:59 AM BST
  • It was reported that Coach is buying Kate Spade for $2.4 billion. Perhap in the future you will say "My handbag is by "Coach Spade, and that is why it resembles a football." (smile) xoxo

May 30, 2017 4:24 AM BST
  • Oooh.  Pretty.  But probably out of my budget.  Damn.  Envy is a terrible thing.  

XOXO

June 6, 2017 9:56 PM BST