Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Hormone City » Question about hrt medication

Question about hrt medication

Tags : None
  • I am fully committed into becoming a trans and I'd like to start taking estrogen pills and/or progestin (only slightly understand the difference), but the problem is between all my bills I can't afford a prescription visit. Is it possible to use an OTC estrogen in order to start HRT? Or must it be a doctor appointed prescription?
      March 7, 2017 10:26 PM GMT
    3 1652 3‚ 0

Hello Justin and welcome to the site.

It is possible to buy OTC hormones, depending on which country you live in, though no-one would recommend it without medical supervision.

If you feel you must "do it yourself" then it is hugely important to educate yourself. Not knowing the difference between progestin and etrogen is not a good starting point.

But I don't mean to sound patronising...

All you really need to start with is estrogen, which must be a very low dose to begin with (1 - 2mg for the first few months). The safest form is bio-identical estrogen (for example Estrace). Progestins, which are a synthetic version of progesterone should be avoided completely. Bio-identical (micronised) progesterone is safer but not entirely necessary for M2F feminisation.

I'd advise anyone to spend considerable time reading up on the subject before embarking on hormone treatment. And if you're going to do it for any length of time then blood tests to monitor your health, liver function etc are essential.

Good luck in your quest.

xx

March 8, 2017 10:45 AM GMT
  • Justin Timmons said:
    I am fully committed into becoming a trans and I'd like to start taking estrogen pills and/or progestin (only slightly understand the difference), but the problem is between all my bills I can't afford a prescription visit. Is it possible to use an OTC estrogen in order to start HRT? Or must it be a doctor appointed prescription?
    Hi Justin
    When Iread your post I did a kind of double take..."I am fully committed into becoming a trans " the immeadiate thought I had was...you don't become trans you either are or you aren't. Depending on what flavour you are it may change how you may want to identify...So what kind of outcomes are you wanting from the HRT. Why don't you get a medical professional involved? OTC is certainly available and you can do it but without a great deal of knowledge you could end up really hurting yourself in all sorts of ways...
    Hugs
    Liz
      March 9, 2017 1:02 AM GMT
  • Hiya Justin. welcome to GS.

Liz, realisation suddendly dawns,  I think when Justine said ''I am fully committed into becoming a trans'' I took it to mean that she  intends to fully transition, Trans means so many things, transexual a person who has transitioned and had whatever surgery etc, needed or just living a full time life,  transgender a person who is confused about their gender, perhaps not embarked on the physical changes or presentation.   You are right of course, one does not suddenly wake up and become transgendered.   They might suddenly wake up one day and decide they need to do whatever it takes to be happy in the gender they see themselves as.

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
      March 9, 2017 8:05 PM GMT