Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Hormone City » Is this common on HRT?

Is this common on HRT?

Tags : None
  • So, I've been taking estrogen for about a week now. I've noticed two things. First, I seem hungrier now. I want to munch on things all day long. From going to the gym and exercising I know about muscle pain after working out my my poor little boobs get the same sort of pain.

Anybody else experience anything like this?

April 10, 2017 2:21 AM BST
    3 1652 3‚ 0

I don't remember getting the munchies, but do recall breast tenderness which comes and goes for the first couple of years.

I'm sure they're both entirely normal.

xx

April 10, 2017 9:11 AM BST
  • Thanks for the answer. I appreciate it. I have to comment one thing. Your signature is my favourit quote of all time, Polonius to his son in Hamlet. :)

April 10, 2017 11:03 AM BST
  • 1 146
    Hi Cynthia, Just a comment .It takes a long while ,many months with blood levels being monitored to get an objective view of this,anyway you are right in the middle of it so it's going to be very subjective.Considering that the body has a lot of inertia to the effects of hormones,and also that certain body functions and parts are differently sensitive,and not forgetting there's the effect of T still about ,it's entirely Normal as Lucy says to get these sensations.Regarding the munchies, I used to be really bad but found that the long term effect of increasing Oestrogen[lowering muscle mass ]percentage] .Lowering T levels with suppressor decapapeptyl all under endocrinologists supervision was that I changed my diet and eat less and more healthily.Also in my case ,I became really intolerant to any alcohol.just can't handle it.I feel very healthy now,
    <p>Donna_V</p>
      April 10, 2017 12:33 PM BST
  • 7+ years on HRT and the tenderness still manifests itself in indeterminant cycles!  It is welcomed because it usually means a growth spurt.  Mine had been very, very tender for the past 6-8 weeks...(smile)  

The bottom line is you'll get what you get, no more and no less...just sit back and enjoy your journey!  It's all good...

Traci xoxo

<p>Traci</p>
      April 10, 2017 4:16 PM BST
  • I've really enjoyed the past week being on estrogen. The munchies have calmed down, finally. I still get the tenderness frequently. Might just be imagination but I see improvements in development even after this short period of time. It might have something to do with the fact that I was almost 8 months on spiro before I started and my body was really "craving" hormones of some sort. Or, might just be my imagination.

Still, I'm far more happy with them in my body and T much, much lower!

April 13, 2017 11:04 AM BST
  • Ultimately, you'll discover that the peace of mind and clarity you will develop will far outweigh any satisfaction you derive from the physical morphing!  Of course the perfect scenario is to have both! (smile)  But I truly most enjoy finally feeling just "right" after all of these years of not feeling "just right".  Hope that makes sense!

Traci xoxo

<p>Traci</p>
      April 13, 2017 6:12 PM BST
  • In my experience and how other have described their initiation to HRT, the first few weeks are placebo effect, the comfort and knowledge to know one is finaly on the path to their desired destiny.

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
      April 13, 2017 6:52 PM BST
  • To add to Crissy's comment, what was definitely not placebo was a very quick change in body scent and skin softening.  For me, things flipped at around two weeks to one month...everything else took a fair amount of time.  

Traci xoxo

<p>Traci</p>
      April 13, 2017 11:11 PM BST
  • Being on antiandrogens for over six months did a lot to clear my mind. The longer I was on them though the harder it became to present male at work because the sense of "wrongness" escalated the longer I was on them, especially once my endocrinologist increased them from the low dose I was on to something higher.

Coming up on two weeks with E and a much higher dose of antiandrogens. It has been amazing so. Yes, just knowing that I started on estrogens has been huge for my mental state. Much of that is like a placebo effect for sure. It is like having an anti-anxiety medication in your purse to help with panic attacks and it reduces the anxiety and amount of panic attacks because you know that it is there.

I am noticing physical changes as well as mental changes. Softer skin is definitely on of the changes. My hair seems softer and shinier too, growing faster, possibly. The munchies are much better, or I'm getting better and not giving into them. Continued breast development is definitely there. My bra pads are close to not being able to fit in my bra any longer.

It is definitely a wonderful ride so far. Time to sit back and just enjoy the trip. :)

April 15, 2017 3:41 PM BST
  • Into my fourth week on estrogen. Breasts still get tender now and again but the munchies have at least departed. I'm noticing a few minor things that are pleasant. Slow but continuous breast development. Definite softening of my skin as well. The rate at which my hair is growing seems to have increased but that might be the gummies I got for hair/nails. The emotional changes are so incredible! Mental clarity like I've never had before. My already empathic feelings are even stronger than before. I feel a lot more for people that I used to. Things are making me laugh outloud rather than just to myself.

April 29, 2017 8:38 PM BST
  • Today marks my 3rd month on HRT. I'm loving the effects on my body. My hair on my head is much fuller, and more of a pain. My breasts are steadily getting larger. They always ache when I get up in the morning. The parts that I detest are shrinking. So, I'm a happy girl and can't wait for the 6 month anniversary.

July 4, 2017 9:16 PM BST
  • Hi Cynthia,

Thanks so much for sharing this post! For the longest time I'd been struggling with a few of the side effects you mentioned, but could never be sure if this was a normal thing or just me! Apparently this post says hrt side effects are fairly common / the list is pretty long? It wasn't until I stumbled on your post that I found someone with a similar experience, so thanks again for sharing this. Really appreciate it, and hope your 6 month anniversary is as great as you want it to be! :) 

August 8, 2017 12:48 AM BST
  • Soon it will be 6 months, where does the time go! I'm really start to notice the effects, especially after changing the spiro I was getting to the brand name. The generic company, ask for the name if you have similar problems with generic medications, that made to the spiro I was taking might have well been sending me sugar pills. I did absolutely nothing the medication is supposed to do, even for heart issues. Over the past few weeks with increased estrace and spiro I've notices a tone of changes. First of course, I'm to the point of needing to bra shop again because the old ones are too tight. Second, hair growth on the face has slowed. Between that and laser there are days I go out with absolutely no makeup and I'm not treated differently.

I'll check back in later next month. Right now I have to get ready for a trip with a wonderful that I met online. She is the apple of my eye and I have good feelings about us.

c

August 23, 2017 1:42 AM BST
  • I've been HRT for 9 months now. Things are going very well. Just wondering if any other girls have experienced their nipples getting incredibly itchy when going through a growth spurt. No matter what I try I can get the itching to stop! It will then go away for a few weeks and then another growth spurt and instant itch!

January 8, 2018 1:35 AM GMT
  • My nipples got very thick and long and were extremely tender during growth spurts. Not so much itchy...
    One of the negative side effects of spiro (there are plenty) is the growth of visceral fat around your organs. Don’t task me with digging up the source, but I discovered in numerous postings that this is common. Visceral fat is fat you never lose as it steadfastly surrounds your organs and is not susceptible to the efforts of dieting. It is our enemy in trying to transition and look our best. It responsible for why so many of us appear “barrel chested” rather than cut svelte. Spiro is a terrible drug to use and it’s primarily purpose is the reduce body fluids to those who have congestive heart failure. If it really was a good AA, wouldn’t we be hearing from hundreds of thousands of men complaining about developing female secondary characteristics? You more than likely only need estrogen at this point to feminize your body.
    Best wishes always!
    Traci xoxo
    <p>Traci</p>
      January 17, 2018 1:44 AM GMT
  • As always, Thanks Traci.

January 26, 2018 10:37 PM GMT
  • So, am I hearing stay away from Spiro? or is that needed when you start HRT? I have not started yet. Been to a therapist for a month who said I was ready for HRT the 2nd time I saw her since I dress almost 24/7, No laser treatments yet. Such a pain. and of course my voice. I have only been at this for 6 months or so. 

But yearned for it since I was very young. Some of the only reasons I dress male still are for the few family members that don't know Quite yet, Work, which I have to uphold a professional atmosphere in front of customers. :(, and If I just have Nothing to wear that day. I am still lacking clothing. I am disabled so buying clothes is a once a month occasion which I don't get to spend very much. 

Anyway, I'm new here and haven't really gone though the forums yet. I just saw this and hopped in.  HRT should be starting within aprox 3 months from now. 

I feel I should be researching abit more before I have the doctor start me out on them. Especially since it is going to be paid for by the state/taxpayers. Since My SSI disability insurance will be paying for it. TYVM. :)

Any advice?

February 1, 2018 4:50 PM GMT
  • 2 2627
    Hi
    My doctor's had me on spiro now for 2 weeks & I just did my first injection of Estradiol Valerate to day. I'll be doing my own injections at home for the next 3 months. 1ML every 2 weeks. I don't know if that's a lot or a little.
    <p>Karen Brad</p>
      February 3, 2018 7:51 PM GMT
  • Spiro has far too many potential negative side effects to use it.  It has only been in the last year that it finally is being brought up.  So many of us transitioned with Spiro being prescribed as the AA when all the medical world really did here was "copy and paste" from prior prescribers their protocol without truly looking into this drug.  So bad advice has been passed on for years now...as there is very little money in working medically with the trans world (unless you're a plastic surgeon), virtually no research is actually done on the drugs.  There's been no R&D done specifically to find or discredit good or bad drugs because there is no funding and no ultimate "payout", which is what the Big Pharma world is truly about.  Do you think that Big Pharma actually cares about people???  Ha!  Not a chance!  It's about making money, boatloads of it, and they will attempt to block anything coming down the pike that they do not patents for or threatens their core business (ie: medical marijuana, herbal solutions, etc)....if you believe otherwise, you're very naive!!  

Let me toss this back out...spiro has been prescribed for many years to people who have congestive heart failure, the inability to move liquid build ups affecting the heart.  People literally drown from these fluid buildups.  Spiro was intended to be a diuretic and move them out.  Hundreds of thousands of patients in US have been prescribed this drug over the years.  It is a staple product in the protocol of this disease and Big Pharma makes a pretty penny selling it as the cost of developing it has been recouped so many times over.  But has anyone ever heard of males complaining about developing breasts, becoming impotent, or seeing their "willies" shrink from using this?  No...not at all...but one of the possible side effects is "gynecomastia".  It can happen and probably has to some degree, but certainly not enough to warrant attention and certainly not enough to make doctors put a hold on it in prescribing to those with the disease.  Somewhere along the way in trans history, a doctor saw the potential side effect and decided this was would the perfect AA.  No R&D into it, just reading up in his or her journals and stepping up to prescribe it.  So Doctor A prescribes it and shares with Doctor B when Doctor B get their first trans patient.  Dr. B goes, "ah ha, I've got it!!" and precribed it.  Before you know, word has traveled thru the medical world that Spiro is the latest and greatest drug to use as an AA.  This protocol is now THE word in trans care!  But reality is that it might lower your T some, which generally is enough to allow estrogen to do the rest all by itself.  But it is this true lack of research coupled with doctor's fear of law suits or malpractice that drives the poor medical attention we receive.  There are many doctors today still prescribing Premarin or Dianne35!!!  Why?  Because it was used 30 years ago and therefore must work!!  WTF!!!  

Frankly, you're probably going to find the best solutions for what and how much to use from women in our community that are or have transitioned...there are a couple of places where you can find this information readily and learn about the "pro's" and "con's" of pretty much anything.  Where the doctor is truly helpful is in monitoring your blood levels and overall health.  But I would not readily accept a prescription if I felt it was not "state of the art" nor overwhelmingly endorsed by my sisters in our community.  It's sad, but today, is the best way to proceed!  Don't allow a doctor to shove something at you without a good, logical argument where you can present updated information on successful protocols.  While they might like it, they do work for YOU and not the other way around.  If they refuse to listen or look into it themselves and present a good case as to why they are prescribing something, find another doctor!!!

Traci xoxo

<p>Traci</p>
      February 9, 2018 7:20 PM GMT