Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » General Forum » The Female/Male Brain

The Female/Male Brain

Tags : None
  • The idea of the male/female brain is one of the cornerstones of many transgender articles and is backed up by a lot of science.  However, I have come accross these two articles that offer another slant.  I am not convinced that they reach the right conclusions, but have a look and see what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYpDU040yzc&feature=youtu.be

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/nov/30/brain-sex-men-from-mars-women-venus-not-so-says-new-study

Enjoy

Alice

July 12, 2017 9:21 PM BST
  • 1. Introduction The role of the androgen receptor in CNS masculinization or the absence of same in male feminisation 

The medial posterior region of the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis (BSTMP) and the locus coeruleus (LC) show opposite patterns of sexual dimorphism. The BSTMP in males is greater in volume and number of neurons than in females (male N female) while in the LC, the opposite is true (female N male). To investigate the possible role of the androgen receptor (AR) in the masculinization of these two structures, males with the testicular feminization mutation (Tfm) were compared to their control littermate males. No differences were seen in the number of neurons of the BSTMP between Tfm and their control littermate males, while in the LC, Tfm males have a greater number of neurons than their control littermate males. These results show that the AR is involved in the control of neuron number in the LC but not in the BSTMP. Results based on the LC suggest that when females have a larger brain area than males, masculinization in males may be achieved through the AR, with androgens perhaps decreasing cell survival. 

Sex differences in the mammalian brain have two main characteristics: they often occur in neural circuits related 
    to reproductive physiology and behavior and they are seen in two opposite morphological patterns In one 
    pattern, males have greater volumes and/or number of neurons than females (male N female), while in the other, the opposite is true (female N male) Existing evidence suggest that gonadal androgens are involved in the development of sex differences in structures that are larger in males than in females,

Cristine:- So is it safe to say the percentage difference between the number of neurons BSTMP M to F and F to male affect the degree of GID and could possible result in dual gender identity when more or less balanced? with no predominate influence.

http://gendersociety.com/forums/topic/9870/cns-brain-male-feminisation   This thread contains more information and pictures of a transexuals brain compared with that of a male brain. 

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
    This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at July 12, 2017 10:03 PM BST
      July 12, 2017 9:49 PM BST
  • Sexual Hormones and the Brain: An Essential Alliance for Sexual Identity and Sexual Orientation Garcia-Falgueras A, Swaab DF Endocr Dev. 2010;17:22-35

The fetal brain develops during the intrauterine period in the male direction through a direct action of testosterone on the developing nerve cells, or in the female direction through the absence of this hormone surge. In this way, our gender identity (the conviction of belonging to the male or female gender) and sexual orientation are programmed or organized into our brain structures when we are still in the womb. However, since sexual differentiation of the genitals takes place in the first two months of pregnancy and sexual differentiation of the brain starts in the second half of pregnancy, these two processes can be influenced independently, which may result in extreme cases in trans-sexuality. This also means that in the event of ambiguous sex at birth, the degree of masculinization of the genitals may not reflect the degree of masculinization of the brain. in fact in the examination of male to female transexuals the brain composition would suggest varying degrees  uf under masculisation vegring on the near total feminisation. There is no indication that social environment after birth has an effect on gender identity or sexual orientation

July 12, 2017 9:51 PM BST
  • The scientific literature has already come to a consensus on the existence of cognitive sex differences, especially with regard to spatial ability. Both neural/hormonal and social factors contribute to those differences. See Diane Halpern's "Sex Differences in Cognitive Abilities".

Stereotypes, including gender stereotypes, are mostly accurate. So saying that some view or conclusion is a gender stereotype is not a real criticism. See Lee Jussim's "Social Perception and Social Reality: Why Accuracy Dominates Bias and Self-Fulfilling Prophecy".

Finally, let's assume the real reason why women have bigger corpus callosums is that they have smaller brains. Does the relation between sex and corpus callosum size cease to exist? No. Women on average will still have larger corpus callosums and all the (presumed) behavioural/cognitive characteristics associated with it.

If you look at the sexual dimorphism from an evolutionary perspective, this makes perfect sense. In early human societies, men went out to hunt while women stayed in the village (with very few exceptions).

The traits that made men more successful were those that allowed them to be better hunters and warriors: so coordinated action, perception of environmental opportunities and dangers. For the women in the village, their success is more dependent on "politics" and relationships. Instead of organizing hunts, the successful woman is one who is well liked by people and use strong communication skills and wits to solve problems (and not braun since they will lose to the stronger males).

Thus over time, as the traits that marks a successful man and woman differs, it makes sense that there should be sexual dimorphism in brain structures.

Which in turn is a probable and logical cause for some brain structure difference in male to female transexuals.

This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at July 12, 2017 9:55 PM BST
      July 12, 2017 9:54 PM BST
  • Yeah, thats what I thought.  The Ted talk on this one was interesting, but as I said, I didn't agree with her conclusions.  But it is interesting research anyway.

Alice

July 12, 2017 9:55 PM BST
  • 1 146
    Thanks for sharing.Cris mentioned scientific research with TFM, which to my knowledge refers to Testicular Feminised Mice,.This is a Laboratory construct in which Scientists wishing to make test in a gender neutral subject,will use a species of mice with the TFM trait.The idea of using a gender neutral construct in Science now seems flawed,but I am old enough to understand why in previous decades it was considered valid enough.The TED talk was an interesting start point,which reflects a more open approach,removing the need for rigid constructs in Science.From a personal point of view I can relate to the idea that understanding our personal individual environment of Stress ,Gender Dysphoria, and Brain development can make sense of our behaviour.
    <p>Donna_V</p>
      July 14, 2017 12:05 PM BST
  • 1 146
    Thinking of the Past,I can identify in myself a lot of pain when I was confronted with induced stress in male dominated work environments.This would have a lasting effect on me as it seemed I could not escape my reaction.I am glad to say that in the present,having had HRT ,and GRS the set up for want of a better word is more coherent,my reaction to stress and the feeling of what I can do is connected.
    <p>Donna_V</p>
      July 14, 2017 12:29 PM BST
  • I did'nt soley rely on the TFM  related report, further investigation lead me to other sources, I actually had my own brain scanned at the gene clinic in Cambridge the report  in my case, was, whilst there were minor abnormalities, it could  be noted in their opinion that it made no significant difference, to my own gender disorder, even though I had previously been diagnosed with reifensteins syndrome.

The thread I started. refered to above goes into more detail and shows significant differences in the brain scans of trans people compared with those of 'normal' natal males and females. veering to the opposite of birth gender.

July 14, 2017 11:02 PM BST
  • Donna I would assume that subconciously or otherwise, feelings of being in the wrong body perse would actually cause more stress in the first place,   Reports would show that even some, casual crossdressers, use it as a form of escapism, especially those suffering PTSD, even hardended soldiers, needing periods of relief from memories of the horrors of things they have seen, suffered or done.     But for people suffering a Gender identity disorder, it's my considered opinion the stress is caused by their existing condition, their unhappiness of their position. being unable to cope, not what some people would suggest, the stress causes them to be transgendered.

September 10, 2017 4:11 PM BST
  • Further thoughts on  my last post.

Stress and escapism, some people tend to drink alcohol in excess. take drugs. they  could even dress up as Santa for a day, santas like cross dressers revert back to type when reality sets in and would never entertain the thought of living permantly in the role the choose to escape the reality and pressure they suffer.

This is totaly different from transgender people, with gender dysphoria, there are so many divisions within our comunity, whilst not judging people we do have to distinguish between those that have an inherant need to be of the opposite gender and those that are more selective in when they choose to escape and then return to their own reality.

Typical example is the well know ladyboy or shemale, they choose that name to reflect their chosen proffesion,  instead of becoming rent boys, male prostitutes, its only a minority of these that actually are gender dysphoric and the only way they can gain finance to further their aims to transition, so again one must not judge them, all too often, we hear other trans people berating them and saying how they let the side down, give us all a bad name personaly I have never needed to do it for the money, but I have done some outrageous and sleazy things to find recognition for who I was, needed to be and to piss off, shame the people who rejected me as a child.

PS. if anyone who knows me personally should meet up with my mother, please what ever you do, do not tell her I am going to be a famous trans barrister, she thinks I'm a rent boy, she would be so dissapointed

This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at September 10, 2017 8:14 PM BST
      September 10, 2017 8:08 PM BST
  • lol.  Good to know that I am not the only one with mother issues.

Alice

September 10, 2017 8:54 PM BST
  • 1 146
    Hi Cris, Just to clarify,in my case I can identify that the stresses at work I had where characterised by me not adopting the expected responses and norm of behaviour for a male.As far as I see it this induced state of stress is a characteristic of gender Dysphoria.Any how today,those things are in the past
    <p>Donna_V</p>
      September 11, 2017 12:10 PM BST