Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Hormone City » Vegan (Plant-Based) Hormones

Vegan (Plant-Based) Hormones

Tags : None
  • I'm curious to hear from any ethical vegan transgender MTF and FTM people ONLY.... not so much non-vegans or trollers....... regarding your views about plant-based hormones. Pueraria Mirifica has been discussed and I'm conviced it has some serious merit. Feel free to discuss the legal hormone regimen requirements of SRS and how these requirements may infringe on the right of vegans to pursue SRS. I do not want a debate about plant-based versus animal-based hormones because us true ethical vegans are going to work strictly within the boundaries of using products that are ethically derived without animal enslavement regardless of the naysayers who incorrectly claim that there are no effective botanicals. I have a general suspicion that most pharmaceuticals are animal derived products. Yes, I know people will tell me they are largely synthesized but that is not a simple truth. Syntheisization is not a clear indication of beong plant-derived or animal free. And most medicines come in gelatine capsules which is something no ethical vegan will consume in a non-emergency. Another bottom line issue regards any legal right we may or may not have to be informed of every ingredient and process used in the formation of proprrietary hormone pharmaceuticals. Let's talk about botanical pharmaceuticals, meaning specifically any plant-derived hormones that require a prescription. Let's also talk about plant-based hormones in general as well. As a footnote, I've had a longtime pen friend in Europe who has used Pueraria Mirifica for two years. She has experienced marvelous breast development. And I've heard this from other independent sources as well.

This post was edited by Dollina Garden at August 1, 2017 2:17 PM BST
      August 1, 2017 2:11 PM BST
    3 1652 3‚ 0

Have you considered estradiol? Although it's bio-identical to human estradiol it is actually plant-derived, and is certainly very effective.

I found some info on one type of tablet, presumably other brands won't differ much; apparently they also contain the "following inactive ingredients: anhydrous lactose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, and polacrilin potassium. In addition, the 1 mg tablets also contain D&C Red #30, D&C Yellow #10, and FD&C Blue #1. The 2 mg tablets also contain D&C Yellow #10, and FD&C Blue #1."

I looked up the colourings (why they need those in tablets is beyond me), none of them are animal derived.

xx

This post was edited by Lucy Diamond at August 1, 2017 8:43 PM BST
      August 1, 2017 8:40 PM BST
  • Hi Lucy, My interst in this topic of vegan and transgender intersectionality is for me but I'm also gathering info because I may wish to write about it later. Yes, I've considered estradiol. You say it's plant-derived. How do you know estradiol is plant derived? Can you point to a credible source online? I could not find one. And even if it is plant-derived, any added steroids are not quaranteed to be plant derived. I know that steriods are manufactured from animal slaughter products and sometimes supposedly from plant sources. but unless it's stated in writing on the package, there is no evidence to say it's a plant-derived steroid. And most companies do not care about informing consumers what's vegan and what's not.

August 1, 2017 10:30 PM BST
    3 1652 3‚ 0

Hopefully Harvard is credible:

"Bioidentical hormones — hormones that are identical in molecular structure to the hormones women make in their bodies. They're not found in this form in nature but are made, or synthesized, from a plant chemical extracted from yams and soy. Bioidentical estrogens are 17 beta-estradiol, estrone, and estriol. (Estradiol is the form of estrogen that decreases at menopause.)"

https://www.health.harvard.edu/womens-health/what-are-bioidentical-hormones

The only animal-derived estrogen that I know of is Premarin, which is no longer on the UK gender clinics' list of prescribed treatments.

xx

August 1, 2017 10:49 PM BST
  • Yes, Harvard has some credibility but 17 beta-estradiol might just be one kind of estradiol.

First problem: Bioidentical estradiol is made by synthesis. Synthesis usually means a conversion of one chemical into another, using untold chemicals. Unless the untold chemicals are fully revealed, there is no way to prove it's totally free of animal products.

Second problem: Even if plants are the primary source of estradiol, that's good but pharmaceuticals are often blended with lots of animal -sourced things, like animal-derives stearates. In your first post you mention that you found "magnesium stearate" in the estradiol that you checked. There is no transparency in the pharm industry so we vegans do not know if that's the usual animal derived stearate or the less usual plant-derived stearate. And then again, we don't know if the sysnthesis of a plant-derived stearate is always free of anaiml-derived chemicals used to make it.

Basically, most people don't know what's in these drugs because they are pretty much secret formulas, not single ingedients.

CORRECTION: In a previous post above I mentioned "steroids" but I meant stearates. Estradiol is itself a steroid occuring naturally in animals and humans. Stearates used in drug and vitamin formulas are usually from animal sources.

August 1, 2017 11:33 PM BST
  • For what it's worth, if you look at my profile pic and others in my albums, this was all done with plants...but I know better than to carry this conversation further...I have zero credibility expect for the small handful of people I've met thru this site that rarely ever post, let alone even log in here any more.  

My take is that there are alternatives to prescribed, period...might they be weaker than the pharm products?  Possibly...  did they work well for me?  Absolutely without a doubt...I've been passing seemlessly into mainstream society for years now and can even wear a two piece bathing suit at the beach and turn heads for the right reasons!  (smile)

But I'm not a vegan Dollina so my input here based on your topics is a moot point.  I just had to get it off my chest...

Best wishes in your search for answers...

Traci xoxo

<p>Traci</p>
      August 2, 2017 2:37 AM BST
  • Hi Traci, Even if you aren't vegan, it looks like you've attained some breast development using those "plants". Can you tell me what you have been using? I think I've heard of them all but I'd be curious to know. I'm primarily imnterested in plant-derived pharmaceutical hormones that qualify for SRS but also interested in all other plant-derived hormones. I was unable to look at your photos because each time I tried, the system said they are unavailable at this time. But the profile pic shows some curvature, presumably natural without being taped as the pro queens do it. Thanks for the input.

August 2, 2017 6:34 PM BST
  • lol on the taping...no, they are all mine! (smile)

I'm a "full A" or smallish

B cup but wear 38B bras when I wear them as it's a better fit for a born male torso...message me and I'll send you the link to the site of my source for the plants.  Just mentioning it in here usually elicits a firestorm of negative responses and I like and respect those that do too much to engage in any debate at this point.  It is what it is...I'm not a salesperson for their products, just a completely satisfied, almost 8 year user. 

As there are numerous pharma solutions to medical issues, there are and have been for thousands of years, natural solutions as well.  I'm a believer in alternative medicine and healing and my overall health is off the charts for someone my age. (knock on wood)  I have the energy and looks of a much younger person than a 67 ought to have so I must be on to something that works well with my body and metabolism.  But it is a topic I cannot win in here so I usually just let things slide without engaging in conversations that will more than likely create ill feelings.  It has happened in the past if you go back and look at older threads from the "Hormone" thread.  While I do not argue against the effectiveness of the pharma route, I just know there are other solutions.  

That said, my protocol costs a lot more per month over prescribed meds but I have the means to be able to choose whatever I wish to.

Good luck with your search...

Traci

<p>Traci</p>
      August 2, 2017 8:13 PM BST
  • I'm in a similar position. I can afford what I want if it's not a waste of money. Notwithstanding what I tell the world, my age is only a teensy bit less than yours and likewise my health is fantastic. Not a gym buff and usually don't get enough exercise but unlike many vegans who eat low quality food, I eat a low salt, low oil, low sweet vegan diet with plenty of colorful and juicy organic veggies and good clean water from glass bottles. I'm fairly thin with incredibly smooth skin for my age.  I think I wear the same bra size as you but mine has mostly padding. I will go to your profile now and try to message you.

August 2, 2017 11:02 PM BST
  • I replied with a pic and link to your email...(smile)

xoxo

<p>Traci</p>
      August 2, 2017 11:36 PM BST
  • Thanks for that info. At least one of the formulas shows added stearates and gelatine capsules. I've started building a list of (nonprescription) ingredients and will probably use a FileMaker Pro database to catalog at least a few dozen phytoestrogen sources. It will list botanical names, common names, leading geographical sources and online commercial sources for single phytoestrogen plants and herbs from the largest online herbal suppliers. Some of the ingrediants can be obtained from local wicca and herb shops. I've built up a lot of files on this over the last year. I want to experiment and learn from others which ones seem most effective. I'd like to make hormonal formulas, learn to make breast creams, suppositories, tisanes, beverages, food recipes and lots of things just for myself and any TG friends. I would not want to do this as a business because then it would require FDA compliance and so forth, which can get very complicated. Later I can write about it online and share any ideas I find or come up with. But I won't be starting right away. 'Just have way too many projects happinging right now. Maybe by September I might start buying ingredients.

August 3, 2017 4:09 AM BST