Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » UK Forum » Here's a poser.

Here's a poser.

Tags : None
  • https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4882764/miranda-yardley-comment-gender-nuetral-changing-rooms-topshop-topman/

MIRANDA YARDLEY

Gender-neutral changing rooms aren’t safe — they just appease the trans lobby who won’t accept you if don’t conform to their views,

One needs to read the complete article, different newspapers give a different slant on things.

Cristine Shye

I worry that and quote 

''Equalities minister Justine Greening wants to change the Gender Recognition Act 2004 so that any person can change their gender by declaring it''

Will we get so much resentment and negativity, pushing the boundaries, we allready have recognition and rights in law, will none trans people take advantage of choosing a facilty for devious purposes ., when we go  to try on clothes, find tell tale stains on garments? I understand gender being fluid for some which does complicate things,  I am concerned that if they do away totally with medical supervision and a basis of gender change being permanent,    DVLA, Medical Centres,   Passport Office other authorities will be inundated with change and change back scenario's on a daily basis.    Imprisoned personel will spend all their time swopping jails,   The UK while not perfect regarding its Gender recognition Act, it is probably the best in the world.

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
    This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at November 15, 2017 3:29 PM GMT
      November 10, 2017 10:56 PM GMT
  • The suggestion that any person should be able to change their gender by simply declaring it does set alarm bells ringing. I don't think it should be quite that easy, but perhaps things do need to change.

Here are some interesting viewpoints from non-binary people:

https://www.them.us/story/this-is-what-gender-nonbinary-people-look-like

November 20, 2017 12:19 AM GMT
  • It should not be that easy.  If anybody can declare without some form of medical background then it would become uncomfortable for everybody, since you would not know if the person was genuine in their conviction, or actually represented a danger.

That said, I am sort of in favor of gender neutral toilets and we already have gender neutral changing rooms in swimming baths.  So I think that gender neutral facilities have a lot going for them.  The article points out that only having a thin piece of material between you and somebody of the opposite sex could be uncomfortable.  So perhaps more robust cubicles may be the answer to that.  That said, if it makes shoppers uncomfortable, they may go elsewhere.  So any suggestions are going to be voted on by the shoppers.

Back to the serious question of just declaring that you are transgender without medical input.  No, no and more no.  

Alice

November 20, 2017 9:44 PM GMT
  •  An idea being put around, to add a third gender ID on passports, something I can agree with. 

UD (undefined Gender) or US (unspecified) US is also an acronym for useless.

Its the adage I find distressing and completely alien to a persons human rights,   Which upon leaving the EU, the human rights act is to be tailored/altered to be included in UK law.   Is that people undergoing transition should have to use/select the third gender option when applying for a new passport, until they have completed RLE and obtained a Gender recognition Certificate, the laws relating to transgendered people The Passports Act 2008, section 11 have already been updated/ammended to take into account, and I quote.

Applying for a passport Additional information for transgender and transsexual customers

We want everyone applying for a passport to be able to do so quickly and easily. This leaflet gives some additional advice relating to the specific needs of our transgender and transsexual customers when applying for a passport so they don’t
    experience any undue delay.
    Please read this leaflet in addition to the “Applying for a passport” guidance  booklet provided with the passport application form.

Applying for your passport
    You can apply for a passport in an acquired gender. This option is available to those who do not hold a Gender Recognition Certificate or have not had gender reassignment surgery, as well as  those who have.
    As with all passport applications, we need to confirm your identity to prevent identity fraud and verify that you are a British national. In some cases, to help complete your application, we may  need to ask for further information compared to what is outlined in our guidance booklet.

Please see the following options: You have a British passport in an acquired gender and want to renew it.
    Please follow the passport renewal guidance in the “Applying for a passport” booklet and submit your old passport with your application. There are no differences to the standard document requirements. You should fill in the application form using details relating to your acquired gender and reflect  both your current name and any other previous names you have used in your acquired gender in section 2. You do not need to include any previous names in your birth gender.

Not that it affects me personally, but will those who are currently undergoing RLE and have a passport in a changed gender then have to have their passport changed again?    I am trying to find out how serious these rumours are withing government circles.    The very thought is troublesome, outrageous and further complicates things for  a person who has stated or undertaken a change is permament to have their gender changed allready.

This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at November 22, 2017 3:14 PM GMT
      November 22, 2017 3:10 PM GMT
  • I got a new -F- passport at the end of 2014 with no problems. No GRC, no GRS, I just sent them my deed poll and letter from my endocrinologist. Of course, living abroad which means applying on-line may have played a role, as did applying just before Christmas ( "I don't want anything left uncompleted over Christmas and New Year!?) The interesting thing was that, according to the info with the on-line application form, the only documentation they wanted was my old passport! Not even counter-signatures!

The German Constitutional Court has decided that a third gender option is necessary, principally to accommodate intersexuals.  The relevant abreviation has yet to be decided. This will apply to birth certificates, ID-documents and so on.

Lynn

"It ain't what you do,it's the way that you do it............and that's what gets results!"
      November 23, 2017 9:57 AM GMT
  • Yes Wendy one does not need a GRS or SRS The passport act was amended to cater for those who wish to change gender permantley, a deed poll and a referal letter is enough that's why I high lighted the actual wording of the act

December 1, 2017 2:16 PM GMT