Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Polly Ticks » Why we voted to leave.

Why we voted to leave.

Tags : None
  • Shelling out £214 billion since 2012, Britain remains just one of five out of 28 alliance members to meet its key 2% of GDP annual target.

A new report reveals the UK now accounts for almost a third of all defence spending across the EU.

The research by the Henry Jackson Society think tank reveals just how dependent the rest of the continent is on Britain.

Academics last night said it will boost Theresa May’s hand during Brexit negotiations, which will include a security treaty.

It emerged that Germany underspent the most, with the Berlin government falling short of its NATO spending target by 39%, or £ 106billion.

Italy short changed European security by £67billion, or 43%, and Spain by £56billion, missing its NATO target by 54%.

Even big military spender France fell short by £18billion, missing the NATO target by 9%.

The report’s author James Rogers said: “In recent months, the United Kingdom has been disparaged by many Europeans for its decision to leave the EU.

“Britain remains deeply committed to the security of Europe as the largest European military and foreign aid spender.

“Moreover, most European countries, insofar as they have short-changed both NATO and the world’s poorest people by hundreds of billions of dollars over the past five years, have their own shortcomings, which should not be overlooked.”

The only country to pay in more, was America, for the defence of European borders.

The EU is one big joke, the primary countries bordering the threatening countries, have paid in the least.    Eastern block countries bordering Russia, have only paid in E18 Billion between them.

Tonight the Tory rebels sided with stupid Labour defeated the Prime Minister's call for backing.

I did'nt so much vote Tory, I voted for Teresa May because I genuinely think, given a chance, she would change things for the better and steer a government away from the staid far right, snouts in the trough Tories and I think the majority of voters in the last election thought the same,    It was a close call with Corbyn and his impossible promises.

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
    This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at December 13, 2017 10:42 PM GMT
      December 13, 2017 10:39 PM GMT

As someone who lives in Europe, has an inernational marriage and moved from place to place half a dozen times etc, I got to say, the European Union has its issues (I can't believe that we can' t have a bloody unified driving licence for example), but to say it's a total joke? No way.

December 15, 2017 4:09 PM GMT
  • The UK may spend a lot on defence but from what I've read one needs to look rather closely at where the money is going and at the general state of our forces. Procurement etc. has been successively outsourced with the well-known result that things become more expensive, are burdened with debt and that the weapons systems so procured don't work as they should. Not only that, the procurement contracts forbid  MoD engineers from carry out repairs and modifications themselves with the result that warships, submarines, tanks and so on are, in many cases, unfit for purpose and stand around waiting for a visit to tjhe dockyard, the workshops or whatever.

In any case, The EU and NATO are two entirely different matters and deliberately confusing the two only serves certain peoples ill-informed prejudices.

As far as 'short-changing' the world's poorer countries goes, the UK is very good at that by itself.

As Katia says, the EU isn't perfect but no way can it be described as a joke. I'm more than happy to be living in the EU!

"It ain't what you do,it's the way that you do it............and that's what gets results!"
      December 15, 2017 8:07 PM GMT
  • We'll trade you one cheddar head chief-of-ignorance for a case of bangers and a keg of beer!  The beer doesn't have to be cold! (grin)

Traci xoxo

<p>Traci</p>
      December 16, 2017 5:01 AM GMT
  • Hi Traci,

English Ale is drunk like good red French wine at room temperature! So nice to have a non TS discourse! Come over  some day! We really are beyound eccentric! Oh by the way our Ale is very, very strong!

Fondest regards,

XXX

Sally

December 23, 2017 4:21 PM GMT

No kidding. I was in a place called Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese in London once and I was served a beer so thick you could stand a spoon in it, and warm enough you could take a bath (supposing you were small enough to get in the mug, which I am, almost). It was VERY good. But my favourite is still Bamberg smoked beer.

December 23, 2017 9:33 PM GMT
  • I love my beer strong since I cannot usually drink much in volume of anything...but I do prefer it to be more liquid than solid! Or heck, toss it into the ingredients of a meat pie and bake it! Hmmmmm....(Smile)
    If I visit, I’m stopping in London and dragging Crissie Shye away with me and we’ll probably be knockered severely by the time we reach you! We’ll be hungry by then, so let’s get one of those meat/ale pies while we’re at it! Lol
    Xoxo
    <p>Traci</p>
      December 31, 2017 5:08 AM GMT
  • So the EU is advocating a ban on car parts and components manufactured in the UK, or subjecting them to a high import duty to the EU.  Hmmm   Lets put VAT up to 50% and impose an import duty on everything imported to the UK from the EU,  French Cars, cheeses, wine,  German sausages, cars, the list is endless,

Then we give a discount to the Chinese, Japanese, Indians and anyone else who manufactures or produces goods within the UK borders and employs British workers.   Stop the influx of European and world wide economic migrants.

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
      June 10, 2018 9:19 PM BST