Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Coming Out » Advice to STraight Friend

Advice to STraight Friend

Tags : None
  • Hello there. My name is Mark and I am seeking some advice for a situation.

I am a straight man. My older brother is gay and I accepted him wholeheartedly when he came out. I've gone to bars with him and consider myself very open minded and gay-friendly.

My situation is this: I recently became friends with a guy I work with and through him met his younger brother who just turned 18. I've become friends with him as well since we all work together. I like the kid but it is pretty obvious that he is in the closet. I know better than to confront him. A person has to make that journey on his own timetable.

The problem is I think he has a crush on me. Several times he has greeted me by saying "Hey Beautiful". He's always touching my arm or shoulder in a way that straight men usually don't. He looks at me when he thinks I can't see. There are other signs as well, which I consider flattering but not reciprocal. He knows I'm straight. My gf and I have been together for four years.

I want to discourage him without making him think what he feels is wrong or bad. Should I say something overt to him or just let it go until he says something to me? I don't want to stop hanging out with him and I want him to feel its OK to come out when hes ready, but thats not a road I want to go down.

Any advice? Does it sound like he might be into me? How can I discourage him?

February 26, 2018 8:42 PM GMT
  • Is you GF gay friendly, if so take her along with you one night, perhaps he will then get the message.   I have a couple of Gay friends they are touchy feely, but it's all harmless, that' just how they are 

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
      February 27, 2018 6:15 PM GMT