Tags : None
  • https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6806161/cliff-richard-to-get-ruling-on-whether-bbc-breached-his-privacy-by-filming-child-abuse-raid/

Why did the police allow the press into the premises to film the search in progress in the first instance, the basis of obtaining evidence is to preserve the scene/premises from contamination, this film would be judged prejudicial to any further case, 

''He said seeing coverage of the search at his apartment was like "watching burglars" going through his belongings and that he has never lived in the apartment again because it's "contaminated''

He watched the live coverage unfold from Portugal and told the court he could see cops "going through the drawers" in one of the rooms.

Reporter Dan Johnson had received a tip off from South Yorkshire Police about the raid.

The star added: “What the BBC did to me was very wrong. I was portrayed as a sex offender around the world before I had even been questioned by police.”

What if, they the police had found embarrassing but innocent items, unrelated to any perceived crime would they have held them up for the BBC cameras, laughed and shouted eureka?

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
    This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at July 18, 2018 2:14 PM BST
      July 18, 2018 2:05 PM BST
  • I don’t think the press went into the flat, but they had a helicopter which enabled them to view the search through the windows.
      July 18, 2018 9:23 PM BST
  • Whatever it was wrong, where is the innocent until proved guilty.   Or at least until a criminal charge is made against a person.   I know a transwoman that was accused of shop lifting, when they searched her house they lined her sex toys up in the bedroom window, during the search.   When she was taken down the police station, she eventually proved she was at work when the incident took place, the shop keeper identified her from a previous incident, when she was found guilty and got probation, she had never gone back to that shop, being too embarrassed,

This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at July 19, 2018 12:18 AM BST
      July 19, 2018 12:16 AM BST
  • I agree it was wrong. It will be interesting to see where the balance between privacy for the accuser & accused ends up.
      July 19, 2018 9:46 PM BST
  • The papers today, claimed that because of their early reporting in other cases, referring to Stuart Hall, Rolf Harris,  William Goad, & Savile that other people came forward, Wrong.  Those people had already been arrested and charged before the rush of accusations, as reported today in several papers.   In this instance it was sensationalism at it's worst.   I believe until sufficient evidence has been gathered to charge someone the law should protect privacy, in this instance the BBC was tipped off by the police.   One paper even claimed that MP Chris Hunne case of perverting the cause of justice by allocation speeding fines to his wife would have been covered up if it was not for their early reporting, how absurd.

If the media has prior information about such crimes, they should report it to the authorities, not take it upon themselves to publicly report it, there is the offence of failing to report a crime and with-holding evidence, perhaps perverting the course of justice, (prejudicial reporting)

Typically the reporting of crimes committed by transsexuals always where sex crimes are the topic, the emphasis is on the gender change, as if that was the reason they commit such dastardly crimes.   Revealing information that by law is protected, previous names etc.

When a Gender Recognition Cerificate (GRC) is awarded, it becomes a criminal offence to reveal the owner's transgender history. At present the fine is £5000. It is the individual who reveals the name, not the organisation for which they work, who will face charges. There are no exemptions for journalism as there are with the Data Protection Act. Section 22 of the Gender Recognition Act was created with an "expectation of privacy" in mind.

It is important for a transgender person to be able to wipe the slate clean, to live a life free from persecution. Provided they have no outstanding debts, their credit history will be erased. They will be entitled to a new passport and driving licence. There is even a fresh birth certificate to help them through life. All of this is to no avail if their previous and current name are linked on a website. When this happens, such a person has no choice but to change their name again if they want the privacy to which they are entitled.

Whilst the legal position is not cut-and-dried, it is heavily weighted in favour of the transgender person. Even colleagues discussing a post-transitional person may be in breach of this law. Even before the award of a GRC, charges of harassment may be applied if the person is reported about on separate occasions using their previous name. Any article remaining on the internet following the award of a GRC may expose its author and editor to risk of prosecution.

The award of a GRC is never publicly announced, of course. There have been no high-profile prosecutions under Section 22 but that situation is unlikely to last. It is best to respect the terms of the person's deed poll and refer to them by their chosen name only.

July 19, 2018 10:49 PM BST