Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Coming Out » I guess... here I am.

I guess... here I am.

Tags : None
  • Hi everyone - I think as little as three weeks ago I didn't imagine I'd be here doing this. But... here I am having told all the important people in my life (well outside of family) that I'm transgendered, I always have been, and that I'm seeking to be referred to a gender therapist.

I'm 35 years old now... I was first on this site under another name 10 years ago, when I had just come out to my girlfriend who was incredibly supportive. I didn't know the way life was going to go from then. My girlfriend became very very ill, both physically and mentally, before suddenly passing away just under 3 years ago. Something I am honestly still working through. She was just 32 and she was so wonderful, and became so not herself, incredibly so near the end. It's been so tough.

The bi-product of all this was my girl side never got a real opportunity to breathe. Eventually she got put in a box. Life was complicated enough. I got depressed without really realizing it and completely let myself go. I hated what I saw in the mirror so I stopped looking in the mirror. I just... I dunno. I drifted for years. I kind of accepted that life would never be what I imagined it. 

Now I'm 35, nearly 3 years out from my gf dying and I think I've reached a point where it's do or die... that is where my depression is. I feel like I have lost everything... but I want to gain back myself. 

So I told all my close friends. Spent two weeks doing it. Everyone has been accepting and supportive. Astonished - I don't present in any discernible way as trans. I guess I've hidden it so well, even from myself. But it's who I am. I've known since I was 12, and it's been there since I was 6. I'm Sarah... I just don't know what kind of Sarah I am. I've never believed transition to be realistic for me. But now... I don't have any excuses. In any case... I am out of the closet now. Not sure there is any going back. 

Which is terrifying and exciting all at once. But these are my first steps. And it's nice to be back. 10 years ago everyone was lovely here. I wish I'd stayed and explored this all better. But I am happy to do it now. There is a long road ahead of me and a lot of work to be done, and I'm hopeful I'll get some help and make some friends here along the way. 

August 19, 2018 8:42 PM BST
  • Good luck Sarah, just aim to be the best Sarah that you can be, and be happy with that. A xx
      August 19, 2018 9:31 PM BST
  • Welcome back Sarah, I'm still here after more than 10 years!

Good luck on your journey.

xx

August 20, 2018 11:16 AM BST
  • Hi Angharrad - Thank you :) I will try to be the best Sarah I can. 

Hi Lucy - I remember you (your name stands out!) - you welcomed me warmly then too, thank you.

August 22, 2018 10:58 PM BST
  • Hi Sarah

Remarkably I have also been here for over 10 years. I have not had such misfortune and so have avoided being thrown into the deepest despair, but I have and continue to endure the gloominess of living afraid in the closet. You are young, don't ever forget but do chase Sarah and run everywhere with her.

Rachel

a girl at heart and a proper person too
      September 13, 2018 11:03 PM BST
  • Welcome Sarah,

I am sorry that you have lost somebody dear to you, but it is great that you are moving on.

:)

September 19, 2018 10:19 PM BST
  • Welcome back Sarah, I feel like I have been here forever,   It's hard to empathise with someone who has lost somebody they loved and were loved in return. unless one has been through the same thing, I'm sure your GF would be proud of you, with a ''live your life to be happy''

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
      September 28, 2018 8:52 PM BST