Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » General Forum » Mere Newton-Matza has passed away!

Mere Newton-Matza has passed away!

Tags : None
  • 2 2627
    I only just found out. I guess she passed on Christmas Day.
    <p>Karen Brad</p>
      December 31, 2018 7:37 PM GMT
  • Meredith passed away on Christmas day in Kansas City, KS.  Circumstances surrounding her passing are unclear, but here is what we know.

Authorities have classified the death as an overdose.  While she was not a drug user, she had been drinking heavily, so it's likely that alcohol poisoning was the specific cause of death.  As some may be aware, she had been working at a Walgreen's store, where she finally felt free to express her identity.  She very much enjoyed working there, but she was abruptly terminated on or around Christmas.  As you can imagine, she was devastated.

I don't know what to say, except that it is so sad that another person in our community who had so much talent and potential will not live to see the promise of the new year.

January 1, 2019 11:04 AM GMT
  • I remember from trannyweb MEREDITH and KAREN BRAD use to talk a lot together. I also remember you ROBYN. I think you where from Baltimore.

January 1, 2019 7:36 PM GMT
  • 2 2627
    Yes Mere & I were very close friends. But she started keeping things from me. I didn't know how bad things were. She had lost everything that mattered to her. 
    <p>Karen Brad</p>
      January 1, 2019 9:28 PM GMT
  • I am back in Baltimore, after living in a couple of other places.  Sorry for my long absence.

January 1, 2019 10:59 PM GMT
    5 2127 2‚ 0
    This is terrible news. I’m so sorry. Thanks for letting us know Robyn.

Was Mere still together with her partner? She must be devastated.

Last time we were in touch Mere was working at a museum in Chicago. It sounds like a lot has happened since then.

This is so sad.

Katie
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm!
      January 3, 2019 6:27 AM GMT
  • I will PM you my number.  Give me a call.  It's time we did some catching up.

January 3, 2019 10:20 AM GMT
  • Its  been  a  very  long  time  since I  ve  been  here  on  GS but  as a  member  from 2008  I  do  recall Mere  and  she will  be  missed  by  All  who knew  here . Its  sad  to think that such  a  death has  happened  this way   I  will  remember  her  and  the  good  spirit she  always was  in . 

January 6, 2019 5:36 AM GMT
  • Very saddened to hear about Meredith's passing...what terrible news...and on Christmas Day.  I remember her from when I first joined here many years ago...wish I'd gotten to know her a bit better.  Prayers to all her family and friends...may she rest in peace...

Monika

January 8, 2019 2:27 PM GMT
  • She`ll be missed. I knew her since trannyweb days. I knew she was dealing with depression. She was happy I saved her once. Now she is taken away.

r.i.p Meredith

January 8, 2019 9:26 PM GMT
  • I heard the dreadful news a few days ago and its not yet sunk in. I''d known Mere ever since i joined back in the old TW days & i used to call her all the time. I still remember that 1st phone call back in 04. At the time i was having a wee bash at my place and a few of the TW girls including Mandy Walker and Christina Dearlove who were here. Mere got to speak to all of us that day and it is something i've never forgotten :(

January 9, 2019 2:45 PM GMT
  • thanks for letting me know Robyn. Been out of the loop for a wile now, couldn't even sign in on my old account. After 8 years I hung up my uniforms again and retired with the rank of Captain. I will check in from time to time.

January 16, 2019 5:21 AM GMT
  • Thank you for letting us know Robyn. Anyone who knew Mere will miss her. She was a great personality from the old days at TW and I believe she was the first person I ever spoke to in the chat room in those days. 

I haven't been around for a very long time and the last I heard, she was doing okay in Chicago and was still with Josie. It's such a shame that this happened but is a powerful message to us all about the difficulties that being transgendered brings. 

My thoughts go out to her child(ren). 

Every woman is beautiful, some show it with their faces, others show it with their hearts.
      February 3, 2019 12:39 PM GMT
    5 2127 2‚ 0

I was so upset when I heard about Mere passing on at the end of December.   It was so sad and so unnecessary.

It was good to see all those old names and faces I used to know on here ages ago and it was nice to chat with some of you too.  I haven't forgotten any of you.  It's just a shame that something like this had to happen to bring us all back together again.

Hugs,

Katie  x

Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm!
      March 2, 2019 4:37 PM GMT
  • Gosh I remember her. We didnt really say much to each other. So cannot say i knew her other than a passing comment here and there. However its sad news for any one to pass let alone someone from the old guard. My heart goes out there.

Boy or Girl? Who cares as long as im beautiful.
      March 15, 2019 9:36 PM GMT
  • I will miss Mere ! We spoke on infrequent occasions, but I always checked in on her

to see how she was doing.  She was an author, who wrote mostly historical books,

with my favorite being her book on Jazz history.  You can find her books on Amazon,

under her pen name Mitchell Newton.

Her move from Chicago to Denver was good for her.  That is where she met her love Josie.

She blossomed in Denver, and was working at the Natural History museum and later the 

Molly Brown house (of which the movie "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" was based).

Unfortunately, as many TG Women know, it is easy to fall into a dependence on Alcohol.

This coping method was hard on her, on Josie and their life together.  It was with deep sadness

that I discovered she had passed.  The world lost a professor, a historian, and a wonderful woman

struggling to make sense of a complicated life we in the TG community have to lead. She is now free and in

God's hands now.   Take care Mere, and know that there are those who remember you.

Michelle

This post was edited by Former Member at April 11, 2019 6:51 PM BST
      April 11, 2019 6:49 PM BST