Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » General Forum » Gender GP Suspended

Gender GP Suspended

Tags : None
  • http://www.lgbtlife.co.uk/british-doctor-providing-care-for-1600-trans-kids-suspended/

Is it me or are they targeting anybody outside the NHS who handles trans kids?  Also, some of the GMC charges are that he is unqualified in the field.  Looking at his credentials he seems to have enough to satisfy.  Even so.  How do you become qualified in this field?  If having 1600 patients doesn't make you an expert, what does?

This is another posting of the article:

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3588654-dr-mike-webberley-suspended

I find the responses interesting.  Is it me or are there a few negative mums getting on the band wagon?  I mean, what mother would join a forum with the tag "Sexnotgender"?  I get the feeling that a load of trolls have just signed up dummy accounts just to rant.

Depressing.

May 18, 2019 10:03 PM BST
  • The reports are confusing, If I had an impacted wisdom tooth I would'nt go to see a hairdresser who sometimes did pedicures.    The GMC is quite clear and there are procedures laid out in Health guidelines and in the GRA, that GP's should refer these patients to a Gender Clinic, GP's should certainly not prescribe hormone treatments unless instructed to do so by the Clinic after exhaustive consultations.   The long term effects of HRT can be irreversible and damaging especially if the patient also has a genetic condition, this is why Clinics do blood tests and in some cases full genetic DNA scrutiny.   The thought of children being giving hormone therapy without close supervision is dangerous to say the least. 

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
      June 3, 2019 7:24 PM BST
  • Yeah, its not that clear.  Gender GP are private providers and many parents have turned to this source of support for their children.  I think that the GMC is right, but there also needs to be more guidance for private practices in the UK, as there are a lot of desperate parents out there who can get frustrated by the wait.  There is definitely room for a private provision, but I think that there are also a lot of unscrupulous people who will exploit this.  As you say, the reports are a bit confusing.  I also found the comments very negative, again without too much outside of a news article.

June 3, 2019 10:10 PM BST
  • Duty of Care and the law.   Prescription drugs.

prescribing and managing
    medicines and devices (2013)
    1 In Good medical practice (2013)1
    we say:
    n 12 You must keep up to date with, and
    follow, the law, our guidance and other
    regulations relevant to your work.
    n 14 You must recognise and work within the
    limits of your competence.
    n 16 In providing clinical care you must:
    a prescribe drugs or treatment, including
    repeat prescriptions, only when you
    have adequate knowledge of the
    patient’s health, and are satisfied that
    the drugs or treatment serve the
    patient’s needs.
    b provide effective treatments based on
    the best available evidence
    f check that the care or treatment you
    provide for each patient is compatible
    with any other treatments the patient
    is receiving, including (where possible)
    self-prescribed over-the-counter
    medications
    n 18 You must make good use of the
    resources available to you.
    n 19 Documents you make (including clinical
    records) to formally record your work must
    be clear, accurate and legible. You should
    make records at the same time as the
    events you are recording or as soon as
    possible afterwards.
    n 21 Clinical records should include:
    a relevant clinical findings
    b the decisions made and actions agreed,
    and who is making the decisions and
    agreeing the actions
    c the information given to patients
    d any drugs prescribed or other
    investigation or treatment
    e who is making the record and when.

Obviously this is not being carried out in this case.

Cristine Jennifer Shye.  B/L.  B/Acc
    This post was edited by Cristine Jennifer Shye. BL at June 7, 2019 12:40 PM BST
      June 7, 2019 12:34 PM BST