Who remembers Trannyweb?

• 2127 posts
    October 12, 2020 6:33 PM BST
    Who remembers Trannyweb.  I just stumbled across these old screenshots from the good old days...

• 2127 posts
    October 15, 2020 12:58 PM BST

It was a long time ago.  Trannyweb was what this online community was originally called.  We had to change the name because the word ‘tranny’ became increasingly toxic and we had to change our rickety old software because the developers would no longer support it.  

I vaguely remember we had asked the existing members to come up with a new name and Gender Society won.  I think a lot of our members at the time wanted us to distance our community from the other cattle market sites out there so we needed to sound more respectable.

Trannyweb was a busy and vibrant community though (started in 1999) with lots of people online at any one time.  The forums were the jewel in the crown as you can see from the huge number of threads and forum posts (which by the way, are still available today). 

The transition to The Gender Society took place in 2011.  Unfortunately, a lot of the long-time regulars who used to be permanently logged in, didn’t like the change and/or couldn’t find their way round the new site and they left us, just when we really needed them.

Some stalwarts did stay though and some are still here today.  

However, I have to admit that I took my eye off the ball too and I was not around much for a few years after I took a pretty demanding job.  I am in the process of leaving that job now so I hope to get back to normal here soon.  

We also need to start doing all the marketing stuff we used to do in the old days, to get more new members in the door and make this place busy again, like it used to be.  That’s my next project!

Hugs,

Katie   x

• 54 posts
    October 15, 2020 1:08 PM BST
    Wow, I didn't know all that. Anyway, glad to know you are doing okay. I guess Frock Magazine is a thing of the past, but I look forward to seeing your forum post. I miss not being able to go to the movies anymore because of Covid, but have been watching some good programs on Netflix. They have a new one today called, "Social Distance," and it looks good. Keep in touch!
    Gerri 
    • 136 posts
    October 15, 2020 11:47 PM BST
    Katie!!!  WOW!!!I haven't logged in for a L-O-N-G time.... and then there was this post about the old days of TrannyWeb! I was updating my login passwords file, and had a notion to see if the site was still functional. I was thrilled to see that you're still here. There has certainly been a LOT of "water under the bridge" since those 'old days'.I recall back in the days of TrannyWeb, the appeal to raise funds for the site to keep it afloat. That's when I bought a lifetime membership. And then there was the necklaces, the silver ones of the Transgender symbol. I still have mine. I have it put away in a safe; I must get it out and check out the serial number... I think it was #15????A very good friend of mine kept a journal of our "Tranny" nights out, and has been dropping occasional emails such as .... 17 years ago today, Nicole and 'Andrea' went to "blah-blah restaurant" and then to the Symphony... I had no idea that 'Andrea' was keeping a journal, but it was lovely that she did.I will be checking in from time to time, now that I'm retired. Perhaps we can discuss a bit more of the "good-old, bad-old days".HugzNicole (Knikol)
    • 2358 posts
    October 16, 2020 10:06 AM BST
    I think I joined about 2004-2005, Organised themed chat parties, lot of fun, about 2007 I was made head of forums, made a lot of amusing and factual posts even some controversial ones, many taken out of context, but always attracted attention and responses if some were very negative.    When Trannyweb became the Gender society I gathered a few people to become site moderators lovely helpful team, keeping the site clear of trolls, keeping the home page clear of sleaze and wiping out literally 1000's of spams.   Shame that when I stepped back from heading up that team due to studying and work I was unable to devote as much attention as the site needed many of the site and forum mods just seemed to vanish, lose interest.    I will always remember some advice Katie gave me
    when in the early days of being a mod, I was verbally abused, it upset me and I threatened to leave,
    Katie said if someone on your land line gives you grief, do you cut your phone off.    Of course not, this site gave me an insight a reason to keep going, helping other like minded people.  
    • 2127 posts
    October 16, 2020 10:14 AM BST

Great to hear from you Nicole.  Glad to hear that all is well with you.  Please do visit us regularly and bring all your friends too.  

I’m going to search through some old disk drives and see if I can find more of those screenshots from the old days.

Hugs,

Katie   x

• 41 posts
    October 19, 2020 1:09 AM BST
    Site was trannyweb when I joined. Lots of folks on chat then. Haven't been back very often lately.
    I miss Frock very much. Hope to see some things that will draw people back. Hugs to everyone.
    Jan

• 746 posts
    November 4, 2020 5:10 AM GMT

I miss the old days of carefree chat and helpful conversations.  

Hope everyone is doing well!

Love,

Traci xoxo

• 54 posts
    November 4, 2020 1:05 PM GMT
    Yes, and I also miss Frock Magazine. Any chance of it coming back?
  • November 5, 2020 12:31 AM GMT
    Yes i remember the name coming up in google searches years back. Dint know it was connected to this site
    This post was edited by Former Member at November 5, 2020 12:34 AM GMT
    • 2127 posts
    November 5, 2020 2:05 PM GMT

Great to hear from some of our old members from way back.  We still have the potential for carefree chat now.  It never went away.  We just need some carefree chatters to actually chat.

And yes, Frock Magazine was ours.  I was the editor for almost ten years.  In that time we published well over forty issues.  Even  if I say so myself, Frock was innovative and fresh and from the outset we tried to make each month's new issue completely free - no strings.  It was paid for by advertising.

However, our niche was very small and we only had a very finite number of advertisers.  They too tended to be small businesses which could not really afford long term magazine advertising and eventually they started to dry up.

Try as we might, we just could not attract any big advertisers and the little ones dropped off, one by one, even though we had a far greater circulation around the world than any other Trans or drag magazine.

In the end, I was running on fumes and had to take the painful but necessary decision to put Frock on hold while I went away and got a proper job to pay my household bills, which were stacking up.

Frock is still on hold today - not gone forever, just on hold until the day comes when I can devote time and effort to it once again.

To that end, we are looking at opening up the Frock Archive which was available once before and also closed around the same time as Frock went on pause.

We previously charged $29.99 per year for unlimited access to the archive which contained over forty back issues and a few 'specials'.

I wonder if anyone would be interested today?  It would cost quite a lot to get it all back up and running again, in terms of both money and time.  If there's an interest, the Archive could be reopened by next week but if not, perhaps we should just leave it as a nice memory from our past.

Let me know your thoughts girls.

Hugs,

Katie   :)

This post was edited by katieglover at October 18, 2022 1:59 AM BST
    • 54 posts
    November 6, 2020 1:35 PM GMT
    I enjoyed writing the movie reviews for Frock, and would be open to do so again if we ever get back online. 
    • 54 posts
    November 6, 2020 1:37 PM GMT
    On a different note, the four year nightmare named Trump, is coming to an end 
    • 54 posts
    November 10, 2020 1:34 PM GMT
    Recount this!
    • 171 posts
    November 12, 2020 10:51 AM GMT
    Hi Katie

From one of your Trannyweb Stalwarts, with love.
    Without you I wouldn’t have discovered me...

Hugs

Rachel
    • 2127 posts
    November 12, 2020 6:54 PM GMT

Lovely to hear from you Rachel.  We've missed you.  Please do spend some more time here. 

I'm really keen to get this community moving once again.  There are some lovely people here now so there's no reason why we can't make it busy and vibrant like it was before.

Hugs,

• 374 posts
    December 9, 2020 12:45 PM GMT
    I joined back around 2003-2004 and have remained a member through the changes.  Trannyweb was the first TG site I joined and it became a lifeline for me for many years as I could meet and chat with like minded people.  I loved the old chatroom...there were always lots of peeps there whenever you dropped in!  I wish a similar chat could be brought back some day!  Lots of great memories and still friends with a few people from back then!  Thanks again Katie for all you've done for the community throughout the years!

Hugs & kisses,

Monika XOXOXO
    • 2127 posts
    December 10, 2020 1:58 AM GMT
    It’s lovely to hear from you Monika.  We go back a long way.

I wish the chat room could be as busy as it used to be back in the day.  All it needs is
    some people to chat.

Please ask all your friends to stop by, maybe each evening. Then maybe we can get it going again.

Hugs,

Katie.  x
  • December 16, 2020 9:13 PM GMT
    HI Everyone -  I do remember TW, as I joined in 2004-2005 as well. Back then, my
    name was Michelle Lynn and I remember many of you.  I now go by Michelle Gweneth,
    as it seems to suit me better.

As an older sister, I've since retired and moved up to the Wine Country in Northern California.
    I now live on a small estate - 4 acres, a cute house, 21 fruit trees (11 varieties of citrus), and a very nice private swimming pool.

Upkeep on the property keeps me busy, between mowing the lawn, gardening, cleaning the pool
    (I'm the Pool Girl), general house Maintenance (I'm also the HandyGirl) and polishing all the wood floors.  I can't use the pool yet, as it is unheated and it is winter here.  But once the water in the pool heats up, I'll be out there in my bathing suit. I'll need to lose a lot of weight before I dare wear a bikini though.

Katie - Thank you for starting it all back then, as it was a lifeline to me. As for all the wonderful girls back then, I really appreciate all the help and advise you all gave me back then.

I hope that everyone is safe and healthy this holiday season.

Michelle Gweneth (formerly Michelle Lynn)

This post was edited by Michelle Gweneth at December 19, 2020 9:36 PM GMT
    • 2127 posts
    December 20, 2020 3:05 PM GMT
    Hi Michelle,

I remember you well and it's lovely to see you back again.  I hope you will stop by frequently.

Hugs,

• November 22, 2022 1:58 AM GMT
    I was an early member, but left for a few years.  Always found to be a great form, so I am back as of today.