Populism and Transgender violence

• 1652 posts
    December 1, 2020 12:59 PM GMT
    Laverne Cox attacked in L.A.

It's sad that this is still happening anywhere in the world. As a child I was led to believe that the USA was the world's model for a free country, where everyone was welcome. I'm quite old though so that was a long time ago; apartheid in The States had ended less than 20 years before I was born, black women were only given the right to vote in 1965, when I was two years old.
    Gay and trans rights are another matter entirely, but the prejudice towards all of the above seems to come largely from the same groups. During Obama's 8 years of presidency attitudes seemed to be improving, equal rights for trans were clearly moving forward.
    And then, declaring promises of solidarity with the LGBT movement, enter Trump. His promises are notoriously fickle. Suddenly there was talk of "bathroom bills", transgender people were banned from the military, proactive discrimination was on the rise, so called "patriots" were at once incensed and empowered. No rainbow projections on the White House for this president.
    It would be a whole other thread to discuss the political discord that Trump and his enablers have brought about, all the while blaming everything on anyone but themselves. Right-wing militias are chomping at the bit to get their guns out and shoot some Commies, or do we call them Marxists now..? Whatever, "they" are the enemy, ie anyone who is different. Barbecuing ribs on the back of a pick-up trip whilst swilling beer are prerequisites to being a decent member of society. Men wearing dresses threaten the existence of good people everywhere, apparently. 
    They'd be happy to shoot those trans folk too, without even questioning their political beliefs.
    It must be a worrying time for all sane Americans, and it's going to take some time for the poisonous damage towards LGBT's to be repaired. One hopes that with Biden's message of unity there will at least be some success with this.
    It remains to be seen, when the next republican administration reclaims the White House, how poisoned by Trumpism they will be.
    • 54 posts
    December 1, 2020 2:02 PM GMT
    Well said Lucy. Thank God that Trump has been removed from office; this guy could have done irreparable damage in another four years of office...not only to human rights, but also to the environment. Trump is nothing but a shil to fossil fuel lobby. He needs to climb back into his hole, and not come back.  
    • 1652 posts
    December 5, 2020 1:36 PM GMT
    • 54 posts
    December 5, 2020 2:27 PM GMT
    That is correct. Thank God!
  • April 6, 2023 1:09 PM BST
    I completely agree with your assessment of the situation. We need more people like you who are willing to speak out and take action.