On being free

Tags : None
  • 'I wish I knew how it would feel to be free' is a jazz classic recorded by Billy Taylor in 1963. It became an anthem for the American civil rights movement and has been covered many times since. Over here in the UK it was the intro music to the film news show Film 80 / 81 / 82 etc which was presented by Barry Norman.

I would like to be free to identify publicly as Ariane without arousing fear, distress, and hostility from society in general and my family and friends in particular.

I would like anyone to be free to say what they think without being censored or attacked. Subject to safeguards in extreme cases – for example incitement to terrorism or racial hatred should still be a crime.

I would like a popular freelance football pundit to be able to express a view on the government's Illegal Migration Bill without being taken off the air by the state-owned public service broadcaster.

I will not be watching Match of the Day until further notice. Solidarity. I will be interested to see this weekend's viewing figures and also if anyone can be persuaded to present the programme and offer punditry. This post was edited by Ariane Durand at March 11, 2023 7:17 AM GMT
      March 10, 2023 6:50 PM GMT
  • I want a well-known independent football analyst to be permitted to discuss the government's bill on illegal immigration without fear of being fired from the state-run public station.
      March 21, 2023 6:50 PM GMT