Does this help??

• 1198 posts
    November 8, 2004 11:56 AM GMT
    Hello to all my American sister's, well as you have had a pretty bad week all of you i thought this might add a bit of humor to your day.....enjoy......love JJ xx

President Bush was visiting a primary school and he visited one of the classes. They were in the middle of a discussion related to words and their
    meanings.

The teacher asked the President if he would like to lead the discussion on the word "tragedy". So the illustrious leader asked the class for an example of a "tragedy".

One little boy stood up and offered: "If my best friend, who lives on a farm, is playing in the field and a tractor runs over him and kills him,
    that would be a "tragedy."

No," said Bush, "that would be an accident."

A little girl raised her hand: "If a school bus carrying 50 children drove over a cliff, killing everyone inside, that would be a tragedy."

"I'm afraid not," explained the president. "That's what we would call great loss."

The room went silent. No other children volunteered. Bush searched the room. "Isn't there someone here who can give me an example of a tragedy?"

Finally at the back of the room a small boy raised his hand...

In a quiet voice he said: "If Air Force One carrying you and Mrs.Bush was struck by a "friendly fire" missile and blown to smithereens, that
    would be a tragedy."

"Fantastic!" exclaimed Bush. "That's right. And can you tell me why that would be tragedy?"

"Well," says the boy, "It has to be a tragedy, because it certainly wouldn't be a great loss and it probably wouldn't be an accident either".

• 1198 posts
    November 8, 2004 1:40 PM GMT
    Sorry if this has caused any offence Gloria and the rest of the sister's in the US, i started it so i'll apologise for any offence taken.........love JJ xx
  • November 8, 2004 2:07 PM GMT
    know it was just in fun, I don't see anyone poking fun at the Queen.

All to the tune of the english national anthem...

"God save our gracious queen;
    She's eaten to much beans.
    She might explode...."

And then of course there's Tony B-liar.

Of course, the Queens hubby, the Duke of Endinborough is always good for a laugh. He's said some darned funny things over the years, he's famous for it. Like asking the Australian aboriginals, when speaking to them about their lifestyle, whether or not they still threw sticks at each other, amongst various other things.

It's not limited to other people leaders Gloria. It's just that people tend to notice it more when it's they're own. IOur authority figures are easily a mach for yours!
    • 166 posts
    November 8, 2004 2:45 PM GMT
    Hi Everyone, I've learned that (discourse?) talking politics or esp. religion can get rather heated here ! It seems I'm again,often in the minority,when it comes to My personal beliefs. At great risk (?) I'll admitt -I voted for "W", mainly because I agree with Republican ideals,ie; smaller government- less taxes-etc. I'm painfully aware that whats happnin' in the good ol'USofA, is perhaps not what Jefferson or Lincoln("Republicans")would have envisioned, neither would FDR envisioned that the DFL would loose in nearly all agricultural States!? Our finest ,fight their way into Falluja Iraq, today and My prayers are with them. I'm greatfull also, for the many UK and other coalition souls doing their duty also, reguardless of personal politics,-- still our closest alies.Sooo-let Me have it then-eh?
  • November 8, 2004 2:56 PM GMT
    Ok, here's a few of his better ones...

"Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed" - during the 1981 recession.

"If it has got four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but is not an aeroplane, and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it" -at a 1986 World Wildlife Fund meeting, with the chinese delegates present.

"It looks as if it was put in by an Indian" - A classic taunt at the working class, while the royal was pointing at an old-fashioned fusebox in a factory near Edinburgh in 1999.

In Cardiff in 1999 he visited a school for young deaf people. Also there to greet him was a welcoming steel band from a neighbouring youth club. "Deaf? If you live near this, no wonder you are deaf".

"If you stay here much longer, you'll all be slitty-eyed" . A cheerful chat to British students in China during the 1986 state visit

and finally from me, a quote which beggars belief...,

"People usually say that after a fire it is water damage that is the worst. We are still trying to dry out Windsor Castle." - said to a man who lived in a road where 11 people had been killed by wreakage from the Pan Am jumbo jet, on visit to Lockerbie in 1993.
    • 364 posts
    November 8, 2004 7:40 PM GMT
    Friends should not argue about religion or politics. Having said that I am inclined to agree with Gloria. The US elected Bush with a clear mandate and will have to accept his policies. Bush's lackey in Australia was similarly elected and I being in the minority will also have to toe the his line.
  • November 10, 2004 2:27 PM GMT
    "We all now have got to suffer because the majority of the US electorate can't live without their guns & are so short termist to think they'd be better off with tax cuts. I wonder if the average American has got a clue as to US foreign policy?"

Sarcasm On:
    OMG can you imagine that... US citizens voting against a tax hike and voting to keep a constitutional right. The nerve of them!! I’m sure the saner people of the world would want to pay higher taxes and give up their personal freedoms.
    Sarcasm Off:
  • November 11, 2004 2:58 PM GMT
    Gloria,

Just a quickie honey - are you now claiming loyalty, as well as all other attributes of blessed citizenship on your teams side?

Would that infer that those who have truly patriotic feelings to the creed and basis of this nation and don't want to see it perverted into a fundamentalist hell are unloyal?

Has everyone who disagrees with you failed the McCarthy test?

Just do me a favor - the flag belongs to those who support America and not those who support fascism. Don't wave it in my face. I'm sure the Jews and Catholics and homosexuals, Gypsies, drug users and intellectuals - and eventually everyone who disagreed with Hitler - didn't like having the flag waved in their faces. At least in Germany, Hitler had enough respect to change the flag before he started his reign of terror.

Maybe you need a new flag!

Maybe the rest of the world sees something you can't. Or is it the new version of "Germany above all else." ?

We saw where that went.

Poland is seven days! Iraq in three weeks!

Joe P

• November 11, 2004 7:37 PM GMT
    Wendy,

Hello.

Excuse the direct reply, but I have been following your responses and I wanted to correspond directly with you.

You have a very educated and level headed approach to this entire discussion, something which I no longer feel constrained to maintain, and therefore, I am going to gracefuly bow out of the discussion and make no further postings on this subject.

Seeing how you do understand what is going on,(as have some others)and have expressed what needs to be said so eloquently, there is no need for me to add or detract.

Politics is a very important part of my life, but I came to this site for a very different reason.

If you were to open a thread about the politics of tans-generism, I would very gladly participate.

I will follow this thread, but merely as an observer; as I believe what I have to say and the manner in which I would express it would only serve to create friction in a community that really needs to be brought closer together.

Respectfully,

Joe P
  • November 15, 2004 8:29 AM GMT
    Gloria,

I have really decided not to respond to the heavy political stuff on this board.

If you would like to continue a discussion, I would be willing to do so via e-mail, rather than on this site.

By the way, I supported Goldwater in '64. What you know about politics views is about as asute and accurate as what talk radio throws out.

As far as your being a vet: there hasn't been a war in my lifetime that was needed to protect this country, or my liberty. And so your service, in whichever of the recent wars you participated, gave me nothing, added nothing to my security, and I have no need to appreciate and be thankful for your service.

You're asking me to support you just because you mindlessly followed. Big deal.

If you would like to continue a discussion, please email me via my tranny web page. I would rather keep this off of this board.

Sincerely,

Joe P
  • November 15, 2004 1:03 PM GMT
    "Politicians! Don't vote for them it only encourages them!" - Billy Connolly.

"I'm a politician, therefore I am a liar and a cheat. When I'm not kissing babies I'm stealing their lollipops" Chief of Defence to Jack Ryan, Hunt for Red October.

Think that just about sums it all up really.

That's all I'm going to say on the issue.

Alex
  • November 8, 2004 12:09 PM GMT
    My last word on the election ..

.. Sorry if anyone's ofended by bad language, but.

Cerys xx
  • November 8, 2004 1:15 PM GMT
    Hi Gloria

I don't agree with much of what the Queen says, does or spends .. and she's ours! I didn't create the image it was sent to me by a friend in Spokane by the way.

Let's draw a line under the election shall we, he won, we're all stuck with him, let's learn to make the best of it.

Cerys xx
  • November 8, 2004 1:39 PM GMT
    Gloria

I guess we in the UK feel that who runs America has a bearing on what happens here in the absence of any coherent British foreign policy other than to follow the lead of the US. That's not your problem, that's ours, and we have to sort that out.

I'm not anti-American Gloria, I'm married to one (and yes she voted for Bush).

Cerys
    (loyal to my country; but not automatically to its government)
  • November 8, 2004 2:44 PM GMT
    Shan

.. Not to mention the ridiculous sight of a man who spent his youth shooting tigers being patron of the World Wildlife Fund ...

(the D of E that is, not Dubya)

Cx
    • 2573 posts
    November 8, 2004 6:14 PM GMT
    I don't like George Bush. I think he's an idiot and that is my kindest interpretation of his behavior, because the other makes him a monster....I give him the benefit of the doubt. As a loyal American, and Constitutionalist, I will continue to oppose those actions which President Bush takes that I disagree with. That is my DUTY as an American citizen....whether or not I am proved correct or incorrect in my judgement.

That said, I would step in front of a bullet aimed at my President. That is also my duty. I would be protecting the office, not the man.

I remember Vietnam. I remember it as a military brat, an ROTC cadet, training with Special Forces, carrying a steel pipe to get past demonstrators to my college classes....and as an opponent to a war that I finally realized was wrong. In the meantime, over 50,000 of my brothers and sisters died in a war which was a terrible mistake, and they took a lot of Vietnamese lives with them. To me, supporting our troops means ensuring their lives are not wasted....not supporting actions that one does not believe are correct. That, too, is my duty. Their's is to follow the lawful orders of their Commander in Chief. Dissent is a necessary part of a democratic nation. To simply accept the government's decisions, without question, is not supporting our troops, it is being lazy or thoughtless. We owe them our considered participation in government, whichever side we take. There are too many faces on the dead in my memory.

A government which cannot stand criticism probably needs it the most.
    • 2573 posts
    November 11, 2004 11:10 AM GMT
    Sarcasm Off:
    1. Ziggy, maybe you could reserve complete judgement until AFTER you have had to defend your home and loved ones and neighbors with a gun. I have many times; the majority of my assailants were not Americans. The last three times the police response times were 20min, 25 min and 50 min AFTER the shooting stopped. I will keep my gun, thank you. In fact, if I did not have a gun, I would NOT be "getting it up", ever, because I would be dead.
    2. The reason there is a Second Amendment in the U.S. Constitution is, to a large part, based on the American experiences with the British government in the 18th Century. That is not a slap at Britain, just an observation.
    3. "Argumentum ad hominum abusive" is a form of illogical argument. You don't need that, Ziggy, I have seen how well your mind works.
    • 2068 posts
    November 15, 2004 11:29 AM GMT
    Cerys and JJ...both pieces were Brilliant.Gave me a right good giggle.As for everyone else argiung and bickering over the rights and wrongs of Dubya and things...life is too short to worry about such things in the way you are.Nobody in this world is 100% perfect,we all have our faults..even dubya.we've all got to try and get on as best we can.This may sound like total crap to you,but this is just how i feel inside,and if it offends anyone then i am truly sorry...but life is for living,so lets do it!!
    • 2068 posts
    November 15, 2004 11:58 AM GMT
    thanx gloria,i was a bit worried about what i'd posted but seeing your response has made me feel a lot better! love maria xxx