The bus strike

• November 9, 2004 11:58 AM GMT
    We have a bus strike in Helsinki region today...and maybe tomorrow, too. This morning I succeeded to get to the job in a collegue´s car (a man). It required a phone call to another collegue (a woman) and we together more or less forced the guy to collect us from the roadside. We live in the same direction, all of us three. Well..he was actually nice and polite, opened doors for us etc. .

Laura
  • November 10, 2004 7:00 AM GMT
    This morning they still strike. But some buses move, I succeeded to get in one of them. On the stop I met a male collegue of mine...or better to say he met me, because he first said "hi" and he sat next to me on the bus. He is from the general plan, not from my floor, but we know each other, already before my transition. We had a nice chat about this and that on our way to the job. And as I stepped out of the bus, I heard a woman´s voice say "Hi Laura". That was Tiina, one of my friends, who was taking her twin daughters to the school. That gave me an overwhelming nice feeling for the day. I have so great collegues and friends around me....

Laura
  • November 10, 2004 8:04 AM GMT
    Yes Sandra, I guess you´re right. I am a woman to my collegues, both to those who have seen my transition as well as to those who are new here and know me just as I am now.
    It must be partly because I´m so open myself, using much humour, taking the initiative into my hands that there are no bad talks moving around behind my back.
    And if you imagine yourself into the place of my collegues. If the person looks like a woman, she talks like a woman and acts like a woman, how long can you keep in your mind that the person once was a man? It is MUCH easier to drop the whole subject and simply take the person as a woman.

Laura
  • November 10, 2004 8:20 AM GMT
    I don´t think dresses or heels would help. They would see you as "a man in a dress" just like my ex in the divorce meeting, even though her lawyer has just said she first thought I was the new girlfriend of the former husband.
    As my mother still called me "her dear son" I said quite nasty that I am not a son. So, she made the first step and started to call me "her dear child".
    I guess you must take the topic into a conversation with your parents. Say that you wish they would use female expressions about you. Say it in a friendly but a firm way. This is what you wish from them, could they do that for you?

Laura
  • November 10, 2004 8:36 AM GMT
    From my close relatives only my children started to use the name Laura already before the official name change. Last November I was sick at home and Emma sent me medicine per post in a letter...on it "Laura T.". .

Laura
    • 2068 posts
    November 9, 2004 2:36 PM GMT
    that's nice to hear,laura! you enjoy all that's comin your way honey.love and xxxxx maria