Forum » Gender Society Public Forums » Passing in public » Among "normal" patients

Among "normal" patients

Tags : None
  • I expected today that somewhere in the big hospital someone would have noticed the contradiction between my name and id code. I had to stop at two desks and show my health insurance card. But nothing happened, they acted completely normally with me.
    It can be that they face so many different "cases" that I´m really not one of the worst. Even the nurse, who was with me in the surgeon´s room and heard me saying "I´m more eve than adam" was afterwards extra friendly to me and smiled to me in a very friendly way.

Laura
      November 11, 2004 9:49 AM GMT
  • In my case it can be a) They don´t get the whole picture b) They understand what it´s all about, but are very tolerant.
    I don´t know which one of these is true...actually I don´t much care. Probably the truth lies somewhere between these alternatives. They get "something", but since the patient seems to be a woman, they treat me as such.

Laura
      November 11, 2004 10:18 AM GMT
  • That´s what I say, always.

Laura
      November 11, 2004 10:23 AM GMT
  • But it's different here in the United States. I've been living
    full-time since 1992 and the some of the problems I have have
    still are jobs and some locker rooms with pools. The last time
    that I tried to go swimming, the I was the only swimmer there
    and to try to keep me out they asked me for ID. Mine has M on it
    but I wasn't going to show it to her. I was afrais that she would call the police. Before that the principal of the school
    asked me via a letter if I could dress somwhere else.
    How do some of you girls get the F on your license even if you
    are a pre-op?
    Girls Rule!!
      November 12, 2004 5:24 AM GMT
  • And I have M even now when I´m post op.

Laura
      November 12, 2004 8:07 AM GMT